6.4 Hemi or Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I would go with the 6.4. I tow all the time and wagon is not even made for towing. Only thing I wish I had is the mega cab..

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I still have to read through the rest, but fundamentally I agree with the informative posters on the first page. It depends on use, weight, and frequency. I don't tow a lot, and when I do it's usually about 6-7k max. That was starting to stress my old '99 1500 5.9L but the 6.4L 2500 doesn't blink. We went with the 2500 as we'd like a TT or a light 5th wheel at some point, but it wouldn't be constant travel or massive weight so the extra diesel cost was still a factor. And we got it far enough down from MSRP. My '17 maxxed around 14k towing, the '21 with the 4.10 is nearly 17k. Even with a percentage held in reserve that's probably more than I'll ever need but it's nice to have.

If you're going to tow heavy and/or frequently, and have the scratch, I'd say diesel is the better option. Or possibly if you'll be running hills a lot. So far my 6.4s have had surprisingly good mileage (around 16 in town, 22ish on hwy) UNLESS I'm in constant stop & go or on hills. Then it's 5-8 MPG. :/ Towing will tank it unless in a diesel, hence frequency and weight consideration. But overall it sounds like the 6.4L should work fine for your needs.

I can't speak to the lifter issue as I haven't seen it. I just keep oil changes on schedule with the dealer since I've often found oil change discounts. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I would have to extremely justify buying a modern diesel. Having owned diesels in the past, two 7.3 powerstroke's and a 5.9 cummins, modern diesels have too much complexity. Just not worth the maintenance and repair costs unless I had no choice. I always have a choice. I'd take a smaller trailer just to not have to deal with a modern diesel.

Everyone I know with a modern diesel is constantly complaining about the lack of reliability and costs. My buddy with 12 trucks for his hauling business traded all his diesels in for 6.4 hemi's and 7.3 gasser's. The extra cost of gas is a lot cheaper than he was paying to keep the diesels running.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
23 mpg with my 2500 Cummins, as a daily driver on the hwy, 15 to 17 around the country side! I don't hot dog my truck and i drive it like i paid a lot of money for it, and i did. Love the Cummins

Ive actually read where its beneficial to hot dog these diesels every now and then. This helps burn the soot and carbon buildup off. Also good to use the exhaust brake!

VR Nicastro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have not figured out why when some people fill up their diesels they feel the need to slop diesel all over the place. Are some people just that stupid or are they doing it on purpose?

It has nothing to do with being “sloppy”
Diesel is an oil. It doesn’t evaporate when it hits the ground.
Gas is just as messy but evaporates so you don’t see the mess at the pumps..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It has nothing to do with being “sloppy”
Diesel is an oil. It doesn’t evaporate when it hits the ground.
Gas is just as messy but evaporates so you don’t see the mess at the pumps..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dunno I have been driving since the early 70's and I some how I manage to pump my gas without spilling it. Pump clicks off I wait a few seconds and carefully remove the handle and voila not a drop hits the ground.