545RFE Locked up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drocket77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So about 2 years ago I put a new shift solenoid in, and it fixed my problems. In December my truck just stopped moving while my wife was on her way to work. It was on the side of the road for 3 hours, and someone cut 1 of the cats out... yea... why not just take both! Well, I finally had some time to take a look. I put both new filters in, filled her back up, and still will not go. I have checked the parking brake, lifted all 4 wheels off the ground and put it in neutral and spun the drive shaft. It turns, and spins the wheels. If I start the truck and put it into gear, it feels like it goes into drive or reverse, but the drive shaft will not spin, it also feels like there is load but nothing spins. Here is a list of codes associated with the trans

P0734 Gear ratio error in 4th
P0760 OD Solenoid Control Circuit
P2706 MS Solenoid Circuit
P0735 Gear ratio error in 5th
P0733 Gear ratio error in 3rd
Than these turned up
P1524 Oil Pressure out of range- Cam Shaft advance/Retard disabled
P0521 Oil Pressure Sensor Performance.

It starts and idles fine, no smoke.....
I am hoping the trans is not toast. I have never done a trans, but am willing to do the rebuild myself. Another question would be, what is a good rebuild kit? I see them from $180-$870.
I know the solenoid code is there, but it is 2 years old, and was not doing what it did previously. Before it went bad last time, i was stuck in limp mode, this time its did not do that.

Sur5er

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd erase the codes and see what comes back...at least to start.

OP
OP
D

drocket77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I only have time on weekends. I am away for work for 5 more weeks, and only home on the weekends. Plan on looking more into it tomorrow.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
May look into alpha obd. There are a series of test it can perform on these trans. This could possibly narrow down your problem(s). Plus its just a good thing to have in general on out Rams.

OP
OP
D

drocket77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a bi directional scanner that can perform some test. I will see what it has on the TCM. And I didn't get a chance to look at it yesterday. I am a driveway mechanic, and the weather here yesterday sucked.

OP
OP
D

drocket77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I did a few tests. I did a 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear clutch test. You have to be at 80 deg F, and have the E brake and foot brake on. If I briefly let off the brake, the tires would spin (rear lifted off ground). I guess I will have to look more into the scanner and see what other tests I can do. I don't think it is the solenoid, because the test allows it to go into that gear, but if I try and manually put it into a gear, it doesn't feel like it goes into it.... So it may be the solenoid... I just do not know.

OP
OP
D

drocket77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, its been a while. Finally had some good weather, and some time to dig a bit further. I bought a new shift solenoid, but that didn't help. I ran a few more tests. Specifically, the overdrive solenoid test. Once I hit the "ok" button on my scanner, the wheels started to spin"on jack stands". So I attempted to go through the gears and it was in 5th, so I started to downshift and all seemed fine until I got to 1st gear. The motor bogged down real bad, and felt like there was jumping around the trans area and the wheels stopped spinning. I am starting to think I may have blown 1st gear.