5th Gen Whistles on windy days, wind noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
my wind whistle event was traveling at 75 ish eastbound along 287 east of amarillo at night. there was a nice crosswind. as an old guy, I have owned many vehicles and driven many thousands of miles..first time I have had this noise on any of them. everything else has been great on this truck..

Merlot

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Bighorn
Engine
We just fixed our similar noise. Terrible howl under the dash under the passenger side dash. It seems that the filter has enough room to vibrate in a crosswind. We just stuffed a piece of 1\4 inch felt on top of the filter at the back. Haven't heard the noise since. Hope it helps.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
We just fixed our similar noise. Terrible howl under the dash under the passenger side dash. It seems that the filter has enough room to vibrate in a crosswind. We just stuffed a piece of 1\4 inch felt on top of the filter at the back. Haven't heard the noise since. Hope it helps.
To clarify: are you referring to the cabin air filter?

Merlot

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Yes, the cabin air filter. Easy fix for an annoying problem. We were just in a bad wind yesterday. Problem solved!

Jonah Howell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get the noise on both sides, not just the passenger side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I get the noise on both sides, not just the passenger side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I swore it was coming from near my left foot as I drove. My wife said no it’s on her side. If it’s the cabin air filter it makes sense that it’s resonating through the ductwork. I’ll be pulling out my cabin air filter to check the spacing.

HOG3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can’t take the noise anymore! Ready to trade my 2019 in! I had a 2017 with zero issues. Dealer doesn’t have any answers. They have already resealed the windshield and said they wanted to try and replicate the noise. That sent me over the edge. I don’t need them to replicate the noise. I have sent the owner of the dealership countless videos for a year of the the noise in real time!

dinger5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took mine to dealer with a ( fix ) I found on a forum. Printed off the paper work ( a FCA bulletin ) about some of the caulking around the A-pillar had to be redone??? So that's what my dealer did and did not fix issue!!! So it looks like I will try the cabin air filter thing as there are no other solutions?? What does the RAM cares have to say?? The whistling is driving me nuts!!!

DB Cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETORQ
Hi All:

I've dealt with this very issue on my trucks and sports cars. I've found the one technique that works every time is to leave the factory weather stripping on the doors intact. Purchase a spool of very soft weather stripping and add it to the door, or door frame, along side the existing stripping. This has worked every time and never affected the operation of the door etc.

tommy dimas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 5th gen sport. I love the truck however I have this annoying whistle on windy days. It has nothing to do with the the air. I have turned everything off and everything on. I have set recirculate to on and off. I have opened and closed my side view mirrors. Nothing effects this sound but the wind and the speed. I have taken it to the dealer but they are unable to reproduce the sound. It only happens on windy days at high speed. The sound seems to be coming from behind the dash just above my left foot. This is several short clips pieced together. Around the 2:20 second mark I speed up just a hair to show how bad it gets as the wind increases. Sounds like a train whistle when I speed up to pass someone.

tommy dimas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i had the same problem with the whistling noise on my 2015 ram 1500 when it was windy. My windshield wipers needed to be replaced so i bought some RainX wipers which were over $22.00 for one. these have the bigger base than the regular wipers. Ever since i changed the wipers i have not heard that whistling noise when I travel and it is windy.

PapaStemps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New to the forum and joined to see if anyone had excessive wind noise. I don't get a whistling (thank god) but at highway speeds and any type of wind I get alot of wind noise and I beleive its from the door seals. I can actually feel the door frame moving from the wind. Has Ram dealt with this through larger or better door seals?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, a lot of us do. I just got tired of chasing and turn up radio a lil, LOL. Not a solution, just not feel like spending days at Dealer to replicate and not ever get fixed. My sound from the right pax area. Wife's 2010 F 150 4 X 4 CC, same noise, but from drivers area. Imagine that.

Sstoner911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2022 Ram 3500 that has this harmonic noise on windy days....has the cabin filter been the culprit for others??

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
I also have the issue on my 2019 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4. I also have a customer with a 2019 Laramie also with same issue. In Texas, we always have wind. I have found that folding the power mirrors in helps some but is it just me and this is a 2019 issue? When the wind is over 20 mph, it just howls. Can't turn the radio up any louder to drown it out. If someone has the magic cure, please let me know.

I have only 11k but did change the cabin air filter with no difference. Also tonneau cover did not help.

I put weatherstrip around top 8" and front 12" of door. It broke resonance of the wind. The air is getting in the front and top of door trying to push it out. Put a piece of anything in their and it will quiet the noise. If the wind can't get in, it can't pull on the door. I used an old original piece of door seal from a 1950 ford coupe because it was on my bench. Bad design.

2019 BH Crew, 3.6, Michelin LTX, electric bed cover, no sun roof, Level 2 package.

Last edited:

King Kermit V

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the same issue in my 2021 1500 Big Horn. The dealer called it “normal” :bs: luckily I’m older and not impulsive. Otherwise I’d sell it right then and there to them and keep the change in this crazy market. But I just turn up the radio a lil. I’m going to try the cabin filter trick posted here. See if it’ll work.

bob E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
After having the Tech Bulletin on this matter completed three times by two dealers and them having my truck for 3 of the 12 months I owned it, it is finally repaired. They once again took the dash out and this time used a soap pluton and compressed air and found a small hole not covered by the “ new improved” seal for the ac air box. The whistle only happened when the recirculate was closed. Finally I am whistle free!