5th Gen Whistles on windy days, wind noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barry Chadwick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 5th gen sport. I love the truck however I have this annoying whistle on windy days. It has nothing to do with the the air. I have turned everything off and everything on. I have set recirculate to on and off. I have opened and closed my side view mirrors. Nothing effects this sound but the wind and the speed. I have taken it to the dealer but they are unable to reproduce the sound. It only happens on windy days at high speed. The sound seems to be coming from behind the dash just above my left foot. This is several short clips pieced together. Around the 2:20 second mark I speed up just a hair to show how bad it gets as the wind increases. Sounds like a train whistle when I speed up to pass someone.

Last edited:

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
There are several of us with this ridiculous issue. Ridiculous because some rookie engineer at FCA failed to utilize his slide rule. I have owned my truck since October 2019 and love it...this is an annoyance during cross wind conditions. Will get it fixed one of these days but don't want to waste my time as they will give me the "Can't replicate the sound" if there isn't a cross wind day.

Read on...
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2019-ram-1500-harmonic-wind-sound-above-75-mph.151668/#post-2141515

RamFun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same issue with my 2019 Ram and want it fixed. The whistle beep sound /vibration is also felt on the left hand side upper grip bar and by the right front passengers feet and right side dash/bar area. Cross winds make the sound unbearable and it is a design flaw. The weather stripping has already been replaced and good luck to the dealers finding the "whistle noise". I have two videos of the same sound on two different days with the cross wind blowing while driving through the desert. All we will get is "can't duplicate" from the dealers so they won't have to pay for the fix. Not cool. Been down this road before with other vehicles. Spent over 40k for a new truck and right off the bat problems.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My wife has a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan that does that same thing in the same conditions except my speed can be as low as 60 and have it happen. I believe it has something to do with wind coming around the mirrors. Very frustrating. Nothing on my new Ram.

Red

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Wind whistle is not unique to Mopar products. We had a 2008 rolling pile of scrap iron Honda called a van. Bought it new. It whistled and rattled from day 1. Only vehicle I ever got rid of before the warranty ran out.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have the same issue with my 2019 Ram and want it fixed. The whistle beep sound /vibration is also felt on the left hand side upper grip bar and by the right front passengers feet and right side dash/bar area. Cross winds make the sound unbearable and it is a design flaw. The weather stripping has already been replaced and good luck to the dealers finding the "whistle noise". I have two videos of the same sound on two different days with the cross wind blowing while driving through the desert. All we will get is "can't duplicate" from the dealers so they won't have to pay for the fix. Not cool. Been down this road before with other vehicles. Spent over 40k for a new truck and right off the bat problems.

I am very sorry to hear of your situation, @RamFun. Please know that I would be more than happy to learn more about your most recent dealer visit in order to determine how to best assist you at this point. Our team is just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Thanks Ramcare but I’m always amazed how you all offer FCA sympathy but don’t contribute to this board at all! Your contribution of a TSB number or some known remedy the FCA Engineers/Head Shed Mechanics have available (that we could give to our local dealers who don’t know crap) would be far more valuable.

This noise is intermittent and difficult to replicate unless the wind is blowing across the vehicle at a certain angle. If conditions are not perfect when the Ram mechanic takes it for a test drive then we get the damned “Cannot duplicate” and have wasted a day at the dealer. I know there are several of us with this intermittent problem and you can’t tell me you don’t have access to the methods utilized to fix it so we can inform our dealers where to start looking.

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is still whistling at certain wing gusts, thought it was coming from the passenger side mirror but no dice, checked all cowling under windshield area on passenger and drivers side, don't know if its the door gaskets on passenger side, installed weatherstrip where box meets cab, some have said its coming in from the vents, I turn recirc off no difference Man I'm lost need more ideas from higher up FCA engineers I know good luck!!!

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
while driving at highway speeds once with a strong crosswind, mine would whistle on the driver side during gusts. would only quit if I slowed down some..I never figured out what it was and searching the web didnt turn up anything. the dealer just had the usual "bring it in and we'll check it out" but I dont see how they could unless on the highway at 75 and crosswind gusting to 30 mph..never had this problem with any other truck in similar situations. the door seals all look fine so still dont know the cause. one poster said there is a cab to bed seal that can be bought online but I have not tried that fix.

