5th gen 1500 REAR BUMPER CONVERSION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
You can by a basic mutimeter or test light for under $10, and they come in handy.

OP
OP
Tacobender24

Tacobender24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere before. I have been searching for hours for the wiring diagram for both the 4th gen and 5th gen license plate lights to no avail. I working on doing this mod on my 2014 Ram 1500 big horn and I don't want to reverse the polarity on the LEDs (since they are $60 each). But I can't find the wiring diagrams anywhere and I can't find any markings on the housing. I assume (even though that's very bad practice) that the black wire on the truck harness is the negative and the white/blue stripe wire is the positive, but on the 5th gen led lamp side I'm building my own connectors with parts from mouser ($15 vs $180 from findpigtail.com), but I don't have access to any original plugs to see the wire colors or orientation.

Any help would be appreciated!
I'm not exactly sure what you mean but what I can say is using the OEM pigtails from the website is the best option for a water tight seal and best function

vitola1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Once the retainer clips have been modified, you can attach your factory sensors to the bumper. NOTE: there's a little clear o-ring on the factory sensors that you will need to remove otherwise the sensors one fit. Once you have that done, all that's left it some wiring such as extending the parking senor harness, the trailer plug and switch the license plate light harness pigtails. Double check everything and if it looks like the pics below, you're good to tighten everything down:
View attachment 476947
Tailgate open with good clearance
View attachment 476948
Nice and leveled with the bottom edge of the tailgate
View attachment 476949
Nice lower bedside fitment

Just like that, you have a 5th gen 1500 rear bumper on a 4th gen. I know many have asked to see this and if it could be done so I'm happy to help and show that it's possible with very little modifications. No we don't have to resort to 5th gen 2500 bumpers which would actually look very bulky on out trucks with the lower hanging plastic. Hope this helps!! If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer

(The bumper assembly can be ordered online at a site called partify and can be custom painted to match your truck)

View attachment 476950
I think this is great, thank you. Gives extra room between step pad and tailgate so slush sand and salt doesn't scratch the hell out of it.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, it sat in the master bedroom for nearly a year....but it is finally installed.

I did not have to notch the bumper for trailer hitch clearance; it fit perfect as is. I still need to extend the park sensor wiring...and I took a gamble and ordered 5th gen parking sensors and pigtails to see if the 5th gen sensors are operationally the same as the 4th gen ones. This allows one to skip the notching of the 5th gen plastics for the 4th gen sensors.

Anyway - the pics are all anyone wants anyhow, so here's a few. Thanks to Tacobender for the effort and idea!

Attachments

• PXL_20230922_213858834.jpg
    PXL_20230922_213858834.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20230922_213911365.jpg
    PXL_20230922_213911365.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 20

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

Lewybrewing

Your living near Otay Mesa, in my old playground.
I used to walked around the Auto Dismantling Yards at least twice a month.
Especially the day after a Rain or wet drizzle, that used to be a discount day