5th Gen wheels on 4th Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlyingRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Liter
Just bought a nearly new set of 17 inch tires and wheels from a 2021 tradesman and installed on my 2012 tradesman. TPMS light came on today after 30 minute trip. Im guessing the the newer 5th Gen TPMS sensors are a different MHz or otherwise not compatible with my 4th Gen.
What’s the best option for a new set of sensors? Stock or aftermarket options?
Do new sensors need to be reprogrammed to the truck or just drive and let it relearn? Thanks!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Just bought a nearly new set of 17 inch tires and wheels from a 2021 tradesman and installed on my 2012 tradesman. TPMS light came on today after 30 minute trip. Im guessing the the newer 5th Gen TPMS sensors are a different MHz or otherwise not compatible with my 4th Gen.
As mentioned it's slightly impossible to put Gen5 rims on a Gen4 truck as the lug pattern is different, the 2021 Tradesman is a Classic which makes it a Gen4 truck.
As for your TPMS sensors you'll need to buy a set that will work with you 2012 truck.

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
What’s the best option for a new set of sensors? Stock or aftermarket options?
Do new sensors need to be reprogrammed to the truck or just drive and let it relearn? Thanks!
Did you have the TPMS sensors swapped from your original rims to the new ones or have the system reprogrammed? If not then the system is not reading the sensors and will throw on the light.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Did you have the TPMS sensors swapped from your original rims to the new ones or have the system reprogrammed? If not then the system is not reading the sensors and will throw on the light.

This. A 21 Tradesman would still be a classic so the wheels would still be 5 lug. Not sure if there is a self learn on these trucks for tire sensors, but if not you need to go to a dealer or tire shop and have them reprogram the sensors to your truck.

OP
OP
F

FlyingRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Liter
I thought 5th Gen are 6 lug and 4th Gen are 5 lug. How did you swap them?
The 2021 they came off of was a tradesman, which must still be considered a 4th Gen, didn’t realize that when I posted. Wheels fit but the TPMS sensors must be on another frequency.
Always seems to be an exception

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
This. A 21 Tradesman would still be a classic so the wheels would still be 5 lug. Not sure if there is a self learn on these trucks for tire sensors, but if not you need to go to a dealer or tire shop and have them reprogram the sensors to your truck.

The 2021 they came off of was a tradesman, which must still be considered a 4th Gen, didn’t realize that when I posted. Wheels fit but the TPMS sensors must be on another frequency.
As Joe said any tire shop should be able to reprogram them with a TPMS scan tool. Sadly these trucks can't auto learn. But the TPMS module can be programed to recognize their specific frequencies.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As Joe said any tire shop should be able to reprogram them with a TPMS scan tool. Sadly these trucks can't auto learn. But the TPMS module can be programed to recognize their specific frequencies.

Actually the 4th gens do auto-learn, I have three wheel sets and can swap wheels at will. The problem is that 2010-2013 TPMS sensors are different from the later ones, although they use the same 433 MHz frequency.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
It's not because it's a Tradesman, it's because it's a Classic.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The sensors are different from 09-12 or 09-13. I believe it's 09-13. 14+ use a different sensor/frequency and can't be trained. You'll either need to swap sensors over from your old rims, or buy a new set for your 2012.