6.1 SRT8 Ram Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all 6.1 SRT hemis are 32 tooth wheel. no matter what year. the SRT392 , 09 up 5.7 and all 6.4s are 58 Tooth.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
So, question... Are the 6.1 and 5.7 the same block with different BorexStroke? If so, then I don't see the reason for this swap over a big bore/stroker build unless you get one for an absolute steal and it's close to a direct drop in...

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.1 is 4.055 bore and 3.58 stroke, the 5.7 is 3.917 bore and 3.58 stroke., same stroke but different bore. They are different castings but they share 99% of the same dimensions , think of it like old school 318's vs 340's

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So, question... Are the 6.1 and 5.7 the same block with different BorexStroke? If so, then I don't see the reason for this swap over a big bore/stroker build unless you get one for an absolute steal and it's close to a direct drop in...

While you can do a stroker with a 5.7 block, you can't do a big bore with one. A stroker with a 6.1 block allows you to use Apache heads if you so desire.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
And a 6.1 block can be over bored, too?

Sent from my magic 5-inch
Any block can be overbored to a point, however I think you missed the point. Can't use Apache heads on a 5.7 block unless you overbore it more than most people would be comfortable with or notch the bores for valve clearance. You don't have to do that with a 6.1 block. Also the 6.1 was designed to be a performance block, including piston oil squirters that the 5.7 does not have.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Any block can be overjoyed to a point, however I think you missed the point. Can't use Apache heads on a 5.7 block unless you overbore it more than most people would be comfortable with or notch the bores for valve clearance. You don't have to do that with a 6.1 block. Also the 6.1 was designed to be a performance block, including piston oil squirters that the 5.7 does not have.

What's so great about apache heads? Or is that just a certain casting?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What's so great about apache heads? Or is that just a certain casting?

They have been called the best cylinder head Chrysler has ever produced. Huge valves and ports, was the basis for the hellcat head (same design, different composition aluminum). A 6.1 based 426 stroker with P&P'd Apache heads, about 10.5 compression and a fairly mild (for a race engine running on class required street premium gas) roller cam, a high rise intake and a single 4bbl carb made north of 720hp naturally aspirated.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
They have been called the best cylinder head Chrysler has ever produced. Huge valves and ports, was the basis for the hellcat head (same design, different composition aluminum). A 6.1 based 426 stroker with P&P'd Apache heads, about 10.5 compression and a fairly mild (for a race engine running on class required street premium gas) roller cam, a high rise intake and a single 4bbl carb made north of 720hp naturally aspirated.

Well **** forced induction, that'd be all I need! How much do you think one would make ballpark with a street-daily/pro touring type cam made to handle an SCRB truck's 4500-5000 pound weight?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well **** forced induction, that'd be all I need! How much do you think one would make ballpark with a street-daily/pro touring type cam made to handle an SCRB truck's 4500-5000 pound weight?

Couldn't tell you for sure lol, but my buddy has an older Arrington 440 stroker with Apache heads that makes somewhere well north of 600. I'd take a look at the various builders (Indy, HHP, Muscle Motors, Inertia, etc) and see what their offerings are rated at. Should give you an idea.

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most 6.1 block can be bored out to 4.09, 4.08 to be safe. 03-08 5.7 blocks ca be safely bored out to 4.0 , but there are no off the self pistons for them (http://www.shophemi.com/p-1168-arrington-410-short-block.aspx )

Miniman 5.7 Bore to use Apache stock size valve heads is 3.957(.040 over) , the Intake valve will physical hit the edge of the stock(5.7) bore.
Apache heads are what come stock on the 6.4s,392s, Hellcat & Demon , Hellcat/Demon head is a different casting, it has more material in the Intake mounting area.
There have been modified(port and Polish) Apache heads that are flowing in the high 300 CFM(380-390ish)

Dean Guthery

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New here, I know this is an old thread, but hope I can start it back up.

I recently purchased a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited Ed. that had been seized by LE. , and discovered it has a 6.1 engine swapped into it. I am not sure what all was done, but it certainly looks to be a professional job.

It runs great, but does have some of the Jeep TIPM issues which I read is common. I almost had it flashed with another TIPM but, now I thinking that may not be a good idea due to it may revert the tune to the old 5.7 according to the VIN.

So, can anyone tell me about these swaps, Is it likely that the ECM etc. from the 6.1 was used in the swap?
and is there any other info I need to know?
I would like to know how to determine the year of the 6.1 also.

Thanks?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
New here, I know this is an old thread, but hope I can start it back up.

I recently purchased a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited Ed. that had been seized by LE. , and discovered it has a 6.1 engine swapped into it. I am not sure what all was done, but it certainly looks to be a professional job.

It runs great, but does have some of the Jeep TIPM issues which I read is common. I almost had it flashed with another TIPM but, now I thinking that may not be a good idea due to it may revert the tune to the old 5.7 according to the VIN.

So, can anyone tell me about these swaps, Is it likely that the ECM etc. from the 6.1 was used in the swap?
and is there any other info I need to know?
I would like to know how to determine the year of the 6.1 also.

Thanks?

Nice find if true. Were you able to verify the big "6.1" on the side of the block? Does it have the 6.1 sorty header manifolds or did some ******* use the stock 5.7 logs? TIPM has absolutely ****-all to do with the engine tuning (PCM) other than providing electrical power. TIPM = Total Integrated Power Module. Now if you mean it's having PCM issues, what you need to figure out is if that 6.1 is running on the stock 5.7 tune, if it was custom tuned with the 5.7 PCM (does the MDS work?) or if in fact, a 6.1 PCM was used (not likely or even necessary). Look on the front of your passenger side cylinder head, is there an EGR valve there? If yes, then it's probably running the stock tuning (6.1's didn't come with EGR). If no, then either it's custom tuned (to turn off the EGR) or running the 6.1 PCM. What intake manifold is stiing up top? Stock 5.7 manifold will have port mismatch with 6.1 heads. Unless the 6.1 is running it's original valve cover (and wasn't swapped over from the previous 5.7) you can't. 6.1 from late 2005 is identical to a 6.1 from 2010 no matter what vehicle it was installed in.

Of course all of this subject to verification; you may even have a 6.1 short block running 5.7 heads.

ric3xrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most 6.1 block can be bored out to 4.09, 4.08 to be safe. 03-08 5.7 blocks ca be safely bored out to 4.0 , but there are no off the self pistons for them (http://www.shophemi.com/p-1168-arrington-410-short-block.aspx )

Miniman 5.7 Bore to use Apache stock size valve heads is 3.957(.040 over) , the Intake valve will physical hit the edge of the stock(5.7) bore.
Apache heads are what come stock on the 6.4s,392s, Hellcat & Demon , Hellcat/Demon head is a different casting, it has more material in the Intake mounting area.
There have been modified(port and Polish) Apache heads that are flowing in the high 300 CFM(380-390ish)

Glad you did drag this up,
I have nothing toad to the PCM question, Lonestar covered it very well, I just want to correct my above statement, it's the Exhaust valve that will hit the stock 3.917 bore, depending on how inline the bores are from the factory.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How did you do it to wire up the coils and get rid of the ignition wires ?

did u change timing covers to make the intake clear ?
You can either solder new connectors on or use adapters:
IMAG2911.jpg

Front timing cover you can modify it (if you can machine stuff) or get the modified one (cost you a pretty penny though) or the other option is to convert to the LX timing cover and accessory drive (also not exactly cheap and VERY different).