5th Gen Build Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

curtman1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie - 41353 miles.

No start issue turned out to be the dreaded rear window leak, that leaked on the the module behind the seat. I never saw water and there were no stains or anything. I was not sent any communication to check the rear window. If so I may have been alerted to a possible problem and got it repaired before the electrical damage. Now I am looking at an almost $2000 repair bill and no truck and no loaner for 10 days. This is a known issue with a TSB describing the issue, yet I am paying $2000 because I am over mileage with a non mileage related issue (TSB 23-016-21) It is still well within the 3 years. On top of that, they inspected the exhaust manifolds while it is at the dealer. Both leaking. One is very loud. Its under warranty, but no parts to be found anywhere. Could be months since so many are bad! So I am just supposed to drive this thing sounding like garbage possibly for months. This has been a known issue with the Hemi for years. Even the service guy told me "the build quality on these trucks has not been great". In am a life long Dodge/Ram owner - 2 Durangos, 2 1500's. This truck is pushing me to look elsewhere.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Good luck, my buddy had his 2.7 Ford engine replaced at a few k miles, my neighbors 3.7 Ford lost all injectors left him stranded while towing his RV. My camaro blew its LT1 V8 at 1 year with 11k miles.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good luck, my buddy had his 2.7 Ford engine replaced at a few k miles, my neighbors 3.7 Ford lost all injectors left him stranded while towing his RV. My camaro blew its LT1 V8 at 1 year with 11k miles.
Geez... with luck like that, why even bother owning a vehicle?

brian42

Military
Reaction score
No manufacturer is safe from defects/issues. Some are random and some are consistent (e.g. exhaust manifolds). It's a roll of the dice whether you'll get one on the good or bad side of average.

I had a cracked manifold and drove around for a couple of months before the parts came in to repair it.

12 service visits (10 within basic warranty and 2 under MaxCare ESP) and counting...and I still love the truck. Best of the 4 IMO.

Zorin

Reaction score
I can appreciate your frustration, I really can. But let's look at the competition -

GM - 3.0L diesel - oil pump BELT in the rear of the engine. Pull trans to change a BELT. Pass.
- LS V8 - We're back to bad lifters and still breaking valve springs. Plus exhaust manifold leaks.

Ford - 3.5L Ecoboost - Scads of timing problems still, plus they seem to like to kick the rods out of the block.
-5.0L V8 - '18-'20 has even more timing problems! Plus the odd occasional knocker, oil burner, or cylinder wall scorer - and exhaust leaker. '21 and newer 5.0L not too bad, but the 10 speed trans does shift kinda oddball. (Personal grouch)

Ram - Got the Hemi sorted mostly after 2017 but still has electrical bugaboos. And we can't forget the exhaust leak hither and yon.

Toyota - Twin turbski V6 - I've heard they are having some turbocharger defects.
- V8's - Toyota uses FIPG for oil sealing, sometimes it holds, sometimes it doesn't. I prefer gaskets over silicone, personally.

It's not a matter of finding a GOOD car anymore, it's a matter of finding car whose problems you can cope with.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GM - 3.0L diesel - oil pump BELT in the rear of the engine. Pull trans to change a BELT. Pass.
- LS V8 - We're back to bad lifters and still breaking valve springs. Plus exhaust manifold leaks.

Ford - 3.5L Ecoboost - Scads of timing problems still, plus they seem to like to kick the rods out of the block.
-5.0L V8 - '18-'20 has even more timing problems! Plus the odd occasional knocker, oil burner, or cylinder wall scorer - and exhaust leaker. '21 and newer 5.0L not too bad, but the 10 speed trans does shift kinda oddball. (Personal grouch)

Ram - Got the Hemi sorted mostly after 2017 but still has electrical bugaboos. And we can't forget the exhaust leak hither and yon.

Toyota - Twin turbski V6 - I've heard they are having some turbocharger defects.
- V8's - Toyota uses FIPG for oil sealing, sometimes it holds, sometimes it doesn't. I prefer gaskets over silicone, personally

Like said, if you don't like it, go to the competition you bought the etorque with all of its problems and growing pains, I don't buy that both manifolds are bad they had a redesign in 2019, I wouldn't trust that dealer!!!

Last edited:

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
I looked up the TSB you mentioned and it only calls out up to 2020 models. I'm hoping my 2021 won't have the dreaded rear window leak issue. You've scared me into checking it occasionally, though. for hidden leaks.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked up the TSB you mentioned and it only calls out up to 2020 models. I'm hoping my 2021 won't have the dreaded rear window leak issue. You've scared me into checking it occasionally, though. for hidden leaks.
U know, neva hurts to look at your ride once in a while. U were in the Military, do a lil PMCS every couple of weeks. I do a PMCS like check every 2 weeks: Check fluids, belt, look for leaks, look under truck, look at "rear" window area, just to have a lil peace of minds. But I's a BOIRD, guess just different mentality.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's always a good idea to give the vehicles a check over once in awhile regardless just to stay on top of everything

brian42

Military
Reaction score
It was a bad batch of rear windows from the supplier (who supplies GM also...with the same batch).

I think they were all worked out of the system by the end of 2020 MY and replaced with a "newer design" that isn't prone to cracking with minimal torsion applied.

There's always a bad apple floating around here and there but it should be an exception for the '21 and up compared to those of us with "early" '19 and '20 trucks (although it's still a small percentage if you look at how many have gone to the dealer with this issue compared to how many trucks were sold those 2 MYs).

Everything is a larger issue on the internet because most that come here have something to complain about...and I am no different. I try to be positive and helpful but I have had my truck at the dealership 12 times since I bought it to get stuff fixed.

I'm here to share and learn as much I am to complain (or at least I try to) ;)

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How are the 2019 DT Rams doing? Here's another data point.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 80008 miles

Attachments

• 2019 Silverado1.png
    2019 Silverado1.png
    231.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 2019 Silverado2.png
    2019 Silverado2.png
    220.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 2019 F-150-1.png
    2019 F-150-1.png
    222.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 2019 F-150-2.png
    2019 F-150-2.png