6.4 exhaust manifold project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Getting ready to tackle the passenger side exhaust manifold. Didn’t take long to find the broken bolts. Both bolts on rear holding heat shield are broke. From what I can see so far they are at least not broke flush with the head. I plan on spraying them down with Kroil the day before I start. Fingers crossed. 2407821a8e91f2651d4517abe54a52f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Thanks for pic. Breakage is very clear.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Even though I’m not going to be running the headers. Are the remflex gaskets still the way to go? Are these good if just going back with stock manifolds? I thought I read somewhere that they were the preferred choice for a gasket but can’t recall if they were only for headers. Thanks

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wish you luck. My 5.7 went to the dealer 3 times for manifolds.

Pray I don’t have the same issue with my 6.4. It seems to be allot less common in the 6.4

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Make sure you plane them before reinstalling and they should last - until the bolts rust away.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Make sure you plane them before reinstalling and they should last - until the bolts rust away.

Yeah that’s something I am wanting to do but not real sure how to go about it. I have access to a belt sander and have read about people using them to make them flat.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What year truck and how many miles are on it?

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2015 with 147k

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok is it the first time your having to do this repair on it?

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m thinking about just replacing the rear bolts every 30k miles on my 2019 cause I’m pretty sure that’s the only ones that break.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I purchased it with 130k on it. So I honestly don’t know if they were ever done. To me it doesn’t look as though the passenger side has ever been done but the drivers side look like newer bolts. Not all rusted up like the passenger side.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah my old 5.7 hemi ones broke about 80k

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah that’s something I am wanting to do but not real sure how to go about it. I have access to a belt sander and have read about people using them to make them flat.

That will work , just check them with a 3 or 4' level or straight edge.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That will work , just check them with a 3 or 4' level or straight edge.

Thank you for the response. My plan is to hopefully tackle it this weekend and hope the studs come out without much trouble.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah my old 5.7 hemi ones broke about 80k

Mine did too but I ended up getting rid of the truck before I fixed them. Pretty common on the 5.7. It was a 2011 and the rocker panels were ate up with rust also so I wasn’t putting to much into it.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well didn’t go so well. I got the bolts removed from the down pipe and started on my first bolt out of the manifold and it broke at the head. I used kroil and put some heat on it and still broke on me. Very frustrating and don’t want to break anymore. It now sounds like even more **** than it already did.
I put it all back together until I can get better prepared to remove the broken studs. I don’t have the capability to get them out in my garage. Really need a welder and I don’t have that here so going to wait until I can line one up or just send to shop and let them deal with it.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Man that stinks. Sorry to hear that. Yeah,..you've got a pickle now. Have to hope you can grab it with an easy out (be super careful you don't snap that off also) welding a nut on may work and not you can see if you can center punch the broken stud and drill it out with a left hand twist drill bit.

All else fails its head pulling time....hope not for your sake

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah I think it’s going to the shop. The shop I use for our work trucks specialize in heavy duty trucks. Going to check with them Monday to get a quote on doing it for me. I prefer to do work myself but I think it’s best to let a shop with all the right tools handle it. I gave it a shot but not in the cards for me to do it. It absolutely sounds terrible right now just breaking that one stud. Live and learn I guess.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got some left handed drill bits and drilled a hole in the center with a regular drill and a center punch to start it. Then I used an easy out and it come right out with no problems. Got all the bits center punch and easy outs off Amazon for less than 30$ too!

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I got some left handed drill bits and drilled a hole in the center with a regular drill and a center punch to start it. Then I used an easy out and it come right out with no problems. Got all the bits center punch and easy outs off Amazon for less than 30$ too!

Thanks I’ll keep that in mind if I end up doing it. The way the first one came out and broke makes me nervous.