6.4 HEMI - Aftermarket Muffler for Old Man

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Heaton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 5.7 Regular cab Express with the 8 speed. I cut the y pipe and built dual 2.5 inch off if it with a close quarter x pipe. Followed it up with dual 2.5 to two Thrush welded chambered mufflers (35 each at Oreilly's) and finished off by connecting to the factory tail pipes at the muffler exits. Its a little loud when its backed up to the garage. Not like those damn Mustangs with straight pipes but, still a little loud. I'm noticing the trans downshifting when I come to the light now. guess I never heard that with the school bus muffler?

Lilbxl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I see them now, thanks for taking time to share again.

Boy, that is a simple retrofit, isn't it? I didn't see a sound clip on Solo's site, maybe I will look again.

I really wonder about the volume of sound, seeing as the canister is so small compared to the gigantic stock canister. I understand the Solo is packed with stainless steel wool though, according to their website.

Here's one.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I found the sound videos on Solo's website - I didn't realize videos were sound clips - thought Solo would have posted sound clips only.

Anyway, from what I can tell from a video, it sort of sounds like my previous Ram 1500 exhaust? (5.7 hemi) Would you agree, or haven't you driven or heard a 5.7 hemi?

Looking at your pics again, it looks like the stock pipes are 409 stainless? They have a slight oxide glaze to them, compared to 304 stainless.

Simon Ellis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I found the sound videos on Solo's website - I didn't realize videos were sound clips - thought Solo would have posted sound clips only.

Anyway, from what I can tell from a video, it sort of sounds like my previous Ram 1500 exhaust? (5.7 hemi) Would you agree, or haven't you driven or heard a 5.7 hemi?

Looking at your pics again, it looks like the stock pipes are 409 stainless? They have a slight oxide glaze to them, compared to 304 stainless.

We have a couple of 1500 work trucks and the MR400 solo is a bit deeper and louder. I don't believe the MR400 has any steel wool from what I could see. It has a dimpled inner chamber to help reflect sound waves, but nothing to directly dampen the sound. I can't speak to the grade of stainless.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
We have a couple of 1500 work trucks and the MR400 solo is a bit deeper and louder. I don't believe the MR400 has any steel wool from what I could see. It has a dimpled inner chamber to help reflect sound waves, but nothing to directly dampen the sound. I can't speak to the grade of stainless.

"The MR400 aggressively louvered, resonator is heavily packed with ceramic fiber and stainless steel wool."

https://shop-solo-performance.com/e...ler-assembly-dodge-ram-1500-hemi-pick-up.html

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just to add to your dilemma. If you add headers, even with the cats the exhaust will get louder. I'm sure this isn't much of a surprise but just keep that in mind when you're shopping.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
How did you remove the flapper? Can you detail what was used and how? Thanks in advance.

In my case it was a 2 step process. I used a piece of steel pipe and a handheld sledge to break the flap from the shaft. As mentioned, it only took a few good whacks before it broke off. However it was still wedged in the muffler so I wound up taking a piece of bar stock steel and folding one end over so I could slip it past the flap and retrieve it. You could really use any kind of hook here but the flap was stuck 8-9 inches into the muffler so you need something long to retrieve it. It was wedged pretty tight so in my case the bent bar stock worked best.

Again, here you can see it still stuck in the tool I made.

BadFlap.jpg

mark s walk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep - Magnaflow is in the "dude" muffler realm - make a lot of noise to annoy others & draw attention to yourself, regardless of performance benefit. Not for old guys anymore.

I'm going either with Solo Mach 82 or Flowmaster Big Block (if I can get in SS). Still evaluating. Frequent snow & cold here is slowing me down.
i am 67 deleted my muffler great deep mellow sound

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I know your pain. I spent way too long trying to decide which way to go. Listening to every video I could and reading every review.

Ok, I did what you did and listened to a bunch of videos with ear buds. Had my sons listen also, they've done a number of these over the years.

We all agree the Solo MR400 has the best quality sound and least volume. And easiest retrofit and best price (leaves the stock tailpipe resonator in, which is fine with me).

I'm thinking I'll try it for "only" $385.....the other complete cat back systems are $700 and up.

Thanks for all the info you posted!!!

Bill Knight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you want mid rumble, Flowmaster 40 series, 40 series Delta flow or Supper 44 is the way to go. A 50 series might be up your alley too. Personally I've had the 40 and Super 44, wasn't loud enough for me. So I run a Flowmaster Super 10 series. Not for those who try to sneak around undetected. Pretty much has the open header sound with up all the popping and crackling at idle. Anything above that, peoples knows you on your way lol.....

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Too much retrofitting for me. Flowmaster sizes are not close to stock, and need multiple hangers added

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Update: I plan to install ARH long tube headers before the exhaust manifold bolts break, but that's expensive so have to budget for later this spring.

Was going to go ahead and and try the SOLO Performance MR400 Exhaust drop-in, then thought what if the headers add too much noise?

I've asked Nick@GTExhaust for guidance.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Update. Knocking out the stupid flapper valve in the stock muffler was as fail. It did nothing much to improve the sound quality. I can't believe on a cammed 6.4 truck with full length headers a modified factory muffler would still manage to be that effective. Completely killed any and all rumble from the engine. So, as an act of desperation I just bought the largest Flowmaster available (a 50 Series Big Block). Needed two additional pieces of pipe and 4 hangers but otherwise it was plug & play. The big downside is it's not stainless so I expect in a few years I'd have to buy another one. But it WORKS. Truck is only loud on a cold start. Has a nice rumble at idle. Quiet-ish unless you get near full throttle, but you can still hear it a bit while around town. So far, zero drone. Has that signature Flowmaster sound, but way toned down. Will get some videos when I get a chance.

https://www.holley.com/products/exh...ered_mufflers/50_series_big_block/parts/53553

For reference, here's a chart of the chambered lineup.
FMChart.jpg

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Thanks for report, @theviking . Much obliged.

Yep - I was considering calling up Flowmaster to see if they'd make their 50 Series Big Block in SS, before I dropped this upgrade to save for full length headers first. Was also considering Solo bolt-in. These were the 2 performance mufflers I was down to considering.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I put the mufflex replacement muffler on mine. It`s a magnaflow muffler with the additional pipe installed to make it a direct replacement. Nice rumble but not crazy loud. The wife even said it sounds good. Yes I`ll repeat that.The wife even says it sounds good. Comes with all the hangers installed and 2 new clamps.