5W-20 oil used on 5.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SRT Racing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Good video for all the oil experts to watch. I run Valvoline 50W racing oil in that monster to the left because of high Zinc in it. But in my new 2019 5.7L RAM it will be full Syn 5w-20 as per owner manual. I'll hang my hat with the engineers who know more about clearances in this engine then any service advisor sitting behind a desk in the service department. Although my service advisor stated the same as what's in the user manual. This guy knows what he's talking about when it comes to oil.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good video for all the oil experts to watch. I run Valvoline 50W racing oil in that monster to the left because of high Zinc in it. But in my new 2019 5.7L RAM it will be full Syn 5w-20 as per owner manual. This guy knows what he's talking about when it comes to oil.

WHY I run 5-20 Full Synthetic, and pay a lil more. I get $18.00 oil changes for life. I add the difference in the price on the full from blend. Works for me.

AND I always run Full Synthetic on My Goldwing. That 1800 motor runs rather warm even with a liquid cooled motor, heck that Motor is bigger than some engines in lil cars, LMAO.....

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
The oil change intervals you talked about are exactly the same as my dealer's recommendations. 3000 miles on the factory fill, 5000 miles on the 5w-20 dino, and up to 8000 miles if I insisted on using synthetic oil (which the service manager advised against). I plan on doing the first change myself after 1000 miles, using QSAD 5w-20 dino with a wix filter (NAPA gold), running that until 5000 miles on the truck. At that point blending quaker state ultimate durability and the remaining portion of the QSAD dino oil that I have for the next 5000 miles. I plan after that point to use QSUD synthetic 5w-20 and wix filters. I want full synthetic because living in northern Wisconsin, we see -30 F frequently in the winter months. Any thoughts on the above plan or the choice of QSUD vs PUP would be welcome. Thanks

truck) but beyond that I'm more interested in this drive train being happy for a long time than I am in saving 1 MPG.[/QUOTE]

Use what the weather tells you to use.

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/knowledge-centre/Viscosity/237/What-is-an-SAE-Viscosity/180#/

vbPGa02nIR.jpg

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Motor oils changed radically for gas and diesel engines in 2016. The engines after 2016 are designed to operate on lower viscosity oil as this reduces internal friction and less power loss with the engine and this then provides improved fuel economy. The API standard for motor oils changed and all the new oils that meet that specification are superior to the old oils for the new engines.

With a multi-grade motor oil the key concern is polymer multishear when the polymers that lock together to increase the viscosity of the oil (higher weight in effect) come apart and the bearing surfaces are not adequately lubricated. There are companies that specialize in producing the polymers for the oil industry.

What matters is using motor oil that has the API spec marked on the lid and using the multigrade weight recommended for vehicle for the ambient temperature range where it will be operated. The engineers have tested the engines for thousands of hours with these lubricants and monitored wear and so their recommendations are not to be dismissed.

I don't trust the guys at the quick lube places and so I specify a motor oil that they only have in cans and not in bulk from their pumps. That way I know exactly what is going into the engine as I can see the cans that are being emptied as they refill the sump.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452