5-speed swap to 8-speed possible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I spoke on the phone today for an hour and a half about swapping an 8 speed into my 2010 ram. He said he will sell me a computer for $1000. And it will work, but torque management. Only downside is he Said tranny cannot send message back to the computer, to reduce or increase power.
Said will work fine in a stock bolt on application, but not 600whp. Said other options are in the works to remedy this issue.
Said if someone is local with a ram and does the swap, he can figure it out. His name is Russell and hes in Seattle washington. Super nice and knowledgable guy to talk to.
http://soundgermanautomotive.com/

Last edited:

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ooh, that is very interesting. I'm sceptical. I'm fine with my 545RFE. However, an 8 speed would make my truck perfect.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Why? What about the 6 makes you want the 8? The 8 speed has a mechanically heated fluid feature, what will you do with that? Set that up, or delete, can you delete?

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not see if you can use a 13+ PCM along with the TCM and just turn off features your 09-12 Ram does not have?

I would think matching the PCM and TCM would be the best way to go.

2009 QCRB 4WD - 4.56/Shorties/FMTB/Intake/Exhaust/6” on 35’s/lots more [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Thought the Nag 1 was only option for 8-speed in a 5 or 6.

Oops its a 5-speed

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well that was easy. 47,000 miles

View attachment 151916

If you're buying a used transmission from a wrecker,make sure you ask them if it came out of a rolled truck.You don't want a tranny out of a rolled vehicle,especially if it was running at the time of roll over.Things run dry instantly,and all the **** that was in the bottom of the pan,is now all over the inside of the tranny. Found that out the hard way years ago,lol.

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, didn't read close enough as it states it is for the 5.7. Good luck, will be a great upgrade if it works.

How is the ankle comming along ?
Now they wanna operate on my actual ankle muscles/tendons and drain fluid. I cant win. I blame it on JB1 for cursing me falling down my front yard. Lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
When trannys dont blow all the time they are cheap. Hence all the cheap prices

View attachment 151926

I'd look for one that has the heater assembly.You can easily bypass the coolant heating ,but you'll need it for the thermostat and to also hook up the cooler lines.
The majority of the transmissions you're showing above have the T-case adapter,except the bottom tranny,you'll want to make sure you get the t-case adapter with the tranny.I think both the 44-44 and 44-45 t-cases bolt up to the adapter,but you'll want to check into it.

Last edited:

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you going to change the fluid and filter before or after the installation, or even at all?

What is the Shifter inside the truck going to look like?

I'm perfectly content with my 5/6. But this is an interesting subject.

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you going to change the fluid and filter before or after the installation, or even at all?

What is the Shifter inside the truck going to look like?

I'm perfectly content with my 5/6. But this is an interesting subject.
I'm still throwing around the idea of 4x4 and shifter location. Where is the 4x4 button on the 2014+ trucks?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm still throwing around the idea of 4x4 and shifter location. Where is the 4x4 button on the 2014+ trucks?

Shifter buttons are in the steering wheel,shifter knob and 4X4 selector are towards the bottom of the dash just to the right of the steering column.I've kinda been wondering how you'd go about changing gears on this swap,with-out changing out the whole steering column.I have paddle shifters in my truck,but only because it has the right clockspring and internal wiring in the column,to make it possible to add the paddles.As far as I know,you can't run paddle shifters in the older trucks as the column itself isn't set-up for the factory shift buttons in the steering wheel,but maybe he's found a work around for the ERS in trucks not originally equipped with the 8 speed.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/srt-steering-wheel-swap.83820/page-2

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shifter buttons are in the steering wheel,shifter knob and 4X4 selector are towards the bottom of the dash just to the right of the steering column.I've kinda been wondering how you'd go about changing gears on this swap,with-out changing out the whole steering column.I have paddle shifters in my truck,but only because it has the right clockspring and internal wiring in the column,to make it possible to add the paddles.As far as I know,you can't run paddle shifters in the older trucks as the column itself isn't set-up for the factory shift buttons in the steering wheel,but maybe he's found a work around for the ERS in trucks not originally equipped with the 8 speed.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/srt-steering-wheel-swap.83820/page-2

I honestly wouldn't use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel anyway. I will probably mount the knob where it should be, but I'm gonna have to research where the 4x4 control goes. Gonna guy the newer dash bezel.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I honestly wouldn't use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel anyway. I will probably mount the knob where it should be, but I'm gonna have to research where the 4x4 control goes. Gonna guy the newer dash bezel.

They don't originally come with paddle shifters,mine are a custom set-up.Stock the shifter buttons are on the right side of the steering wheel. There is no console shifter option for the 8 speed trucks,but with some engineering you might be able to adapt the console shifter out of the Challengers into the trucks to give you some sort of shifter.Adapting the PRND knob and the 4X4 selector won't be hard,but i'd imagine you'd still want some way of being able to manually shift the tranny,as just adapting the PRND knob,only allows access to drive,no option to manually control the shifts.You could theoretically set it up with a good quality HP tranny tune,and set the shift points via the tune I guess,but that does leave a bit to be desired especially if you do any towing.Keep us updated on how you make out with this swap,as i'm sure there's a few guys interested in how the 8 speed swap into a 5/6 speed truck pans out.