6.4 Hemi overall experiences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JS1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I currently own a 2015 1500. I love my truck, but I'm considering upgrading to a 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi sometime in the next few years. I think the 2500s look better, they tow more (I don't tow much, but it's an added bonus for when I do), and they have a higher maximum payload. Diesel engines are cool, but I likely won't ever have the need for one, and I definitely don't want the higher maintenance/repair costs that come with it. That's why I think the 2500 with the 6.4 is probably the best all around bang for your buck in the Ram lineup. I have read nothing but positive reports from all of you HD gasser guys, but can you talk more about your experience with the 6.4 Hemi engine itself? How reliable has it been?

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have 50k on the nose on mine. I love the truck. I have a 2015 Mega Cab 6.4. We upgraded because of payload, so the gas was our choice because I didn’t need the extra power and loss of payload that the diesel has. My payload is 2400lbs or so and we frequently push that pulling our camper and quads. I also tow a work trailer of 6000lbs or so pretty much every day. The truck pulls and runs everything with ease. I’m not a huge fan of the shift spacing between 1st and 2nd, but that’s the only real gripe I have. I do all of my own maintenance and it’s very minimal. I think I actually do or look at more just because I like to have my hands on my truck. Driving it without pulling anything is still fun, but it’s because it’s just a beast of a truck. It doesn’t have the pep that my 1500 Hemi had, but you have to remember that this truck is around 2500 lbs heavier too. And in that regard it moves pretty well. Overall I’m very happy with the truck, and given my situation doesn’t change I’d buy another 6.4 in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was very happy with my 2014 6.4L powered 2500. It was dependable, powerful, towed my trailer with ease in most cases (the 6% grades in summer heat were a struggle) and, while I wished for a bit better MPG, I reminded myself it was a gas powered truck towing a load and it was doing the best it could.

It really woke up after I installed a cold air intake, freer flowing exhaust and programmer with a custom tune.

I did a few...well, more than a few...mods to the truck to improve or add functionality but the Big Horn package had most of what I needed or wanted in a truck.

Unfortunately, that truck came to a bad end in March of 2017. I ended up with a 2017 Laramie CTD to up my towing capabilities. It's weird, but I've done some of the same mods to it as I did with the 2014!

052516%2001_zpssq4mzfgz.jpg

This sucked...

20170315_063023_zpspiv0r1tl.jpg

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I had no regrets when I had my 2015 6.4L 2500. It was boringly reliable if that makes any sense. I would still be in it had I not succumbed to my whims of wanting to dabble in other new vehicles when they come out.

When I decide to come back to a RAM 2500 recently, I was very much on the fence of going back to a Big Horn 6.4L or my current 6.7L diesel Tradesman. My selection of the diesel was based on a need and not a want. I would have no problem or regret making the opposite decision in selecting another 6.4L if that was what I needed.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had very few regrets with my 6.4.. The Engine was stone reliable.

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I currently own a 2015 1500. I love my truck, but I'm considering upgrading to a 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi sometime in the next few years. I think the 2500s look better, they tow more (I don't tow much, but it's an added bonus for when I do), and they have a higher maximum payload. Diesel engines are cool, but I likely won't ever have the need for one, and I definitely don't want the higher maintenance/repair costs that come with it. That's why I think the 2500 with the 6.4 is probably the best all around bang for your buck in the Ram lineup. I have read nothing but positive reports from all of you HD gasser guys, but can you talk more about your experience with the 6.4 Hemi engine itself? How reliable has it been?

I was in the same boat as you and do not regret moving up to the 2500 with the 6.4 at all. Needed more payload and larger bed plus the bump in towing will open up future options as well. This was after I had finally finished all the mods on the 1500 lol. Now back to square one with the new truck but I def do not regret moving up one bit. I enjoy driving the new one more than I did the old one for sure. As far as reliability I can't speak on that since I still have under 1k miles on mine but my brother has a laramie 2500 with the 6.4 for a year now that he bought used and has had 0 issues with it. As long as you take care of it and do proper maintenance you should have no issues with it for 200k miles. This engine was purpose built for durability and longevity unlike that of the 6.4 hemi's in cars that make the 475hp not that they are unreliable but they are not the same motors as this is a purpose built engine for payload and towing.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Even as a 5 time Cummins owner, I have zero regrets going to the 6.4, drivability is just amazing!

