Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5th Gen Whistles on windy days, wind noise?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Barry Chadwick, May 18, 2020.

1. Barry Chadwick

Barry Chadwick Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I have a 2019 5th gen sport. I love the truck however I have this annoying whistle on windy days. It has nothing to do with the the air. I have turned everything off and everything on. I have set recirculate to on and off. I have opened and closed my side view mirrors. Nothing effects this sound but the wind and the speed. I have taken it to the dealer but they are unable to reproduce the sound. It only happens on windy days at high speed. The sound seems to be coming from behind the dash just above my left foot. This is several short clips pieced together. Around the 2:20 second mark I speed up just a hair to show how bad it gets as the wind increases. Sounds like a train whistle when I speed up to pass someone.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  2. NorthStar1

NorthStar1 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x4 Crew
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    There are several of us with this ridiculous issue. Ridiculous because some rookie engineer at FCA failed to utilize his slide rule. I have owned my truck since October 2019 and love it...this is an annoyance during cross wind conditions. Will get it fixed one of these days but don't want to waste my time as they will give me the "Can't replicate the sound" if there isn't a cross wind day.

Read on...
    https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2019-ram-1500-harmonic-wind-sound-above-75-mph.151668/#post-2141515

Barry Chadwick likes this.
  3. RamFun

RamFun Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I have the same issue with my 2019 Ram and want it fixed. The whistle beep sound /vibration is also felt on the left hand side upper grip bar and by the right front passengers feet and right side dash/bar area. Cross winds make the sound unbearable and it is a design flaw. The weather stripping has already been replaced and good luck to the dealers finding the "whistle noise". I have two videos of the same sound on two different days with the cross wind blowing while driving through the desert. All we will get is "can't duplicate" from the dealers so they won't have to pay for the fix. Not cool. Been down this road before with other vehicles. Spent over 40k for a new truck and right off the bat problems.

4. Papa Red

Papa Red Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    My wife has a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan that does that same thing in the same conditions except my speed can be as low as 60 and have it happen. I believe it has something to do with wind coming around the mirrors. Very frustrating. Nothing on my new Ram.

Red

5. KeithP

KeithP Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7 VVT
    Wind whistle is not unique to Mopar products. We had a 2008 rolling pile of scrap iron Honda called a van. Bought it new. It whistled and rattled from day 1. Only vehicle I ever got rid of before the warranty ran out.

6. RamCares

RamCares Senior Member

Ram Year:
    n/a
    Engine:
    n/a
    I am very sorry to hear of your situation, @RamFun. Please know that I would be more than happy to learn more about your most recent dealer visit in order to determine how to best assist you at this point. Our team is just a private message away.

Mark
    RamCares

7. NorthStar1

NorthStar1 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x4 Crew
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Thanks Ramcare but I’m always amazed how you all offer FCA sympathy but don’t contribute to this board at all! Your contribution of a TSB number or some known remedy the FCA Engineers/Head Shed Mechanics have available (that we could give to our local dealers who don’t know crap) would be far more valuable.

This noise is intermittent and difficult to replicate unless the wind is blowing across the vehicle at a certain angle. If conditions are not perfect when the Ram mechanic takes it for a test drive then we get the damned “Cannot duplicate” and have wasted a day at the dealer. I know there are several of us with this intermittent problem and you can’t tell me you don’t have access to the methods utilized to fix it so we can inform our dealers where to start looking.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  8. Dodge 1500 4X4

Dodge 1500 4X4 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Mine is still whistling at certain wing gusts, thought it was coming from the passenger side mirror but no dice, checked all cowling under windshield area on passenger and drivers side, don't know if its the door gaskets on passenger side, installed weatherstrip where box meets cab, some have said its coming in from the vents, I turn recirc off no difference Man I'm lost need more ideas from higher up FCA engineers I know good luck!!!

9. runamuck

runamuck Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    while driving at highway speeds once with a strong crosswind, mine would whistle on the driver side during gusts. would only quit if I slowed down some..I never figured out what it was and searching the web didnt turn up anything. the dealer just had the usual "bring it in and we'll check it out" but I dont see how they could unless on the highway at 75 and crosswind gusting to 30 mph..never had this problem with any other truck in similar situations. the door seals all look fine so still dont know the cause. one poster said there is a cab to bed seal that can be bought online but I have not tried that fix.

10. magic280z

magic280z Member

Ram Year:
    2019 1500 Laramie
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I heard this for the first time yesterday. My wife said it sounded just like the the blind spot monitoring alert. What if it is the noise canceling system going crazy? They've had a number of issues with the ANC in other scenarios. The noise was too brief to get a fix and it was barely windy.

On a side note if Ramcare is responding then Ram is not aware of a larger issue. Mysteriously if there is some kind of large scale issue fca is trying to ignore Ramcare is completely silent. Look at all the 8 spd transmission bump threads that apparently affect most fca 8spd vehicles. Otherwise they can help apply pressure to the dealer.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG