5.9l Misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
I am going to look at a 1998 Ram 1500. The guy says it's got a misfire at idle and runs rough until 2500 rpm. After that it's completely normal. Any thoughts about what it can be? Maybe a tune up would solve it? Maybe injectors? One thing I've been reading about and not liking the sound of is the plenum gasget?

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Assuming that the '98 OBD module diagnosed misfires like my 2001 did, there should be a code for an actual misfire. On one of my tune ups, I didn't have one of the spark plug wires on the plug completely, and when I started it up the first time, it ran rough and threw the cylinder # misfire code. Made it pretty easy to find the culprit.

Running rough, though, might not be a misfire. Could be a bad O2 sensor which should throw a code, the breather filter assy not on the TB tight (code on that, too, and you can hear the air sucking in), bad catcon (code there, too). I'm sure there are plenty more causes, and I don't know if the ones I've listed would cause the running rough all the time or only at lower RPMs like the owner said.

I would only worry about the plenum gasket if it loses a lot of oil. I never replaced mine, and I probably could have. It lost oil its whole life from 1/2 quart brand new to 1 1/2 quarts now over the 3k mile oil change interval. It's burning oil now, though. What bugged me more about that whole thing was that Dodge's idea of fixing it was the death flash that only ******** the timing and robbed HP.

OP
OP
Braeden Clark

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
Assuming that the '98 OBD module diagnosed misfires like my 2001 did, there should be a code for an actual misfire. On one of my tune ups, I didn't have one of the spark plug wires on the plug completely, and when I started it up the first time, it ran rough and threw the cylinder # misfire code. Made it pretty easy to find the culprit.

Running rough, though, might not be a misfire. Could be a bad O2 sensor which should throw a code, the breather filter assy not on the TB tight (code on that, too, and you can hear the air sucking in), bad catcon (code there, too). I'm sure there are plenty more causes, and I don't know if the ones I've listed would cause the running rough all the time or only at lower RPMs like the owner said.

I would only worry about the plenum gasket if it loses a lot of oil. I never replaced mine, and I probably could have. It lost oil its whole life from 1/2 quart brand new to 1 1/2 quarts now over the 3k mile oil change interval. It's burning oil now, though. What bugged me more about that whole thing was that Dodge's idea of fixing it was the death flash that only ******** the timing and robbed HP.
Ok well I will have to check for codes when I go to look at it. Really hoping it has a code to help pinpoint the issue. If there are no codes what all should I look at?

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
My 99 was like that when I got it and turned out to be a burned valve.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Well i sure hope its not that. How expensive was that fix?
Not too bad at the time. I bought 2 rebuilt heads for I believe 400, but that was 2016. I did the water pump and timing stuff too. It had low compression on #1 cylinder. It would miss idling, then smooth out once you took off. I didn't have a garage at the time, so I just bought rebuilt heads and took it to my dads house to fix one weekend. If you had time too take it apart and wait a good engine machine shop could fix a head cheaper than you could buy it.

OP
OP
Braeden Clark

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
Not too bad at the time. I bought 2 rebuilt heads for I believe 400, but that was 2016. I did the water pump and timing stuff too. It had low compression on #1 cylinder. It would miss idling, then smooth out once you took off. I didn't have a garage at the time, so I just bought rebuilt heads and took it to my dads house to fix one weekend. If you had time too take it apart and wait a good engine machine shop could fix a head cheaper than you could buy it.

How did you boil it down to a burned valve? I would really hope that if I bought this truck this would not be the issue. I have a tendency to buy "bulletproof" motors and have them be a lemon for me. My Jeep 4.0 had/has issues.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
How did you boil it down to a burned valve? I would really hope that if I bought this truck this would not be the issue. I have a tendency to buy "bulletproof" motors and have them be a lemon for me. My Jeep 4.0 had/has issues.
Check compression. And if the exhaust is decent you can do the dollar bill test. Hold a dollar over the tail pipe, if it tries to suck the bill in the pipe then an exhaust valve is leaking.

