5100s and poor man's lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Altgilbers14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's been a while since I've been on here, but I remember reading something about using the bils 5100s and something else to basically get a 4inch lift. Am I remembering wrong? Currently have 5100s up front set to 2.8, with nothing on the rear...would love to get about a 4inch lift all around. Thoughts?

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Either this coming weekend or next, I'm going to be installing 2 inch spacers on top of my Bilsteins at 2.8 along with some ready lift UCA's. A lot of people have told me not to do it, but there are a couple who have already done it with STOCK UCA's, so I'm going to be a test subject and do a complete write up on it.

Or you could always just throw a 1.5 inch body lift on your truck

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Altgilbers14

Altgilbers14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you doing 5100s all around? What brand spacers? People haven't had issues doing this with stock UCAs?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Look into eibachs lift coils front and rear. They'll allow you to squeeze a little more out of the 5100s without much extra preload, plus they'll gain you 1-1.5 extra out back. Than toss in a 1.5 body lift from zone and boom. A budget lift of 4"

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even if we get past the UCA failure probabilities

If your truck is 4x4 will the front CV angles be ok for long term use?

FlaSeadude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's been a while since I've been on here, but I remember reading something about using the bils 5100s and something else to basically get a 4inch lift. Am I remembering wrong? Currently have 5100s up front set to 2.8, with nothing on the rear...would love to get about a 4inch lift all around. Thoughts?

Have you not read the sticky above?

"Stacking Leveling Kits

The answer is no! Again, this is one of those things where I don’t care what your buddy told you or what you think… there’s no if, ands or buts. You cannot stack a spacer on top of Bilsteins to get additional front end lift. Typically you do not want to lift your front end any higher than 2.8” without doing a control arm and front diff drop. You will be putting your entire front end out of spec, your control arms and CV shafts will be at ridiculous angles which will be wearing everything out very fast and I doubt any shop will be able to align your front end. If you want that much height you need to start looking into lift kits rather than leveling kits."

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want to get about 4” of lift and you’re dead set on not just getting an actual lift kit then I’d do:

Bilstein fronts at 2.1 or 2.8
rear coil spacer
body lift

Or get a 4” lift kit and be done with it...just avoid all the poor front end geometry and wear/tear you’re going to get with maxed out Bils and a spacer on top of that without any of the necessary adjustments to the spindles and front diff...

I think there’s a reason you’re seeing most adjustable front coil overs stick to the 2-2.8” ride height increase because beyond that it requires additional parts.

moparpeetie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have that poor mans 4" lift!!!
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT STACK !!!
I actually have Bils at 2.8 , 3/4" TGC rear spacer and a zone 1.5" body lift. 35x12.50x18 BFG a/t's
No rub, no issues!!!
Don't take my truck hardcore off road but do take it off road. Works just fine and less th a $500 in lift parts. I did the install myself which I would say saved around $1200 between the Bils and the body lift(labor)
That's what just the 4" suspension lift alone costs, then labor...if you don't do it yourself. So for what I do it works great and is cost effectiveIMG_20180318_164228006_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Altgilbers14

Altgilbers14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you have to do anything with your exhaust or steering? How difficult was the install on the body lift? Had you done one before? Did you have any help?

moparpeetie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you have to do anything with your exhaust or steering? How difficult was the install on the body lift? Had you done one before? Did you have any help?
With steering? NO... (just an alignment)The exhaust is fine but tips are a little low but I have 5" tips that are going on(don't have a tig so gotta get someone to weld them) and that won't be an issue..The Zone body lift was simple, worst part was notching the bumper, but if you have air & die grinder it makes quick work if it. I did have a buddy help with the bumpers, its easier than trying to hold them and fasten them alone. The body spacer pucks were easy, one side at a time.

P_20190113_170638.jpg

P_20180520_192840.jpg

Triumphx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just go with a 4” suspension lift or bils and body. Why rig it and potentially spend more money on repairs down the road. Do it right or don’t do it at all imho