5th Gen Tail Lights in 4th Gen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would be curious to see what the resistance values for the gen 5 turn signals are vs the gen 4 LED taillights. Maybe I'll pull a taillight this week and check, that might least give some idea on how far off they are.

@superjoe83 Does your truck set a turn signal out DTC?

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would be curious to see what the resistance values for the gen 5 turn signals are vs the gen 4 LED taillights. Maybe I'll pull a taillight this week and check, that might least give some idea on how far off they are.

@superjoe83 Does your truck set a turn signal out DTC?
I wont have the lights until later this week, so I wont know for sure until I get them hooked up. Hopefully the fault sense wire on the '19 lights works the same way as my current factory LED tails and will be able to use that to make the BCM happy.

On the 4th gen LED tails the tail lamp toggles the fault sense wire to ground, so when the turn signal wire is powered the tail lamp grounds the fault sense wire, when the light is off the fault sense wire is open circuit.

Worse case scenario is that I have to ground a wire under the fuse box which will disable all rear lighting diagnostics.

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, that wire under the PDC to ground is the same as disabling rear lighting DTC. That means no warning on any rear facing lights even if one is out.
I tried to disable rear lighting DTC's thru the BCM with alfaobd, but still got random dings and very quick bulb out messages on the evic, just a flicker of the message. but when I grounded the wire under the PDC that issue went away. I guess it could be a glitch on how alfaobd changes the setting in the BCM

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe this thread should get moved to the 4th Gen DIY section. I think we would have much more information there.
I'm planning on starting a thread in the 4th gen section once this project is done, I have the turn wires pinned into the correct locations in the BCM, wires run to the back, everything is ready, the lights should be here tomorrow. Hopefully by the weekend I will have a thread started

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome. Do you have the connector/pins part numbers for the gen5 tail lights?
I have the pin layout/connector views. These lights are coming from a totaled truck and the seller is cutting the connectors off the truck for me to have, otherwise you can buy the repair pigtails from the dealer, but they are over $60 per side.

View media item 28368

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't seem to find the correct pins for it though. Looking through the Aptiv website to see if they list them, the issue being the ones that are listed don't look right, round vs flat.

EDIT:
It looks like it is either 13849929 or 13849930 depending on wire gauge but mouser has them marked as obsolete.

BTW, if you want to make a jump harness to your tail lights, assuming you have LED tailights, I believe this is the connector:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Aptiv-formerly-Delphi/54200612?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs7eK6h2EBtKgWB1t55%2BB6K6fB%2B9lf%2B2kk=
Pins:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Aptiv-formerly-Delphi/15516298-L?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs7eK6h2EBtKjhhPOI9dAhQBM9l2Xlz/gs=

EDIT2: I think these are the pins for the gen5 light connectors, but they aren't stocked by mouser.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...=sGAEpiMZZMs7eK6h2EBtKp1/lBPB8b5sDoTDEgpJnek=

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I can't seem to find the correct pins for it though. Looking through the Aptiv website to see if they list them, the issue being the ones that are listed don't look right, round vs flat.
It’s the OCS 1.5 (.75-1.00 cable range). Only problem is finding them in stock somewhere, or without having to buy a minimum of 4000

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yup, those were easy to hunt down. What’s impossible to find are the mating connectors for non LED tails to make a conversion harness with.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't even find the harness side connectors to use try to figure out what the tail light connectors would be. I'll have to do more searching later.

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Following... I want to do this mod as well, so once I get parts in I will be testing and provide any insight. Hopefully this topic does not die off.

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks superjoe83, I did not see it, until now!