5th gen features worth the upgrade from 4th gen?

krakaman24

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
dealers had offered me about $2,000 less than what CarMax offered (the CarMax offer is about what I paid for it new 4 years ago) I have always thought car dealerships have low-balled me on previous trade-ins, so I'll just sell it to CarMax, Vroom, Carvana or some other type of service.
This!! If you have one of these services near by I highly recommend it before even visiting your dealer.

I had a quote from CarMax for my 2007 1500 when I went to by my new 18 2500. It makes for a huge bargaining chip. The dealer offered me about $7000 less than what CarMax did. I told my salesman no thanks and that I would be selling my used truck to someone else who offered way more. He of course asked who and how much. I told him so he went and did the manager dance and came back with that 7k difference and then some. They want the used cars so bad they won't let it walk away. That's where they make their money. Especially now a days! That was well before the COVID madness.

OP
OP
J

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Some nice trucks! Personally, I like the chrome, especially on the bumper. Does not get messed up by road debris the way painted does. I have experience with the painted bumpers on some of our vehicles, not a fan.

geo1367

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 3rd gen Ram went to a 5th Gen 2019 Long Horn, loved it with big hearts, but developed a lot of issues. So I traded it off on the ONLY new Ram the dealer had; a 4th Gen 2021 Warlock 3.6l. What a difference and not in a good way. You will love the 5th Gen, the ride, sound proof and the seats are more comfortable than my recliner I spent over a grand on.

OP
OP
J

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks. I looked and looked for a 22 sitting on a lot that would fit the bill. Searched nationwide, for about a month. 2500 Megacab Ramboxes are as rare as hens teeth at dealerships. I finally ordered a loaded up Limited Longhorn 2500 at the end of March, from Granger in Iowa. So just in the long wait phase now.

Khalifa45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 1500 Backcountry
Engine
5.7 Hemi
5th Gen is certainly worth it. I traded a 2018 for a 2022. Major differences in almost every way and they are all good ones.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just my opinion but i much prefer the 4th gen looks to the 5th gen. I like the more Peterbilt front end of them than the flatter hood.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 DRW
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I just traded a loaded Gen4 longhorn CTD, for a 2022 Gen5 longhorn CTD. The main and only reason I did decided to trade is I downsized from a 3500 dually to a 2500. We also bought a new 2021 pacifica for my wife last fall.... with the safety equipment on it too. And after 6 months of driving the van, we hate the safety features, to the point they are all turned off now. The adaptive cruise will slam on the brakes if a anything cuts in front of you to the point its dangerous. And then if the obstruction clears, it floors the gas to get back up to speed, its a neck snapper.

Since my truck is a diesel the new generation cummins is super quiet as compared to my Gen4, but big deal. If your doing a diesel again, be aware that the new cummins requires synthetic 5-40 oil that is a lot more expensive than the 15w-40 dyno oil in the Gen4 engines. My oil changes at the dealer used to be $80, now they are $155. Plus the fuel filters on this Gen5 truck are different too.
The Uconnect series 5 radios are pretty intense with all the features. The surround view camera's are very handy, as was the cross traffic alert but was it worth the additional dollars? I guess that would be up to the individual.
My new 2500 has the safety equipment group on it as well. Not all that impressed with the lane keep sense, it most times is un-able to determine the road edges up here in my local easily, and it jerks the steering wheel all the time.

Last edited: