5100 RHA Headaches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

montgomery1321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So I put the Bilstein's on back in 2020 and it's been headaches ever since. Took caution to ensure an alignment was done after any adjustments to get the truck where I want it. Currently it's at the TRX/17.5mm setting, which is the first up from stock. I have a slight lean to the rear I'd like to get rid of, but more so I'd like to get rid of the metal on metal squeaking I've been dealing with. Before moving the height down I had the pleasure of discovering the top of the strut had rubbed the threading off on the opening of the

I'd like to say that I did the work myself after watching videos of people do it step-by-step and followed the instructions (which aren't very thorough).

So, if anyone has advice on alignment specs, tips to keep them from shifting (yes everything is torqued to the factory specs) I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• 20211231_162103.jpg
    20211231_162103.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 31

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I don't think the alignment is what caused your problem...

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did you torque it? I’ve had bilstein 5100 in my truck for 4 years. I have a 2017. What it looks like is either it wasn’t torqued properly or if there was a washer it was missed or installed in the wrong side allowing for play in the shaft.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
So I put the Bilstein's on back in 2020 and it's been headaches ever since. Took caution to ensure an alignment was done after any adjustments to get the truck where I want it. Currently it's at the TRX/17.5mm setting, which is the first up from stock. I have a slight lean to the rear I'd like to get rid of, but more so I'd like to get rid of the metal on metal squeaking I've been dealing with. Before moving the height down I had the pleasure of discovering the top of the strut had rubbed the threading off on the opening of the

I'd like to say that I did the work myself after watching videos of people do it step-by-step and followed the instructions (which aren't very thorough).

So, if anyone has advice on alignment specs, tips to keep them from shifting (yes everything is torqued to the factory specs) I would greatly appreciate it.
The bolt wasn’t tightened down all the way. Most likely due to the spring not being compressed enough

OP
OP
M

montgomery1321

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Going to pick up new upper strut mounts now. I got a friend that does mechanical work giving me a hand, and I'm thinking the spring not being compress enough is what the cause was after we took it apart. Tighteninh those things down is tricky without a passthrough socket thank you @Quick_Shifter for pointin that out.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Out of curiosity are you planning on reusing that strut in the pic? It’s missing six thread twists. In my humble opinion it looks unusable.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Going to pick up new upper strut mounts now. I got a friend that does mechanical work giving me a hand, and I'm thinking the spring not being compress enough is what the cause was after we took it apart. Tighteninh those things down is tricky without a passthrough socket thank you @Quick_Shifter for pointin that out.
51E03D3F-2234-4E64-B308-B0295EFA5DC4.jpeg9E30CBD3-9129-420B-914D-3C45C027E26D.jpeg

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I think it looks like you were missing the washer that goes under the strut mount (i.e. top hat). The shaft pushed through the strut mount and that is why the hole in the mount is oval, and the threads are missing and shaft galled.
Negative. The picture I posted were eibach which do not require a washer. Where the threads are clean is where the nut was (protecting those threads) since the nut was not tightened all the way it rubbed the hole in the top had ovaling the hole and allowing the shaft to start passing through. If I had a dollar for the amount of times I’ve seen this I would have retired years ago. The rental spring compressors are made for cars and dont do well compressing truck springs.
It’s not impossible but it’s a very easy mistake to make when it’s your first or second time installing them

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Negative. The picture I posted were eibach which do not require a washer. Where the threads are clean is where the nut was (protecting those threads) since the nut was not tightened all the way it rubbed the hole in the top had ovaling the hole and allowing the shaft to start passing through. If I had a dollar for the amount of times I’ve seen this I would have retired years ago. The rental spring compressors are made for cars and dont do well compressing truck springs.
It’s not impossible but it’s a very easy mistake to make when it’s your first or second time installing them
Good clarification - and my mistake. I didn't catch the pic you posted were of the eibachs!

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Good clarification - and my mistake. I didn't catch the pic you posted were of the eibachs!
No worries. The eibach and Bilstein are very close to the same. It was just the most recent in my camera roll. We are all here to learn from each other

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The rental spring compressors are made for cars and dont do well compressing truck springs.
No truer words have been spoken! I used four compressors, all in good condition, threads greased and it was a chore to do manually. Have done more than a few cars but my first experience with a truck and it’s an easy mistake to make.