6.4 exhaust manifold project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I didn’t think it would come out but it came out very easy. Where are you located? I’m in the south where the winters aren’t to bad so my truck didn’t have much rust or corrosion from the salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah I didn’t think it would come out but it came out very easy. Where are you located? I’m in the south where the winters aren’t to bad so my truck didn’t have much rust or corrosion from the salt.

I live just north of Cincinnati Ohio. So the winters are very harsh on the vehicles here. Surprisingly my truck isn’t bad with the rust. I bought it used and think who ever had it before me did take care of it. I try to spray the underneath every time I wash it myself so it doesn’t happen as quick as some.

Kertusca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Have a 2014 Ram 3500 6.4 just recently replaced both manifolds due to broken bolts 130,000 miles.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Have a 2014 Ram 3500 6.4 just recently replaced both manifolds due to broken bolts 130,000 miles.

As of right now I think it’s only my right side. The left side looks to have been done recently but not 100% sure. I don’t think it is leaking but I have been wrong before. I’ll address it at another time if so.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think it’s fair to say! I miss my truck right now! I’ve been driving my wife’s car and my sons Xterra while in the shop and while are nice to drive it’s nothing compared to driving my truck. Just get used to driving a bigger vehicle and feel like I’m riding on the ground. Still waiting on what it is going to cost to fix.

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sorry for all of your troubles. I replaced mine at 106,000 miles. I think they broke at 95K. Passenger side was bad; driver side came out no problem. Didn’t trust my skills so took it to a shop. Used aftermarket studs / bolts and Mahle head gaskets. Will see how long this set up lasts.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sorry for all of your troubles. I replaced mine at 106,000 miles. I think they broke at 95K. Passenger side was bad; driver side came out no problem. Didn’t trust my skills so took it to a shop. Used aftermarket studs / bolts and Mahle head gaskets. Will see how long this set up lasts.

Thanks. I questioned my own skills on this one. I normally do all my own work if it’s not something electrical. Even then I will at least look into it. If it’s mechanical or just unbolt and bolt back up I don’t usually hesitate but I knew the possibility of these breaking. Quite honestly it isn’t even a hard job to remove the manifold at all as far as how easy it is to get to it. That’s why I wanted to try and do it. Just don’t have the courage to remove the broken studs out of my head. Rather leave it to someone with more knowledge and the right tools than I have. Very hard to throw in the towel but I know the possible outcome.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'm just curious but of all the replies here about doing this or having it done.....are any of you having the dealership do this under warranty? I had an '09 1500 with the 5.7 and had it done 2 or 3 times and all under warranty. I was told back then that the Maxcare also did cover it so the last time I think I did pay the $100. I suck at hearing the "tick" but do wonder on my 6.4 if it's something to ask about the next time it goes in for service. Any of you have the service dept. refuse to do this under warranty?

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks. I questioned my own skills on this one. I normally do all my own work if it’s not something electrical. Even then I will at least look into it. If it’s mechanical or just unbolt and bolt back up I don’t usually hesitate but I knew the possibility of these breaking. Quite honestly it isn’t even a hard job to remove the manifold at all as far as how easy it is to get to it. That’s why I wanted to try and do it. Just don’t have the courage to remove the broken studs out of my head. Rather leave it to someone with more knowledge and the right tools than I have. Very hard to throw in the towel but I know the possible outcome.

Buckeye,

You are doing the right thing by taking it to a shop. If you accidently drill through the heads then you have a bigger / more expensive mess on your hands! Hope you get the truck back on the road. Keep us updated.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Got the truck back today. Everything sounds great so far. They had to extract 3 broken studs out of the head that had broke off. Probably not the cheapest shop around but I’m not going to argue with it because I’m just glad it’s done. They charged me 840 bucks for parts, labor and tax. Most of that labor of course.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Glad you have it back and all seems well.

Did they replace the manifolds or surface them?

Sorry about that big bill, but there are times when I dont have the proper tools to do a job that I contemplate just taking it somewhere. I haven't yet and just struggle through it...lol...but the older I get, the louder those voices are becoming...lol

I'll keep at it awhile yet, but at some point I'll have to consider the trade off of time doing it myself versus having someone else do it and what I'd do with that extra time. It's a trade off because I am very particular about my equipment and dont have a lot of trust in today's generation of technicians.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Glad you have it back and all seems well.

Did they replace the manifolds or surface them?

Sorry about that big bill, but there are times when I dont have the proper tools to do a job that I contemplate just taking it somewhere. I haven't yet and just struggle through it...lol...but the older I get, the louder those voices are becoming...lol

I'll keep at it awhile yet, but at some point I'll have to consider the trade off of time doing it myself versus having someone else do it and what I'd do with that extra time. It's a trade off because I am very particular about my equipment and dont have a lot of trust in today's generation of technicians.

Thanks. They resurfaced it and made sure the original was true and put it back on. Which I was good with as long as it was flat and not warped.
I agree with you about not trusting many people to do the job right and the younger generation of techs. One of the reason I let the shop take of it is because I do trust them with it. I have all of my work trucks done through them. I know the lead tech there and he is the one that extracted the bolts for me. He an older guy and has been working on heavy duty trucks for years. He knows I would have done it myself if I could have but he had all right tools for it and extracted many before. The money is a hard pill to swallow for sure when taking it in for repair.