5th Wheel or Bumper Pull Toyhauler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
no springs in my Husky centerline WDH. you may have just needed to do some adjusting..shift some wt. I also added air bags to rear and usually run 25# when towing.

The trunion bars are the "springs". They bend and provide resistance, but also enough bounce to keep the rear coil shocks jittery. I tried air bags, didn't help and just made my unloaded ride worse.

The best way to fix bounce is to remove it if you can, instead of adding shocks and even more suspension bits to cancel it (all IMHO of course!)

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My son has the Husky and it was fine for us. I towed it 200 miles with my 1500 then he towed it 9000 miles with his 2500. towed beautifully

Toddz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know I am late to the party, but I figured I would add a little to the conversation. I have owned 4 different toy haulers over the years, both 5th wheel and tow behind. My current is a tow behind. I can honestly say if the tow behind is set up properly, it is just as nice as the 5th wheel towing wise. I like having my bed available for additional dirt bikes. As for storage, my tow behind has a pass through storage just like the 5th wheel had. My wife has a bad back so the stairs in the 5th wheel were a no go for us.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My son has the Husky and it was fine for us. I towed it 200 miles with my 1500 then he towed it 9000 miles with his 2500. towed beautifully

The husky is a great hitch, not knocking it all. Just mentioning my experience with it, I did say previously that it is probably a result of my specific combination of truck, cargo in the bed, trailer weight etc. I played with it extensively trying to dial it in right and it improved to a point, but it never got as good as the andersen (or probably any other hitch that uses only chains). But you can find many reports on this forum and others complaining about how poor the coil springs handle loads, I'm definitely not the only one who had a bounce they couldn't get rid of.

But the other beautiful thing about the andersen is how quick and easy it is to adjust. There are 2 massive nuts, one for each chain. When you are hooking up, you screw the nuts on by turning them exactly 5 (or 6 etc) times over. If you want less tension, you just turn them 4 or 5 times. Dialing it in is actually part of the very quick connect process, you do it every time and you just set it knowing how much weight you're towing with.