6.1 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
is it possible to use the 6.1 timing cover and accessories on a swap ? That way you could use the 6.1 heads and intake

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes, however...are you willing to do/can afford getting rid of your clutch fan and switching to an electric fan (permanently), creating a custom air intake to the filter, rerouting and lengthening the alternator and throttle body wiring (at minimum) to their new locations, creating new A/C hoses to route to the compressor's new location and either a custom radiator or some creative hose work?
You do realize you don't NEED the 6.1 timing cover and accessories to use the 6.1 heads and intake, right....?
Before you go off half cocked, you don't need all that to go fast. Check out his truck: https://www.ramforum.com/members/chefred112.402/

-fastfreddie-
one quick 05 5.7 hemi qc... with over 309k on block... best et: 12.1 @113
-Inertia Motorsports 392 stroker assy born 7/2014 :)

Prior to the stroker he was running big valve heads and a cam and running mid to high 12's all motor.

I mean, unless you really wanna do all that work and spend the money; knock yourself out lol

OP
OP
Max1329

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
Yes, however...are you willing to do/can afford getting rid of your clutch fan and switching to an electric fan (permanently), creating a custom air intake to the filter, rerouting and lengthening the alternator and throttle body wiring (at minimum) to their new locations, creating new A/C hoses to route to the compressor's new location and either a custom radiator or some creative hose work?
You do realize you don't NEED the 6.1 timing cover and accessories to use the 6.1 heads and intake, right....?
Before you go off half cocked, you don't need all that to go fast. Check out his truck: https://www.ramforum.com/members/chefred112.402/

-fastfreddie-

Prior to the stroker he was running big valve heads and a cam and running mid to high 12's all motor.

I mean, unless you really wanna do all that work and spend the money; knock yourself out lol

Sorry I just went to a shop and that’s what they told me obv they were wrong

OP
OP
Max1329

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi

-fastfreddie-

Can you clearify then how I can use the 6.1 heads etc and use my 5.7 accessories because where the throttle body on the 6.1 interferes with the 5.7 timing cover

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Can you clearify then how I can use the 6.1 heads etc and use my 5.7 accessories because where the throttle body on the 6.1 interferes with the 5.7 timing cover
I can clarify (dunno what clearify is). Nobody does research anymore....if you're insistent on using the 6.1 intake, get the modified timing cover that moves the alternator & compressor out of the way. You still have to lengthen the throttle body harness and convert to an electric fan, plus fab your own air intake tubing. This has been done for well over a decade, have you looked up anything...?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Max1329

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
I can clarify (dunno what clearify is). Nobody does research anymore....if you're insistent on using the 6.1 intake, get the modified timing cover that moves the alternator & compressor out of the way. You still have to lengthen the throttle body harness and convert to an electric fan, plus fab your own air intake tubing. This has been done for well over a decade, have you looked up anything...?

Yeah I have I’ve read every single post on the forum Referencing t referencing he 6.1 I was just a bit confused because a shop told me otherwise.
Does the 6.1 intake flow better? The heads are obviously better flowing right? Sorry about the occasional typo that’s just the dyslexia Showin it’s face a bit

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Can't get EVERYTHING from a single forum lol. If I did that from the beginning I would've never done some of the mods I've done lol. Shops are hit or miss unless it's a reputable one with modern Mopar experience. Yes, the 6.1 intake does flow better as do the heads than the early 5.7 heads, though you have to decide if the cost of certain alterations to use them are worth it. I've shown you what modded 5.7 heads with the stock intake manifold can do. You said you didn't want to spend an inordinate amount of money but then you seem hell bent on doing a full 6.1 top end swap (which WILL cost you extra to make it work properly). This on top of a possible rebuild and/or long block replacement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Max1329

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
Can't get EVERYTHING from a single forum lol. If I did that from the beginning I would've never done some of the mods I've done lol. Shops are hit or miss unless it's a reputable one with modern Mopar experience. Yes, the 6.1 intake does flow better as do the heads than the early 5.7 heads, though you have to decide if the cost of certain alterations to use them are worth it. I've shown you what modded 5.7 heads with the stock intake manifold can do. You said you didn't want to spend an inordinate amount of money but then you seem hell bent on doing a full 6.1 top end swap (which WILL cost you extra to make it work properly). This on top of a possible rebuild and/or long block replacement.

Unrelated but I can’t seem to remember if I thanked you for your service so thank you for protecting our freedoms

OP
OP
Max1329

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
Yes the shop is strictly mopar preformancd,but everyone doesn’t know everything, how much power will be lost by using a stock 5.7 top end?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Unrelated but I can’t seem to remember if I thanked you for your service so thank you for protecting our freedoms

Never have to, that's what we're here for

Yes the shop is strictly mopar preformancd,but everyone doesn’t know everything, how much power will be lost by using a stock 5.7 top end?

I have doubts about that shop if they told you that you HAD to. Depends on how it's put together and tuned. You need to really sit down and think, then balance your performance goals and budget. No point going any further until you have a direction.

OP
OP
Max1329

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
Never have to, that's what we're here for

I have doubts about that shop if they told you that you HAD to. Depends on how it's put together and tuned. You need to really sit down and think, then balance your performance goals and budget. No point going any further until you have a direction.

Yeah he told me he had to but this is also a mopar racing shop and doesn’t like to do things half way

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah he told me he had to but this is also a mopar racing shop and doesn’t like to do things half way

Its not halfway if you want a street truck that actually functions. I'm not commenting further until you come up with a budget and performance goal, not just ooooh I want a 6.1 top end. Otherwise I wish you luck.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Max you might post some of questions on HTC, there are a couple trucks there with 6.1 heads/manifolds...

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
21e8f3eb1faefcd00c2e6feeb27a5fac.jpgfca631a1f3e3bdf0f2aa9de4b6667dc0.jpg7f916f2d07e8649ebfa6c3e9407bff45.jpg

Not the best pictures, but here’s an 06 ram that came in and was 6.1 swapped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Max1329

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
21e8f3eb1faefcd00c2e6feeb27a5fac.jpgfca631a1f3e3bdf0f2aa9de4b6667dc0.jpg7f916f2d07e8649ebfa6c3e9407bff45.jpg

Not the best pictures, but here’s an 06 ram that came in and was 6.1 swapped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any clue what he did with the ac/alternator?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I don't remember if I posted on this forum since I'm not on it mush anymore, but I have done a full LX car 5.7/6.1 car timing cover swap. I have a write up detailing it all on Hemi Truck club. It's simple and it really really cleans up the engine bar. No major issues, but it is a technically unnecessary expense because theres no gains and there is the cost of the parts. But I am happy I did it. I plan on using a newer eagle truck intake and the cover swap really made that easier as far as having room for the intake manifold.
39741351193_79053bc433_c.jpgUntitled by Chris Pearce, on Flickr
31778384717_ed4f8491af_c.jpgUntitled by Chris Pearce, on Flickr

https://www.hemitruckclub.com/forum...timing-cover-to-a-car-timing-cover-29654.html