6.4 hemi lifter issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Last I checked, member @SMI had around 420K miles and still going on his 6.4 HEMI. AFAIK, he had no major issues.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
No why would you ask?
Because saying Mobil 1 is a broad statement. Mobil makes several different 0-40’s/5-40’s. Was curious about alternatives for the PUP unicorn tears.

David J Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2021 RAM with the 5.7. Second one which was a 2018 Rebel 5.7. The 21 started lifter noise at 930 miles. Six months old. The 2018 started lifter noise at 15k which was also the 5.7.
I had a 2009 Jeep Overland with the 5.7 never having any issues whatsoever.
The dealer shop advisor advised 5.7 is a constant problem. Not so much with the 6.4 but that engine has lifter problems as well.
I am also DONE with MOPARS older than 1973. I own a 73 Dart H Code 4 Speed. I love old MOPARS.
My next truck is going to be a Toyota. I read the GM’s are having engine troubles.
Ford trucks use to be great. Not so much anymore. The cab has to be removed from the frame to do major engine work. I find this insane.
IMO Toyota.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
FWIW, in my search for readily available alternatives in my area to PUP 0W-40, I just tried the Mobile 1 European Formula 0W-40 in my 6.4. Put about 20 miles on it with no issues- ran quiet and smooth. Then I didn't start it for two days. When I did start it after sitting for this short period of time, I was appalled at the upper engine/valve train noise the engine made for about 5 seconds. I have never heard such a racket from an engine! I had no choice but to drive the truck for the next few days and as long as I ran it at least once per day, all was good. But as soon as I could I dumped that oil out with less than 500 miles on it. Just isn't worth it to me. Now trying Amsoil SS 0W-40 and so far so good but time will tell.

Just to be clear, I am in no way bashing Mobile 1. I have used it for years on my other two vehicles and have never had an issue with it. But it was real obvious that the Hemi wasn't getting adequate protection from this particular oil, and it is the only Mobile 1 0W-40 product that I can purchase locally that I have found.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
FWIW, in my search for readily available alternatives in my area to PUP 0W-40, I just tried the Mobile 1 European Formula 0W-40 in my 6.4. Put about 20 miles on it with no issues- ran quiet and smooth. Then I didn't start it for two days. When I did start it after sitting for this short period of time, I was appalled at the upper engine/valve train noise the engine made for about 5 seconds. I have never heard such a racket from an engine! I had no choice but to drive the truck for the next few days and as long as I ran it at least once per day, all was good. But as soon as I could I dumped that oil out with less than 500 miles on it. Just isn't worth it to me. Now trying Amsoil SS 0W-40 and so far so good but time will tell.

Just to be clear, I am in no way bashing Mobile 1. I have used it for years on my other two vehicles and have never had an issue with it. But it was real obvious that the Hemi wasn't getting adequate protection from this particular oil, and it is the only Mobile 1 0W-40 product that I can purchase locally that I have found.

Sound more like a lifter problem than a oil problem with some oils better at masking it.

Also, "Mobile" is a place in Alabama and "Mobil" is the oil brand. Smart devices like to auto correct Mobil to Mobile.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sound more like a lifter problem than a oil problem with some oils better at masking it.

Also, "Mobile" is a place in Alabama and "Mobil" is the oil brand. Smart devices like to auto correct Mobil to Mobile.
Thanks for pointing out the autocorrect issue- I didn't notice that!

You could be right about the lifters. Until a few days ago all of the oil changes had been done at the dealer so PUP 0W-40 and always around 4-5,000 mile OCI or twice per year. Never heard anything even remotely close to what I heard with the Mobil 1. I'll see what happens with the Amsoil. Fortunately I have the lifetime warrantee so if things go south it won't kill the pocketbook.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s been a couple years since I posted. I sold my ram when the dealer wouldn’t address my lifter issues. I’m in another half ton but am looking at getting a 3/4 ton. I loved my ram until it started having issues. I wanted to ask if the 6.4 had the same cam and lifter failures as my 5.7 did. Thanks everyone. In all honesty the ram 1500 may have ruined me for rams in general. I’m leaning toward a gm 6.0 gasser but would look at a 6.4 if I find the right deal. I’ve had two ram half tons so far and both had issues. The Dakota I had was the absolute worst vehicle I ever owned.
Use Pennzoil 5W20 and Bestline Racing Engine Treatment with nano diamond technology. My 2015 is incredibily effin smooth to say the least. Oil analysis is sensationally S.A.T! I have used practically every product known to the world of lubricity and Bestline products have proven to be out of this world. Try it... CHECK,CHECK,CHECKITY,CHECK! LOL!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2021 RAM with the 5.7. Second one which was a 2018 Rebel 5.7. The 21 started lifter noise at 930 miles. Six months old. The 2018 started lifter noise at 15k which was also the 5.7.
I had a 2009 Jeep Overland with the 5.7 never having any issues whatsoever.
The dealer shop advisor advised 5.7 is a constant problem. Not so much with the 6.4 but that engine has lifter problems as well.
I am also DONE with MOPARS older than 1973. I own a 73 Dart H Code 4 Speed. I love old MOPARS.
My next truck is going to be a Toyota. I read the GM’s are having engine troubles.
Ford trucks use to be great. Not so much anymore. The cab has to be removed from the frame to do major engine work. I find this insane.
IMO Toyota.

Try a different oil filter such as the Royal Purple or Wix XP or NAPA Platinum.
The chances of having a real lifter issue at 930 miles is slim but with the OEM oil filter, you may get a noise esp. at startup.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Sounds more like a filter problem than anything else. Startup clatter isn't new or unusual when the oil drains out of the filter from sitting. It has happened for as long as hydraulic lifters and pushrods have been around.
Only time it is a lifter issue is when the above happens and the lifters are gummed up and don't pump up like they should. Even then just using certain additives (I used Rislone) to clean the lifters gently usually will fix it - not always but usually.

Start up tick was standard for decades and never really hurt anything.

I couldn't imagine people now days if they still produced the solid lifter slant 6 motors - most of those were a bit noisy, yet best engine ever built as far as durability.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 16 6.4 at 99000 and still quiet. PUP oil every 5 to 6k. Redline for the tranny and gears. I'm keeping it till I fall apart..

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds more like a filter problem than anything else. Startup clatter isn't new or unusual when the oil drains out of the filter from sitting. It has happened for as long as hydraulic lifters and pushrods have been around.
Only time it is a lifter issue is when the above happens and the lifters are gummed up and don't pump up like they should. Even then just using certain additives (I used Rislone) to clean the lifters gently usually will fix it - not always but usually.

Start up tick was standard for decades and never really hurt anything.

I couldn't imagine people now days if they still produced the solid lifter slant 6 motors - most of those were a bit noisy, yet best engine ever built as far as durability.
yup hydraulic lifters make some noise...as just by the nature of their design they bleed down some worse than others just depends on where the cam comes to rest when the crank stops turning..My air cooled Harleys pushrods and hydraulic lifters and bmw oil heads tappets would drive some of these people insane yet would run for 100,000's of miles...

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use Pennzoil 5W20 and Bestline Racing Engine Treatment with nano diamond technology. My 2015 is incredibily effin smooth to say the least. Oil analysis is sensationally S.A.T! I have used practically every product known to the world of lubricity and Bestline products have proven to be out of this world. Try it... CHECK,CHECK,CHECKITY,CHECK! LOL!

if he is looking at a new 6.4L he will need to use PUP 0w40 or other approved 0w40 for warranty sake.