545RFE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram06_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2006 ram 1500 4x4

I’ve done my research as far as modifying the 545rfe. A lot of searches were posts 2+ years. I have a procharger setup. As of now I’ve changed fluid along with larger trans cooler. Has anyone found the best approach to modifying the 545rfe aside from putting a GM transmission? I’ve read you can retro fit A518 or 727 trans but I’d like to keep my 4x4 if that’s possible, along with my electronic switch for 4WD. Has anything new come out?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
HTC Has people who have done this .there are complete write-ups .

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
8HP70 (or 90) swap for the win.

OP
OP
R

Ram06_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well the 545rfe just gave up the ghost. I read through the hundreds in pages at htc. Unfortunately I could not register due to database issues. I’ve tried several times and even emailed them with nothing. I don’t want a manual valve body. As it’s a daily driver. Can you elaborate more on the 8hp70?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well the 545rfe just gave up the ghost. I read through the hundreds in pages at htc. Unfortunately I could not register due to database issues. I’ve tried several times and even emailed them with nothing. I don’t want a manual valve body. As it’s a daily driver. Can you elaborate more on the 8hp70?
Well, do you want the easier route with a 46RE (only a 4sp) or the harder, more expensive route with a ZF?

OP
OP
R

Ram06_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m stubborn where I’d like to keep as original as possible. I know adding a procharger was asking for trouble. I’m even enticed to go with a stage IV or V ATS transmission just to be done with it. The latest about ATS was about a year ago. They had posted some vids of an hemi running 12psi on their trans. Haven’t seen any updates. A member(mark) at HTC uses the ATS trans and seems to be the only one praising it. Can’t DM as to his opinion on their transmission as of
Late.i suppose I may have to go the 46RE. Some of the write ups involve other models or 2WD or I may have missed it. Would you happen to have an updated link or whats needed? I believe a member used a 700hp kit from PATC for his 46RE? Is this the latest swap or are there better alternatives as far kits go for the 46RE?

Im new to the dodge family, so I’m trying to make sure I do this right.

Thank you

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
46RE on boost you'd wanna talk to Greg (Redtruck-VA) over on HTC; he's here occasionally but usually over there. Chrisp2493 put one in his 2003 coupled with a console install; you can search for his posts and see it. Let's talk pros and cons of both trannies. I'm ultimately going with a ZF swap simply because I want the two OD gears like I have already. I'm just tired of going through trannies lol. I figure if there's a guy in Canadia running around in an 04 QC with a 6.1 based 392 with an 8HP70 then my short term plans will work just fine with it. So:

46RE pros
- proven swap
- can be made pretty damn strong
- can use the factory shifter if so desired
- relatively inexpensive since the 46RE was available in the 3rd gen Ram (albeit not one as new as yours or in a CAN bus vehicle)
- can be manually shifted

46RE cons
- literally only a three speed with a single OD....if you don't go far then this isn't a big deal
- technologically speaking is pretty old

8HP70 pros
- 6 ******* gears plus 2 overdrive gears, amazing gear ratio split with an unholy first gear
- unholy first gear negates need for steeper final drive ratios (this is why Hellcat auto cars come with 2.62's)
- plenty strong, lives behind 485hp 392's all day, even ones with low boost
- can be made even stouter or replaced fairly easily with an 8HP90/95

8HP70 cons
- not exactly cheap to buy a trans outright
- the required adapter harness is a GRAND by itself (but is amazingly simple to hook up, even easier in a CAN bus vehicle. He's almost got it plug and play by now)
- there are no factory parts to put it in anything prior to a 4th gen Ram
- requires one of the available electronic shifters; this is a ***** for 3rd gens because it's either console type or dial, neither which is a quick and easy fix (though he is working on that with his 2010 5.7 Ram test mule)
- no provision for a slip yoke; 4x4's have this easier because you just bolt the t-case on and go. 2wd's have to use a slip driveshaft
- internal software (ZF TCM is inside the trans as part of the valve body, which is why the harness has an OBD port in it) isn't directly compatible with anything prior to a 4th gen at the moment

OP
OP
R

Ram06_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 8hp70 pounds good but sounds like it won’t fit my application. I’m not concerned about the price of adapter or trans as long as it’s reliqble. I dont mind the 4 spd on the 46RE. But the shifting back and forth might drive me nuts. Im assuming no one has completed an 8hp70 on a third gen Ram 4x4?

