500 mile range?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have never read about hydrogen dissipating from tanks, so not sure about the science behind that. Will need to research more.

It was from an "engineering explained" youtube video, possibly this one below. I think it was a BMW 7 series that they were testing, they have to keep it cooled to incredibly low temperatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJjKwSF9gT8

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The goal was to get the hydrogen fuel cell to run on something other than pure hydrogen.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hydrogen is stored either as a highly compressed gas (apparently this is how most vehicles currently store it) or in liquid state that requires extremely cold temperatures. I haven't watched the video, but without some type of containment failure, not unlike a hole in a gas tank, the hydrogen should remain at volume until used. But still learning more every day.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
EVs are going to improve their ranges and battery technology, but they may never be really suitable for towing long distances. They are best as commuter vehicles. They may be a steeping stone to the next technology like hydrogen or ammonia.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hydrogen is stored either as a highly compressed gas (apparently this is how most vehicles currently store it) or in liquid state that requires extremely cold temperatures. I haven't watched the video, but without some type of containment failure, not unlike a hole in a gas tank, the hydrogen should remain at volume until used. But still learning more every day.

I'm trying to remember what he said but basically, these tanks have a pressure relief for safety reasons, and it's either hard or impossible to keep hydrogen at liquid state without some energy from outside warming up the fuel, which then raises the pressure causing the "leak". IIRC.

You can store it as a gas but capacity goes way down and range is abysmal.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I received an email from FCA this morning stating that if I pay a $100 fee, I will be a REV insider. Which would enable me to have latest updates on the future EV, and the opportunity to pre-order my REV etruck. So now in order to get one I have to buy a insider club membership?

Hard pass!
Yeah me too. I had to laugh. Not gonna happen. LOL.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Not interested in being a Beta Tester, on my Dime.
Not interested in waiting for infrastructure to catch up with technology.
Definitely not interested in pausing, in my long trips, while waiting for my vehicles turn, at the few charging stations, available.

When its all done, ready for prime time, and everything is in place, then I might be interested but doubt I will still be driving then.

Something for my Grandkids to consider though.

Liken it to Television.
Came out, 1930's?.
Got popular in the 50's.
Cable in the 70's
Satilites in the 80's
1080 in the 90's
Larger screens, in the 00's

etc etc

Figure , just like with TV sets, microwaves and every new great thing,
we are about 20 years from realizing any true social change over
and 30 years from common acceptance and penetration.

Oh wait, none of those had Big Oil fighting it tooth and nail

makes one want to rush out and snap up one of these new EV;s right away.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
NOT angry! - of course I AM!!!! at people telling me "and you" what you WILL be forced to buy!!!!!! And again as I said, lots of "stuff" quoted from the Almighty Computer with no information, as to what testing was done to get those results, how that testing was controlled and on and on it goes. Battery cars have been around LONGER than gasoline cars, and in MY opinion STILL DO NOT FUNCTION well! Everything has good and bad points!!! I believe that both of us not only have the smarts to choose what we want to buy, have the RIGHT to do so!!!! No one gets ALL the information from a COMPUTER, as a human is the only one putting the info on it. and OPINIONS ARE NOT FACTS!!!!!! WHICH IS WHY people should make THEIR choice. NOT ANOTHER Dementia JOE.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ford Lightening is being recalled due to battery something or other. Well that didn't take long.