5 weeks with the 2016 Ram...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After the ill-fated 2013 was turned back in on the 7th day, the only other Ram the dealer had in stock that I would consider was the current 2016 Sport. It has the 3.92 rear axle and 8 speed trans. Over all it is very similarly equipped to the 2013 Laramie that had the valvetrain noise [random chirp from just under the intake].

The differences were the air suspension on this one as well as the brake controller [which I will be using at some point when I trade my pipe top trailer for a high boy flatbed]. The other difference was the transmission. This one has the 8HP70. I had no idea how well I would like the combination, but after 5 weeks I can safely say I am very pleased with it. Aside from wishing it had the floor shifter, it is light years ahead of the GMC's 4L60E. No hunting for gears, no 70 MPH downshifts into a lower gear than necessary, very smooth shifts and outstanding engine braking when downshifting. At first I was leery of the fast shifting out of the lower gears, but have gotten used to it. I have towed several times up to around 6k [trailer plus load] and aside from the lower mileage expected in tow-haul mode, the trans has performed very nicely. I never allow the MDS to kick in, wish there was a factory switch or control to eliminate it without a tuner, but at some point, I will add one. I have gotten used to using the +- buttons before leaving each time.

So in towing about once a week, never using MDS and selecting tow-haul even with the empty trailer, I am averaging about 17.5 MPG. My GMC had a 3.42 and never got above 15.8 average. The air suspension is a fantastic option. Love the auto-adjust feature. I haul a lot of wood and tools back and forth to the jobsite everyday so it comes in very handy.

Just had my first oil-change [I get free changes until I hit 86k...I am at 46k now] and they used Mobil Super blend 5w30 and Purolater 1 filter. I am under warranty until 113k, but at the end of the free changes I will be switching to RedLine and buying an extended warranty to last until I sell the truck.

The stereo [Alpine 9] is fantastic...love the UConnect 8.4 as well except for one thing....hate the NAV interface. Mounted my Garmin above in the tray that has the RAM letters. I am used to the night mode on it and it has free updates for life. Hard to imagine paying $100 each year to update maps. Most will never have to do it that often, but here in Texas, we grow FAST.

Aside from blacking out the chrome and adding only two aftermarket parts [light bar and lights up front], I am leaving this one bone stock, a somewhat radical departure from the past for me. First thing I usually do is modify the exhaust, but I love the quieter but still very cool exhaust note of the factory system. That will not change. Also love the responsiveness of the motor...I may add a tuner at some point to kill the MDS permanently, but no other mods under the hood are planned.

This is by far the nicest truck I have ever owned and my first step away from GM since the 70s. I will never go back at this point, very impressed with the Ram. I am old enough to know all trucks have problems over time, but the ticks and other minor problems I have read about are not as bad as the piston slapping, trans failures and oil pressure issues I have been used to for the past 8 years or so.

Bars0.jpg

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad to hear you're enjoying it! My 2016 has treated me well over the last 3.5 years of ownership. I agree - the transmission is great. It pairs very well with the 5.7.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just picked up a 2016 as well as my 2010 finally lost a power steering pump and ac all at once while i was down south... no pump availible for at least 7 days so i was forced to move on. So far I love mine .. 2016 sport crew cab 4x4, 8spd is wonderful. Mine has 3.21 rear end and coming from a 3.92 in my 2010 its abit of a change but I love it all the way around fully loaded truck with more features than were on my wishlist for a new truck!