545 RFE TRANSMISSION 2004 DODGE RAM 1500 5.7 HEMI 4X4 Help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dfridleyjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2010
Engine
5.7 Hemi and 6.7 Diesel
Rebuilt trans with new clutches and seals. After install and fluid fill reverse and neutral work great but when put into drive the engine would die as if you turned the key to off position. Topped off the fluid and this solve the issue. Till the next day when it still shut off with fluid full. This happened a few times then started remaining running while in drive gears. Now that the engine is not shutting off first gear engages but does not stay engaged. It feels like it should when you first go from neutral to drive but then doesn’t maintain pressure and no grip. The following bullet points are the desired Pressure vs actual line pressure. (Tested using a Snap On Verus Scan tool).

· Reverse (des. 119)( actual 119) then after a few seconds (des 40)(actual 40).

· Neutral (des. 119)(actual 119) holds.

· Drive (des.119)(actual 119) holds for about 1 sec. feels like it locks in then goes to (des. 159)(actual 30) and holds with no engagement.

· From drive to neutral (des. 159) (actual 30)

· From neutral to reverse (des 159)(actual 30) stays the same pressures from when the issue with drive falling out happens.

· From reverse to park (des 159)(actual 30) stays the same pressures even if you go back through the gears.

· Turn the engine off and back on and the cycle repeats itself.

· Tested all circuits (1-5) as well and we get the correct Closed/Open signals when the TRS is in each position.

The concerns are do we have a solenoid or valve body issue or a seal blow by issue. Where to go from here? We also ran the diagnosis to check the solenoids and that tested out fine.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Did you perform a QuickLearn on the trans after filling it with fluid?

Does the Snap-On Verus have the capability in the PCM to perform the QuickLearn Procedure?

I would either perform the QuickLearn or have a dealer do it before doing any further with my diagnostics. The QuickLearn procedure resets the Transmission CVI's, or Clutch Volume Index, which is the amount of fluid required to apply a particular clutch.

If you have not performed a QuickLearn then the CVI's that are stored in the PCM are from the old clutches and the numbers will be alot higher because it requires more fluid to apply old and worn clutches than it does to apply new clutches and steels.

OP
OP
D

dfridleyjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2010
Engine
5.7 Hemi and 6.7 Diesel
Yes it does tried the quick learn and it would not do anything when pressing the brake. Set for about minute and nothing changed. How long should it take?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes it does tried the quick learn and it would not do anything when pressing the brake. Set for about minute and nothing changed. How long should it take?

Not long at all, procedure goes:
1. Start engine
2. Press brake
3. Place in drive
4. Vehicle runs itself through every gear to measure CVI values
5. Place in park
6. Complete

OP
OP
D

dfridleyjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2010
Engine
5.7 Hemi and 6.7 Diesel
Thank you. What I expected but this one doesnt do anything. The scanner guides you through the above steps. It just isnt responding when pressing brake. I will review and try again.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I think you may have to get your hands on a different scan tool or even a StarScan or Star Mobile or even a WiTech VCI Pod to perform the QuickLearn. Ive had some trouble in the past with aftermarket scan tools and QuickLearns. The only one I was able to get to work 100% correctly was a MAC Determinator with all of the latest updates.

OP
OP
D

dfridleyjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2010
Engine
5.7 Hemi and 6.7 Diesel
Thanks for your answers guys but I have one more question regarding the quick learns. Since we have put in new clutches theoretically I should have smaller clearances and there fore require less volume to engage clutches than what is stored in the PCM? Therefore wouldnt I expext my condition to be opposite right now ie engaging with a high pressure (truck should move) and needing to relieve some fluid applied during the quick learn process?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks for your answers guys but I have one more question regarding the quick learns. Since we have put in new clutches theoretically I should have smaller clearances and there fore require less volume to engage clutches than what is stored in the PCM? Therefore wouldnt I expext my condition to be opposite right now ie engaging with a high pressure (truck should move) and needing to relieve some fluid applied during the quick learn process?

You are correct in thinking that the overall clutch clearance is tighter but the PCM doesnt know that without a quicklearn. The PCM will still try to apply the clutches with the same amount of fluid volume which can overpower the seals.

Do you have access to a different scan tool to perform the quicklearn or even a dealer mechanic friend who can hook you up?

After reading through your original post again and looking at some service information, I think you have an issue with pump pressure. The line pressure sensor will show 30psi even if pressure is zero and I think that is why your desired line pressure readings show 30psi.

Have you installed a mechanical gauge on the trans to see what the actual line pressure is?

First step is to confirm what the actual line pressure is versus the Desired Line Pressure. You are going to need the Line Pressure Adapter tool to install in place of the Line Pressure Sensor so you can connect a mechanical gauge. That will tell you whether the LP sensor is giving a correct reading. If not, first try simply disconnecting and reconnecting the sensor harness, making sure it is properly seated and latched. If the LP sensor reading is still bad, then you have either a bad sensor, bad wiring, or a bad TCM (that can't interpret the sensor voltage properly). If you can get it to a dealership, we have a Transmission Simulator tool (that simulates a "good" transmission) that will allow them to figure out whether the problem is in the wiring or the PCM/TCM.

If the sensor reading is OK (matches the mechanical gauge), next question is: Does the actual LP match the Desired Line Pressure (DLP) value? DLP will vary with throttle, and during shifts. So the key question is whether the actual LP is following DLP properly. You cannot judge whether the LP is "OK" based on its absolute level. You must compare it to DLP. For example, LP of 60 psi is "OK" if DLP is also 60 psi, but if DLP = 120 psi then an LP reading of 60 is "bad" (low). Now you should note that the LP will often be below DLP at idle (especially hot), since the pump speed is low, but this by itself is NOT a problem. If LP is low at idle, bump the engine speed up to about 1200 RPM and check it again. LP should be "OK" at engine speeds of 1200 RPM or higher. Also, note whether the LP is stable, or is jumping around all over the place. Normally, the LP reading will fluctuate within a few psi of the DLP value. But if DLP is stable, then the LP reading should be stable also.