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I heard this for the first time yesterday. My wife said it sounded just like the the blind spot monitoring alert. What if it is the noise canceling system going crazy? They've had a number of issues with the ANC in other scenarios. The noise was too brief to get a fix and it was barely windy.

On a side note if Ramcare is responding then Ram is not aware of a larger issue. Mysteriously if there is some kind of large scale issue fca is trying to ignore Ramcare is completely silent. Look at all the 8 spd transmission bump threads that apparently affect most fca 8spd vehicles. Otherwise they can help apply pressure to the dealer.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Mine doesn’t have blind spot monitoring and is more of a harmonic sound coming from either the mirrors or the windshield area...still trying to figure out a way to safety strap the old lady to the hood so she can help diagnose the issue. I offered to do it be she said she won’t be able to see the road because she is so short...and my a$$ would obscure her view.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
FYI...I took mine out last night to see if I could get the sound to begin with no crosswind. I found it...starts at 88 mph and at 92 it is making this sound 90% of the time. At just under 100 mph it’s quite pronounced thus FCAs wind tunnel must consist of two desk fans.

I’m not indicating these truck or tires are made to go this fast for a sustained duration but I will hand the friggin mechanic a helmet the next time I take my truck in and offer to give him a ride so we can “duplicate” the sound!

Last edited:

BRFiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I posted on this "whistle" problem quite some time ago. No one has posted a fix??? Took my 2019 Limited to the dealer last week and they had no clue. Waste of time. Hope someone will post a fix. Although someone with a 2500 posted about the cabin air filter door being the problem and had a home made fix.

dinger5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
while driving at highway speeds once with a strong crosswind, mine would whistle on the driver side during gusts. would only quit if I slowed down some..I never figured out what it was and searching the web didnt turn up anything. the dealer just had the usual "bring it in and we'll check it out" but I dont see how they could unless on the highway at 75 and crosswind gusting to 30 mph..never had this problem with any other truck in similar situations. the door seals all look fine so still dont know the cause. one poster said there is a cab to bed seal that can be bought online but I have not tried that fix.

exactly what mine does with those conditions!!???

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
do you volunteer to deal with the service department on this one..be the guinea pig..

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
A crosswind has more than 50% of the vector force of a headwind. If the crosswind is 20 mph then it is like having a 10 to 12 mph headwind. The net effect is that driving (like a fool) at 88 mph with the wind is like driving at 100 mph with no wind.

I do have to wonder what idiots drive pickups at 100 mph and then whine about the noise. If it happened at 65 or 70 mph then there would be cause for concern but that does not seem to be the case.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Read my multiple posts on this forum - fool! I’ve had this problem, as have others, since the day I purchased the truck as it was always with a crosswind doing 65 mph. Your idiotic comments adds no value to the issue.

I have now dropped the truck off three times and always get the same response - Cannot duplicate. So, in an effort to find a different way to duplicate the problem so a mechanic can hear it, I’ve experimented at various speeds and conditions.

I’m a pilot by trade - have been since 1981 - and know sounds must sometimes be reproduced for mechanics to hear it for the first time in order to effect a repair. This can be produced by varying speed, temperature, pressure, and even mechanical configurations such as flaps at varying degrees. All I did was find a way to temporarily reproduce the effects for the mechanic and he has now heard it - only to provide an idiotic response like your comment. He doesn’t have a damned clue...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Barry Chadwick

Barry Chadwick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A crosswind has more than 50% of the vector force of a headwind. If the crosswind is 20 mph then it is like having a 10 to 12 mph headwind. The net effect is that driving (like a fool) at 88 mph with the wind is like driving at 100 mph with no wind.

I do have to wonder what idiots drive pickups at 100 mph and then whine about the noise. If it happened at 65 or 70 mph then there would be cause for concern but that does not seem to be the case.

It does happen at 65 - 70. !!!!! Its not really forward speed that effects it. It's the crosswind. I have tons of video with it whistling below 70. Wind noise is fine. This sounds like a train whistle under the dash.