OP
OP
Braeden Clark

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
Check compression. And if the exhaust is decent you can do the dollar bill test. Hold a dollar over the tail pipe, if it tries to suck the bill in the pipe then an exhaust valve is leaking.

How bad it is to drive with a burnt valve? Can't you unplug that injector? Also did yours only misfire at idle?

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Well I guess I will have to see how bad the miss is and go from there. I would really hope a tune-up would solve the issue.
Be cautious cuz it's the same bull crap that guy told me when I bought mine. I figured it was more than just a Miss but I was looking for that particular truck at the time and it was the only one I could find. It's getting really really hard to find one in any kind of good shape

OP
OP
Braeden Clark

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
Be cautious cuz it's the same bull crap that guy told me when I bought mine. I figured it was more than just a Miss but I was looking for that particular truck at the time and it was the only one I could find. It's getting really really hard to find one in any kind of good shape

Yea people right now are asking premium prices for rusty ****boxes. The price of this one is fair if it's as rust free as he says. Even if one of the heads needs work then I can still justify it because of the cost. Also, if I bought an extra junkyard head and took it to a machine shop to look over, would it be safe to swap that head in if the shop finds no issues? Basically is it OK to only replace one of the heads?

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Yea people right now are asking premium prices for rusty ****boxes. The price of this one is fair if it's as rust free as he says. Even if one of the heads needs work then I can still justify it because of the cost. Also, if I bought an extra junkyard head and took it to a machine shop to look over, would it be safe to swap that head in if the shop finds no issues? Basically is it OK to only replace one of the heads?
You can, but I wouldn't do just one. You're already that far in, might as well do it. Remember to fix the plenum gasket too while you have it off.

OP
OP
Braeden Clark

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
You can, but I wouldn't do just one. You're already that far in, might as well do it. Remember to fix the plenum gasket too while you have it off.

Well you have been very helpful. Even though I REALLY hope it wouldn't be anything like that I guess its best if I am aware of it. Luckily if I buy this truck I can sell my Jeep for about $1500 more then the price of the truck. So that could help if it's something worse then I want it to be.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Well you have been very helpful. Even though I REALLY hope it wouldn't be anything like that I guess its best if I am aware of it. Luckily if I buy this truck I can sell my Jeep for about $1500 more then the price of the truck. So that could help if it's something worse then I want it to be.
I had a 99 XJ with a 4.0 before I had this truck. Only got rid of it because the body was rusting out

OP
OP
Braeden Clark

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
I had a 99 XJ with a 4.0 before I had this truck. Only got rid of it because the body was rusting out

Yea I am getting rid of my Jeep mostly because of rust. The PO of my Jeep hid a ton. Painted over every spec of rust. Not to mention he sold it to me with a cracked head and never told me about it. Motors for those are so cheap I should have just bought a whole new motor instead of fix the lemon of a 4.0 that it had. That's why I am weary of buying a truck with possible engine issues.

Bear_Gibson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Yea I am getting rid of my Jeep mostly because of rust. The PO of my Jeep hid a ton. Painted over every spec of rust. Not to mention he sold it to me with a cracked head and never told me about it. Motors for those are so cheap I should have just bought a whole new motor instead of fix the lemon of a 4.0 that it had. That's why I am weary of buying a truck with possible engine issues.
That's basically how I got mine. I was working on a truck for a guy and that's how he paid me. But I figured the head was messed up when I got the Jeep. I knew he had overheated it. Jeep engines are expensive out here

OP
OP
Braeden Clark

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
That's basically how I got mine. I was working on a truck for a guy and that's how he paid me. But I figured the head was messed up when I got the Jeep. I knew he had overheated it. Jeep engines are expensive out here

Yea I can buy a used good running 4.0 for dirt cheap where I live. I should have done that instead of buy a reman head for about the same price. I would have offered like $700 less for the Jeep if I had spotted these issues beforehand.

OP
OP
Braeden Clark

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l

I am now reading stuff where these magnum heads crack very often. So.... that would suck. Would that cause a misfire? How common is this?