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
2800 miles now on my 6.4 Tradesman Reg cab 4x4 with 4.10 gears. Great truck unless mpg is important. I didnt buy the truck to save gas. Plenty of power and feels like a real truck compared to the 1500 ecodiesel I had.
View attachment 143340

We can buy a lot of gas for the $9000 diesel option. 200,000 miles on these newer gas engines is pretty common so longevity isn't a problem anymore.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
75K on my 6.4 Hemi and am generally happy. By far the biggest annoyance is the tranny gear spacing and shifting which is really only noticeable when towing. I'm hauling heavy with an 11.5K 5th wheel and it gets the job done. If I towed more frequently I'd likely get a diesel but it's not like I'm holding up traffic going up hills. I can maintain 65 up a 6% grade as long as I don't have to slow down.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm really happy with my 16 SLT reg. cab.
Pulls my 8500 lb TT easily. 43000 miles with no hiccups to speak of. The 1- 2 tranny shift is aggravating, but seems better with the Pedal Commander. Finally wore out the factory tires. Not bad for an HD truck..

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I've had absolutely zero problems, and have zero regrets with my 17 6.4 l. I drive it nearly daily, and it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. It's been very reliable for me, and I've had it nearly two years. Only over 7,000 miles, so far, but it's been great. Tons of power, even one pulling my 6000 pound travel trailer. I really like it.

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have had my 17 crew cab long bed for almost 2 years and love it
20k miles no issues
Had a lot of troubles with the 15 Cummins I had no regrets going with the 6.4 hemi
I don't pull often but it's not bad as daily driver
It pulls good when I do
My trailer loaded is around 7-8k and it pulls it great
I have got rid of the chrome
The cclb seemed huge at first but I do enjoy having the long bed

IMG_0892.jpeg

IMG_0893.jpeg

IMG_0956.jpeg

IMG_0826.JPG

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am going through this same process which is a tough one. I have driven both and me personally I think the Desiel truck is a much smoother ride honestly it felt just as good as my 1500. The Hemi version had a lot more bounce to it and felt rougher to me. Both of them were equipped with the off road package however the CTD was a Mega Cab and the Hemi was a Crew. The Sales guy I spoke with last was a certified Desiel mechanic and actually just bought an old Ram Cummins and does all the work himself. Been in the car business for years. He said the biggest issue he sees with the Desiel is when someone uses them just for city driving and short trips. Just as everyone else said they need to be driven. Me I do a lot of HWY miles so that’s not a problem. I know the search can be daunting but actually I am starting to have fun with it. I don’t need the 2500 really at all but to me comfort is a big deal. So far I liked the ride much better of the CTD truck. But I have given up on the Hemi due to the price and fuel cost. Just my 2 cents lot of good information on here for sure. Good Luck.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I unfortunately had the opposite experience. My 2016 Cummins rode so bad, that my wife no longer wanted to travel in it. My 2018 rides so much better, and is extremely comfortable when traveling. It's really weird how it works, best I can figure is maybe wheel size? My 16 was the only heavy duty I had with the 20" wheel package, so minimal sidewall flex maybe?

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I unfortunately had the opposite experience. My 2016 Cummins rode so bad, that my wife no longer wanted to travel in it. My 2018 rides so much better, and is extremely comfortable when traveling. It's really weird how it works, best I can figure is maybe wheel size? My 16 was the only heavy duty I had with the 20" wheel package, so minimal sidewall flex maybe?
So the wife don’t wanna ride in it? You found the perfect truck :laughing1: Wheel size does make a diff. I always keep 18” rims on my trucks. 20’s look good. But the extra side wall makes a smoother ride. But that’s just me.

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Interesting all the ones I have driven have 20” wheels. Was your 16 a Crew Cab or Mega Cab. 4x4?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
My truck has been reliable, and it is "handy" for short trips and lighter towing. It was the right choice for me when I bought it. If towing at elevation, and/or heavy, it struggles pretty badly. As pointed out previously, the gear spacing, and the programming of the 66RFE leaves much to be desired. I personally find it extremely aggravating when towing. My $0.02.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Interesting all the ones I have driven have 20” wheels. Was your 16 a Crew Cab or Mega Cab. 4x4?

My 16 was a crew cab. The previous Cummins trucks I had were:
2005 4 door
2007 4 door
2011 Mega Cab
2013 Mega Cab

All had the 17" wheel package

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
So the wife don’t wanna ride in it? You found the perfect truck :laughing1: Wheel size does make a diff. I always keep 18” rims on my trucks. 20’s look good. But the extra side wall makes a smoother ride. But that’s just me.

Agreed. My current 2018 has 18" wheels