OP
OP
R

Ram06_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have access to a 2015 ram 1500 4x4.

If I were to go to the 8hp70 route what would I need from donor vehicle?

Trans
Rotary shift knob and harness?
I messaged sound German automotive and said I’d need a TPS, RPM and shifter. I know the acronym for RPM but RPM?

F73907C2-0F35-468E-819A-6AF98AC9924D.jpeg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have access to a 2015 ram 1500 4x4.

If I were to go to the 8hp70 route what would I need from donor vehicle?

Trans
Rotary shift knob and harness?
I messaged sound German automotive and said I’d need a TPS, RPM and shifter. I know the acronym for RPM but RPM?
He means it needs an RPM signal in addition to the TPS signal.
Someone has done a 4x4, that's how it's known that its a bit easier in driveshaft terms. Couldn't tell you who but it makes sense though.
So apparently Ram trannies don't have manual shift feature, interesting I didn't know that. From your 2015 you'll need the trans and shifter (rotary knob). You need to get under and compare t-cases and the front & rear driveshafts to yours.

OP
OP
R

Ram06_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve tried registering at HTC several times and even emailed admin. Apparently they cannot access their database to verify new registration. It’s been a week waiting.
I’m trying to contact 2 people who have successfully completed the 46re swap. But I can’t contact them without being a member, lol. I plan on going the 46rh swap. I know the “h” is for hydraulic and “e” is for electronic. I’ve come across a 99’ RE not an RH. Would that still work? A member “YeahItsAHemi” installed the swap and “cope” valvebody unit and had the driveshaft real close to the pan but didn’t give any more information on the swap. I tried looking for a link that you suggesting under “cris” for “build” at either forum and don’t see anything. Any help?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
YeahItsAHemi is @chrisp2493 here. The RH is a much older trans, I don't personally know what you'd have to do but I don't imagine it would be too difficult. Biggest problem would be tricking the PCM into not caring that it isn't getting trans inputs. Greg @Redtruck-VA can give much more info on this swap, though I don't remember offhand if he did an RH or RE. What I do know is that both of these trucks are PCI bus vehicles; being you have a CAN bus that may (or may not) complicate things.

Edit: Greg did an RH swap, so if he sees this he'll be able to help you

OP
OP
R

Ram06_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I messaged him and he did not seem much help, just referred to Martin saine. I’ve contacted him and he was very helpful but for his complete kit shipped was $5,400. I’m sure it’s worth every penny, but I I’m trying to see if I can rebuild my 99 46re with martin’s rebuild kit, valvebody and converter. Haven’t heard back. Martin needed the I’d tag on my stock transfer case to verify any interface problems. I’m confused considering I thought 46re aside from flexplate adapter would bolt right in.

ghost03hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turbo Hemi
Is this your daily driver or just a play toy? Can you do all of these mods yourself? What happened to the 545rfe trans?

OP
OP
R

Ram06_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was intended as a daily driver. I did baby it with 545rfe but did not know enough about driving it with OD. On highway even at cruise, boost would surge causing OD to kick in and just wear out. Took 3-4 times till I had to figure out the turn off the OD on street driving . It eventually just gave up on 3rd,4th and overdrive. I’ve since talked to Martin saine and he’s going to build a 46re for me. I have a tune by Jay Greene and he believes swaps will cause pcm throw code. Even after having a manual pcm flashed. ‍♂️