6.4 hemi lifter issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justintyme01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It’s been a couple years since I posted. I sold my ram when the dealer wouldn’t address my lifter issues. I’m in another half ton but am looking at getting a 3/4 ton. I loved my ram until it started having issues. I wanted to ask if the 6.4 had the same cam and lifter failures as my 5.7 did. Thanks everyone. In all honesty the ram 1500 may have ruined me for rams in general. I’m leaning toward a gm 6.0 gasser but would look at a 6.4 if I find the right deal. I’ve had two ram half tons so far and both had issues. The Dakota I had was the absolute worst vehicle I ever owned.

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
Ive got the 2015 with 89000 plus miles with no issues,changing oil at 3750-4500 miles.Ive used full synthetic from new using purolator one filters.Its been a dependable truck thus far

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yes, it's the same design. There are many more 5.7L Hemis in production than 6.4L Hemis, therefore there are obviously more failures of the 5.7's owing to the sheer number of engines out there. And the 5.7L has been in production longer as well.

Mike Murphy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Deleted
Engine
Deleted
10+ years as a GM technician. GM cams and lifters fail frequently. It all started with spark plugs in Cylinder 1 and 7 fouling out with oil. Then it went down hill from there. The 6.2's bicarbonate sodium valves snap at the bottom of the valve stem. All brands have issues, a majority of the product makes it. There is nothing more important than to buy what you like, not what they like. =]

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Consider a HO Cummins? You can one on the cheap these days for the value you will have long term. I'd never buy another hemi, yes some applications are having lifter issues, but notably they aren't the old known bullet proof engines. You can get a 1996 and under Ford, you wont be having lifter issues if you rebuild that if it is still original.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Or you could try a Ford EV F150 coming out next year. Target pricing is in the $40's, according to the trade rags.

Probably not useful if you live in the sticks, artic north, or tow long range - charging station availability isn't built out yet.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If somehow the bill passes, they will be practically giving those away next year.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Correction: WE will be giving EV's away. It's a double-edged sword.....regardless of arguments about best solutions to global heating reduction, if taxpayers - all taxpayers - are subsidizing EV's, then those who don't buy one don't get any product benefit from their share of the tax burden. This double-incentives people to buy an EV. This is unlike ethanol gasoline, where we were forced to support it AND buy it.

Author note - this is NOT a political / cultural / ideological rant....it is merely a statement of factual cause and effect. Make your own decision, I don't care what you (anyone) do. I'm just saying the decline of internal combustion engines has begun - unless somebody figures out how to cheaply capture carbon dioxide from the exhaust.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I always wait til the deal gets better, so I am waiting til the gov't gives me 20k extra to accept the electric vehicle. It will happen, just you see. I get a new truck plus 20k.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Correction: WE will be giving EV's away. It's a double-edged sword.....regardless of arguments about best solutions to global heating reduction, if taxpayers - all taxpayers - are subsidizing EV's, then those who don't buy one don't get any product benefit from their share of the tax burden. This double-incentives people to buy an EV. This is unlike ethanol gasoline, where we were forced to support it AND buy it.

Author note - this is NOT a political / cultural / ideological rant....it is merely a statement of factual cause and effect. Make your own decision, I don't care what you (anyone) do. I'm just saying the decline of internal combustion engines has begun - unless somebody figures out how to cheaply capture carbon dioxide from the exhaust.
Do you think we will ever get an updated Hemi? like its the same engine since 07, EVEN the lifters lol. Every year i always check allpar and see if FCA proposed a new 5.7

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Do you think we will ever get an updated Hemi? like its the same engine since 07, EVEN the lifters lol. Every year i always check allpar and see if FCA proposed a new 5.7
I think you answered your own question. They waited far too long to reinvest, and changed ownership twice. Who the heck knows what "Stellantis" is doing short of milking current products into the ground for maximum profit.

We've read that they have a plan to introduce an EV truck in 2024, beyond that, nothing. I can tell you from personal experience that design-by-committee corporate holding entity does not work. It's only a matter of low long it takes to fail. Of course, it works for the executives that bought and sold companies, but not for anybody else.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
10+ years as a GM technician. GM cams and lifters fail frequently. It all started with spark plugs in Cylinder 1 and 7 fouling out with oil. Then it went down hill from there. The 6.2's bicarbonate sodium valves snap at the bottom of the valve stem. All brands have issues, a majority of the product makes it. There is nothing more important than to buy what you like, not them. =]
You are right. We have 2 GM trucks, one 2004 and one 2005 with the 5.3 and I've replaced the cam and lifters on both in the 150,000 miles area but nobody wants to hear that!

Mike Murphy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Deleted
Engine
Deleted
=] Edited, Erased my post as I believe they are not warranted or necessary.

Last edited:

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
You are right. We have 2 GM trucks, one 2004 and one 2005 with the 5.3 and I've replaced the cam and lifters on both in the 150,000 miles area but nobody wants to hear that!
Don't get me wrong, I'd be very upset if my cam and lifters had to be replaced. I'm more bothered by the Goobers that designed the engines today where you have to pull the heads. The older ones you could buy a six pack of beer and have the cam and lifters changed before you drank them all. Miss working on the older ones myself! Lol

Mike Murphy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Deleted
Engine
Deleted
Don't get me wrong, I'd be very upset if my cam and lifters had to be replaced. I'm more bothered by the Goobers that designed the engines today where you have to pull the heads. The older ones you could buy a six pack of beer and have the cam and lifters changed before you drank them all. Miss working on the older ones myself! Lol
Old 72 Nova straight 6 with the plates on the side of the engine. Remove plate, change lifters, reinstall plate. Win! \o/

Last edited:
OP
OP
justintyme01

justintyme01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought about looking at another diesel. I had a 6.7 power stroke and we still have a 5.9 Cummins and 7.3 power stroke in the family. I’d much rather have a gas truck these days. My truck will only see about 3-5k miles a year. With the cost of maintenance, fuel prices and the amount of miles the truck actually sees the diesel wouldn’t be worth it to me. I also don’t think I’d ever need more capacity than what a gas job offers.

I also will never buy an electric pickup if I have a choice. I do live pretty far from the closest city and by no means live in town. Some times I tow 10 miles, other times 250. All depends on what I’m doing that day.

MudSkipper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Its not the same lifters... they did the latest revision that all Hemi's use in late 2015... AD Lifters are in everything(some people call them hellcats). People are putting tons of miles and beating the living hell out of hemis.... I beat on mine... and of course if it fails I will go "i didnt beat on it" lol...

OP
OP
justintyme01

justintyme01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a brand new 2018 ram with the 5.7. 38 thousand miles later and the hemi was on its way out. My next truck will not be new.