6.4 Hemi or Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Explain the right oil brand/weight. I always use the weight called out in the manual.

5-30 or 5-40 Redline and Amsoil have been reported as reducing the overall amount of ticking heard. I posted a link to a bobistheoilguy.com thread a while back which detailed the various reasons and justifications. When it comes to oil everything is always up for debate but they made some rather compelling arguments in that thread.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
5-30 or 5-40 Redline and Amsoil have been reported as reducing the overall amount of ticking heard. I posted a link to a bobistheoilguy.com thread a while back which detailed the various reasons and justifications. When it comes to oil everything is always up for debate but they made some rather compelling arguments in that thread.
Yes! I run 5w40 Redline in my 6.4

MikeL77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2021 3500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 srw short box ordered for use with a slide in camper. I spoke with three diesel mechanics as to whether I should go gas or diesel. They were all adamant I go with the 6.4 gas. They said diesel's are a pain to deal with today with sensor failures, regular "regens", extra maintenance, and huge extra cost. To a man, they said, "Buy the 6.4. Just put gas in it, and go."

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I am not sure I could go back to gas towing. The exhaust break it a must have feature once you have towed with it. That and fill ups are easy, I just use the truck stops or truck lanes.

Crazyro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'll echo what others said. It's about price and use. I considered a diesel briefly but with a 4 mile commute and towing a few times a year when camping, gas made the most sense. I also, for whatever reason, really fell in the love with the idea of a 6.4 CCLB (though I really liked my Mega Cab) and that's what I went with. Absolutely love driving and towing with this truck! 38' (overall), 8000# camper and she does exactly what she needs to. I have 3.73 rear end and the 6 speed trans (4.10 and 8 would be even better) but I am a very happy camper! (ha, no pun intended)

Wayne007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
I had a 2016 Tradesman with the 5.7 Hemi and on a whim traded it for a 2020 Tradesman 2500 with the Cummins. I absolutely love this truck. It rides better than the 1500, gets better MPG and is just a joy to drive. The diesel mechanics at the dealership were right when they said, once you drive one you'll never go back! To me it feels like a real truck. The Hemi was hands down quicker but it also sounded like the engine was screaming when I got into the throttle. And yes the exhaust brake is a pure delight when towing.

Dive-Ho

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
CTD
Another thing to consider in the diesel vs gas debate is sticker price is $9400 more for the S.O. diesel vs 6.4 gas engine. I bought a new 3500 diesel Ram last July and in all my shopping around I bought a comparably equipped Longhorn 6.7 diesel for only $5200 more than my best price quote on the 6.4. It seems like some dealers will deal a little better on diesel. I now tow 16500 lbs, so glad I choose the diesel.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Another thing to consider in the diesel vs gas debate is sticker price is $9400 more for the S.O. diesel vs 6.4 gas engine. I bought a new 3500 diesel Ram last July and in all my shopping around I bought a comparably equipped Longhorn 6.7 diesel for only $5200 more than my best price quote on the 6.4. It seems like some dealers will deal a little better on diesel. I now tow 16500 lbs, so glad I choose the diesel.

I wouldn't want to regularly tow 16,500 with a 6.4 if there was anything resembling a hill around. At least not with the 6 speed trans.

Highland1371

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tow about 10k 10000 miles a year and regretted not getting a diesel right away. My 3500 diesel is on order

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Diesel hands down.
Better mileage empty & towing.
Better resale value.
More power.
I totally agree, and could not say it better.
I will add, when I got the weekly update of what is happening ( HIGHLIGHTED POSTS )on this website, 6 out of the 10 topics have to do with Hemi with problems, or which oil to use in your Hemi.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
Hemi all the way. With the 8 speed it is a great 2500 that does everything you will need. Unless you are towing very heavy and all the time the diesel is a waist of money. The price difference alone will pay for years of fuel for the gasser. Plus no exhaust fluid and costly repairs for the exhaust system. I have a 2000 5.9 diesel and would not own one with the newer EPA exhaust.

Tony Stark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck is 2019 2500 with 8 speed and 4.10 gears. I pull a 36’ fifth wheel, 11,500 lb with 1100 on the fifth wheel. It pulls the trailer fine and gets about 10mpg if I’m not in a hurry (60-63 mph). I couldn’t justify the money difference to get a diesel and haven’t regretted it.

Scrounger

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 mega cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins
23 mpg with my 2500 Cummins, as a daily driver on the hwy, 15 to 17 around the country side! I don't hot dog my truck and i drive it like i paid a lot of money for it, and i did. Love the Cummins

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am not sure I could go back to gas towing. The exhaust break it a must have feature once you have towed with it. That and fill ups are easy, I just use the truck stops or truck lanes.

Hey Fake, with a properly setup braking system on your trailer and weight distributing hitch on the tow vehicle you really shouldn't be taxing the tow vehicle's brakes any more than running bob.

Will your brakes last longer if you use the jake? Of course. Just like they will if you drive with anticipation (letting off long before the last second), drive only on perfectly flat roads or simply keep the truck parked in the garage and ride your bicycle instead.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I totally agree, and could not say it better.
I will add, when I got the weekly update of what is happening ( HIGHLIGHTED POSTS )on this website, 6 out of the 10 topics have to do with Hemi with problems, or which oil to use in your Hemi.

We see what we want to see. You want to see all the hemi lifter tick threads to justify your diesel, and us hemi guys want to see all the diesel/def horror stories to justify our hemis.

Mathematically; the best option for most people is the hemi. If you simply care about cost of getting your trailer from A to B then the hemi is the better choice. Diesel is a huge cost, repair costs outside of warranty are expensive. You can probably repair a 6.4 three times and still come out ahead financially.

Emotionally; that's different. Some just love how a diesel drives, or don't want to hear an engine scream for hours. That's where diesel comes in.

So unless your trailer is heavier than what the hemi can pull, the hemi is going to be the cheaper option.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Currently have a 2018 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi and want to move up to a 2500. I pull a travel trailer a few times a year and would like to venture out on some out of state trips and know the 2500 is the better way to go. My concern is the Hemi lifter/cam issue and I'm trying to decide if the diesel is worth it for a few times a year of towing. I had a 2012 5.7 that had the lifter/cam fail at 60,000 miles and don't want to go through that again. Pros and Con???
Diesel has a bit more maintenance but a million mile engine. The 6.4 would have to be rebuilt 250-300,000 miles.
Do a test drive of both and pick the one that pulls your trigger.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Diesel has a bit more maintenance but a million mile engine. The 6.4 would have to be rebuilt 250-300,000 miles.
Do a test drive of both and pick the one that pulls your trigger.

The rest of the truck is not a million mile truck and will slowly disolve around the engine (especially if you live anywhere near snow), unless you're doing lots of highway driving (ie you use your truck for business and are always on the road). Most of us are pulling 5w or tt for vacation reasons. Despite the million mile claims, those trucks are unicorns based on a simple auto trader search. I just don't see million mile trucks anywhere.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
23 mpg with my 2500 Cummins, as a daily driver on the hwy, 15 to 17 around the country side! I don't hot dog my truck and i drive it like i paid a lot of money for it, and i did. Love the Cummins

The feel good reading (evic) is usually off. Hand calculate and you will see your real mileage.