6.4 did well with our new trailer.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
699B1FC0-A112-4B54-8CBE-BBFBA1E16D16.jpeg Picked up our new trailer yesterday.
2020 Stealth FK3016G. It’s 36’ long and is 9,815lbs empty. It has a 150gallon water tank which was 3/4 full and a 40gallon fuel station that was 1/4 full.
I didn’t weigh it but it should have been in the neighborhood of 11,000lbs.

I have a ‘18 6.4 with 4:10gears I was easily able to do 65mph on freeway and I climbed the cajon pass at 4000rpm in second gear at 50mph with plenty of throttle left. Truck was hunting between 2nd and 3rd so I manually held it in 2nd.

Truck surprised me, I was worried that I would need to upgrade to a diesel. But after yesterday I think at most I will regear it if I can get it done under $2500

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
That's great! Glad to hear that report.

You probably already know this, but just in case, you realize you have some loading issues right? Your truck has too much rear end sag and your headlights are pointed up (not enough weight on the steer axle)

You either need to readjust your wdh, load the trailer differently or add some Air bags to level it out. The trailer attitude looks good, pretty level front to back, maybe a little nose low with is ok.

Just figured I'd mention it, again, just in case.

OP
OP
B

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's great! Glad to hear that report.

You probably already know this, but just in case, you realize you have some loading issues right? Your truck has too much rear end sag and your headlights are pointed up (not enough weight on the steer axle)

You either need to readjust your wdh, load the trailer differently or add some Air bags to level it out. The trailer attitude looks good, pretty level front to back, maybe a little nose low with is ok.

Just figured I'd mention it, again, just in case.

This is the first time I towed this trailer. The place I bought it from set up the hitch. I’m going to try to tilt the head to put more load on the bars and see what happens.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Good deal. Yes, you need to return most of the weight to the steer angle so your headlights are not binding other drivers and your front tires have proper traction and braking performance.

OP
OP
B

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good deal. Yes, you need to return most of the weight to the steer angle so your headlights are not binding other drivers and your front tires have proper traction and braking performance.
Also since it’s a Toyhauler they have a bunch of tongue weight built in. So when you load the fuel station and you in the back the tongue will get lighter not heavier since most of that weight is at or behind the axle.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hard to tell what kind of hitch but it seems like spring bars with sway control due to friction points.

I would download the manual and reconfigure it entirely. Rv dealers are notorious for improperly installing these things that it's almost a crime.

You can verify your work by going to a cat scale afterwards for verification.

The end results should be: front end squat down 1 or 2" and the rear should squat +-2 to 3" depending.

OP
OP
B

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys just to clarify This is not my first rodeo I’ve towed numerous trailers And set up many hitches. I have had a commercial class a license and I knew the hitch was not ideal when I left the dealer I do not need to download the install manual I’ve use this type of hitch before.

this post was not hey how do I set up my hitch or what do you think of my hitch set up?

it was the show with the 6.4 is capable of doing for anyone else interested in purchasing this truck and expecting to haul a similar set up.

Relax when I get a minute I’ll get it set up better

OP
OP
B

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was sitting here laughing about people thinking my hitch setup is way off.
It’s not perfect by any means. But the picture above makes it look way worse than it is.
This picture was taking just after I took delivery. Setup looks dam close to me.
Might be perfect after I load the toys and fuel station. 280F0EE0-664F-435B-B5EB-BEFBD6327BF5.jpeg

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have always said that for my preference 10k pounds and under I would use Gas, 10k and up Diesel. That being said that was based off of stock configuration of the HD trucks up to 2019.

I haven’t driven any of the new gas HD trucks be it Ram/Ford/GM. The new motor/Transmission configurations may change my mind as they new have enough gearing to be useful down low/mid range/and top end. Again this is just my preference, but maybe you should go drive the new Hd”s and see what you think.

OP
OP
B

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have always said that for my preference 10k pounds and under I would use Gas, 10k and up Diesel. That being said that was based off of stock configuration of the HD trucks up to 2019.

I haven’t driven any of the new gas HD trucks be it Ram/Ford/GM. The new motor/Transmission configurations may change my mind as they new have enough gearing to be useful down low/mid range/and top end. Again this is just my preference, but maybe you should go drive the new Hd”s and see what you think.
I just bought this truck only had 6500miles. I will likely hear it. Taking a loss on this truck would **** my wife off to no end.
But she is the one that had to have a big trailer lol

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just bought this truck only had 6500miles. I will likely hear it. Taking a loss on this truck would **** my wife off to no end.
But she is the one that had to have a big trailer lol

Yeah, I've been banned from trading since I've had like 5 new vehicles to her one over the past decade. Plus I love my truck. I'm wanting to regear and my take the plunge today actually. I'm just hoping it is worth the money as well.

terb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
steam
You must have been in Arizona when you were going 65 mph right??

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The second picture looks better so possibly the angle.

That is a big trailer! Good thing you got a 4.10! I'm not sure I'd shell out 2500bones for regear though. I'd be very curious how the 5th gen 2500 hemi does with the 8hp75. I hear it makes a huge difference.

OP
OP
B

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The second picture looks better so possibly the angle.

That is a big trailer! Good thing you got a 4.10! I'm not sure I'd shell out 2500bones for regear though. I'd be very curious how the 5th gen 2500 hemi does with the 8hp75. I hear it makes a huge difference.

I agree $2500 is a lot of money to shell out without knowing how much of a difference it’s going to make or even if you will be able to feel a difference.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I agree $2500 is a lot of money to shell out without knowing how much of a difference it’s going to make or even if you will be able to feel a difference.

If you go over to the HD forum there are many guys that have done it & say it REALLY livens up the truck. Although most guys are doing it cause they have installed larger tires. As I said I am doing it cause I have started pulling a 13,000+ 5th wheel. If I already had the 4.10's I might not do the leap for gears. And you might not notice much of a difference unless you went up to the 4.88's. As others have said diesel would be better for greater than 10k but holy crap they are high! Sets you back an extra 10 grand on top of an already expensive truck! Add 12k if you want the HO engine. Not worth it for me currently. Once I get mine installed next week I am sure I will be posting how they have changed the truck.

OP
OP
B

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you go over to the HD forum there are many guys that have done it & say it REALLY livens up the truck. Although most guys are doing it cause they have installed larger tires. As I said I am doing it cause I have started pulling a 13,000+ 5th wheel. If I already had the 4.10's I might not do the leap for gears. And you might not notice much of a difference unless you went up to the 4.88's. As others have said diesel would be better for greater than 10k but holy crap they are high! Sets you back an extra 10 grand on top of an already expensive truck! Add 12k if you want the HO engine. Not worth it for me currently. Once I get mine installed next week I am sure I will be posting how they have changed the truck.
I’m waiting for your review. My trailer is 10k empty and can be loaded to 13,700lb. So we have similar situations.