If the LP is unstable (jumping around 10 psi or more, when engine speed and DLP are constant), then I'd suspect low oil level, or a bad filter. So check the level, then drop the pan and look for a bad filter. Make sure the main (flat) sump filter is correctly installed, with the plastic snout pushed up THROUGH the seal in the pump housing (not just resting against it), and make sure the metal flange on the seal is FLUSH against the pump casting all the way around (not tilted). Check that the filter is not split open along the side seam, and that the base of the plastic snout is not cracked. Also, check that the spin-on (cooler return) filter is snug (not loose). It should be HAND TIGHTENED only; if you overtighten it you can crack the threaded plastic snout. Spin it on (like a conventional engine oil filter) until the gasket touches the case face, then tighten by hand an additional 1/2 to 3/4 turn.

If LP is stable, but low (even at ~1200 RPM), then you probably have a pump problem (stuck main regulator valve), or a bad control system (bad TCM). Note, however, that 30 psi is normally the minimum LP sensor reading (it will read 30 psi even if actual pressure is zero), so a constant 30 psi reading could indicate a completely disengaged filter. If you find a "real" low reading (say, 42 psi), see if LP goes up and down as you raise and lower the engine speed. If so, then you almost surely have a stuck main regulator valve (which requires pulling the trans and replacing the pump assy). If you find a stable low reading, that does not change significantly with engine speed, try disconnecting the main 23-pin electrical harness on the trans (while the engine is running), and watch the pressure reading on your mechanical gauge (the LP sensor reading will "freeze" when you pull the harness). If the pressure jumps up significantly (like from 50 to 140 psi) when you pull the harness, then you apparently have a bad line pressure control circuit (bad TCM or bad wiring controlling the line pressure control solenoid).

OP
OP
D

dfridleyjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2010
Engine
5.7 Hemi and 6.7 Diesel
Awesome, as Lloyd Christmas said in Dumb and Dumber; there's a chance?

A few quick answers we have had two line pressure sensors in there , the old one and a new one with the same results. I do not have the line pressure adapter and at the moment I don't have another scanner to connect but with your layout I have a lot of things to check and I will get all the other tools one way or another and see what we got.

Thank you for the excellent detailed explanation! It will be easy to follow.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No worries man. Lemme know what you come up with.

OP
OP
D

dfridleyjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2010
Engine
5.7 Hemi and 6.7 Diesel
Fixed. Pulled valve body and air checks were good. (Under drive blew some back through overdrive or reverse port so I was nervous but all the clutches moved and held a bit of pressure). So swapped out the solenoid pack with a reman I had on the shelf, did a quicklearn (Snap On Verus will perform quicklearn we were misinterpreting when to push the brake) and all is well. Desired and actual pressures on test drive were always about the same or met quickly after. None were above about 120 psi except one time when smashed the throttle and then they were 159 until met and dropped to about 60.

Thanks for the help and hope I can return the favor some time.

Cheers!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ahh very good. I was using a Verus yesterday on my truck to see how the QuickLearn procedure worked and I noticed the same thing with the brake pedal. If I hit the brake pedal at the moment that I thought it was ready the Verus would not perform the QuickLearn but if I did it exactly like it wanted the QuickLearn would run every time. Good job on the diag and repairs.

OP
OP
D

dfridleyjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2010
Engine
5.7 Hemi and 6.7 Diesel
Thanks! Very glad I found this forum. I rebuikd 1-2 transmissions a month and moving to a 2006 diesel 48RE next that has a delayed 1-2 shift and 2 gear starts intermittently. Governor solenoid and speed sensors already replaced. Will see what I find.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks! Very glad I found this forum. I rebuikd 1-2 transmissions a month and moving to a 2006 diesel 48RE next that has a delayed 1-2 shift and 2 gear starts intermittently. Governor solenoid and speed sensors already replaced. Will see what I find.

Along with replacing the Governor Pressure Solenoid, did you replace the Governor Pressure Transducer as well?

Do you have any related DTC's?

The 48RE is one of my specialties. I would look at the TVA, or Throttle Valve Actuator, and make sure it is responding to the test in the scan tool. It may look like it's turning the manual valve but it very well may be slow to respond or it's calibration could be off.
The ECM commands the TVA to a desired position which in turn rotates the manual valve. If the calibration is off it can delay a shift or not return to the correct position causing shift issues.

OP
OP
D

dfridleyjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2010
Engine
5.7 Hemi and 6.7 Diesel
I didnt troubleshoot this one. The owner just pulled it and said go through it. Buying everything new including a valve body. I will check the TVA when done

Thanks again

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I didnt troubleshoot this one. The owner just pulled it and said go through it. Buying everything new including a valve body. I will check the TVA when done

Thanks again
I hate it when a customer pulls the trans and brings it to me and tells me what the problem was and then asks to fix it. Make sure you check the TVA. It could be the entire problem and once you overhaul the trans your customer will try to hold you to account if the shifting issue is still not fixed. I would have your customer bring the truck to you after they re-install the trans so you can run through the scan tool and test the TVA. Hope it all work out.

OP
OP
D

dfridleyjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 and 2010
Engine
5.7 Hemi and 6.7 Diesel
:) I will be ok this time because this customer drives my race car and uses this truck to haul it. If not he can go buy hisbown 8.45 1/4 mile ride!!!!

Cheers