5th Gen 8.4 UAV Radio in a 4th Gen (And Possible Surround View)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you try disabling ICS with alpha obd and enabling DCSD?
I think you are going to have issues with a 2015 bcm though .
I think Roman might have mentioned that in this thread .

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think you can leave ICS enable but also enable DCSD as discussed earlier .

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, My '18 has a screen in need of replacement, but also just got a work truck that will handle 95% of my driving needs, so the Ram is now 100% "toy". Do I gain anything with the 5th gen 8.4" over the 4th gen (I have AA/CP as a last MY of the 4th gens.) If I do, my buddy likely gets my current Head Unit for his mom's 200 (discounted, not free!).

I am interested in the surround cameras the 5th gen "enables", but from skimming about half this thread, it feels like it transitioned from the 8.4 to the 12" before I found the information I want.

Also, new job was such a pay bump, plus the gas savings, I'm pretty sure I can swing this kind of **** by the Boss, and not get murdered/take 6 months to get all the parts...

John P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I really need some guidance here, y'all... I have a 2015 Ram Ecodiesel. I bought a nearly brand new 2019 Ram 1500 UAV unit from a guy, and I lost steering wheel controls and backup camera after I installed it. Anyway, the burgundy/maroon cable is now orphaned and free-floating, because it won't go on the red fakra spot (which I have since found out is the place the new cameras are supposed to plug in?). The white and yellow fakras went on perfectly, as would be expected.

Anyway, I am wondering if I need to replace other parts? The heat and air both work, but it isn't showing the temperature or anything in the truck. I know I need to change the media hub in the armrest box, but which one do I need? Should I get the latest one, or should I get the one for the UAQ? I'm super confused about that.

My truck already had the 8.4 VP4 Harman unit, but I don't know what else I need to do to get this up and running properly. I'm going to check after leaving it sit overnight to see if anything changed. Not sure if that still applies in my situation, though. If anyone has any advice for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. I keep seeing stuff about changing BCM, adapters for the media hub, a new media hub, etc. I'm kind of confused with all of the conflicting info.

I think of all of my questions, the most important one is: Which year BCM should I get for the UAV??
Did you figure out how to get the steering wheel buttons working? I have a 2013 and I’m in the same boat. The unit works but the buttons for the radio on the back of the ateeering wheel won’t work. The out side temp is stuck in Celsius too. Any suggestions ?

John P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Does anyone have a pin out for the 6 plug and the 8 plug media hub? I just want to make my own. Thanks in advance!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Does anyone have a pin out for the 6 plug and the 8 plug media hub? I just want to make my own. Thanks in advance!
No it's not posted. Message me if you'd like to get one.

Carlos Petry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am currently doing the UAV upgrade on my 2016 1500. My truck has the VP4 CA model (Canada), and if it helps anyone, I only got the screen to work on the new unit after disabling ICS, only enabling DCSD was not enough.
Also the verify ECU Model option, now works in the Android version of AlfaOBD, so no need for the Windows version anymore.
One last note, I don´t know if it happens to everyone, but in my case, after I enabled DCSD the first time, it is now available in the settings for my BCM model.

Ashton

Reaction score
Ram Year
'18
Engine
Hemi
Is the antenna hook up the same as the 4th gen? If so could one upgrade to a shark fin from the DT and install it on a DS and get rid of that goofy antenna on the fender?

Carlos Petry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am currently doing the UAV upgrade on my 2016 1500. My truck has the VP4 CA model (Canada), and if it helps anyone, I only got the screen to work on the new unit after disabling ICS, only enabling DCSD was not enough.
Also the verify ECU Model option, now works in the Android version of AlfaOBD, so no need for the Windows version anymore.
One last note, I don´t know if it happens to everyone, but in my case, after I enabled DCSD the first time, it is now available in the settings for my BCM model.
So, just one correction to my previous message now that I got the unlock code for the radio and go back at playing with it, I do NOT need to disable ICS in the BCM.

Carlos Petry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, now that I was able to play with it properly, I found 3 issues:
1- passenger side heated and cooled seat controls missing;
2- backup camera missing;
3- vehicle configuration pages missing;
I am upgrading from a vp4ca to an UAV. The truck is a 2016 ram 1500 with dual zone AC already. The physical buttons and work fine as well as the soft buttons in the radio, at least for the features that are not missing.
Can someone shine some light on this? please

Carlos Petry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have any dtc in the radio at all ?
No DTCs, but I checked it right after turning it on. Maybe should I wait for some time and check again?
Is my rearview camera even expected to work with this radio at all, since it does not use the fakra connector?
How about the vehicle configuration pages and passenger heated and cooled seats?

Thanks!

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Have you tried looking for a software update for it ?
Also maybe try doing a factory reset .
There should be a option in the radio to do a factory reset

Carlos Petry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you tried looking for a software update for it ?
Also maybe try doing a factory reset .
There should be a option in the radio to do a factory reset
The ECU reset for the radio on AlfaOBD did the trick! Thank you very much! Everything worked!
I am trying to get the donor of the radio to check on Uconnect for updates. I do not have the VIN number from the donor vehicle.

lebronjuanluis19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if I wanted to do this conversion in my 2014 laramie I would need to get a new bcm? And what about the harness to the module? Does it just connect straight up or do I have to make a custom harness to re pin in to the new radio module? I did try doing a lot of research and found that it seems that most pins line up