6.4 Hemi to Cummins Turbo diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dive-Ho

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
CTD
I'm a retired Teamster truck driver. I drove all sizes of diesel trucks for 40 years. The last 5 years before I retired in 2016, EVERY diesel truck the company purchased, from the 1 tons up had continuing regen problems. When we bought our 1st TT, because I said we would never have a 5th wheel, I realized pretty quick our plush riding 1/2 ton really wasn't up to towing a 34 foot long 11 foot tall wind sail efficiently and comfortably. I decided I would get a more capable truck, BUT it would never be a long wheel base or a dually and certainly not a diesel. Bought a Ram 2500 with the 6.4 hemi gas engine and all was good towing our 34 ft plus TT averaging 8-10 mpg. I was pretty pleased with my decision knowing I wouldn't have to deal with any regen, DEF or fuel filters or other diesel issues, plus I saved $9100 of the cost for the diesel engine knowing it would take well over 100k miles in the small fuel savings to ever justify the added expense. After a couple of trips out west and driving through some real mountains, I did miss the torque of a diesel engine pulling at much lower rpm's than my hemi that would sometimes pull at 4800 loud rpms for a mile or more at a time (even knowing that was where the engine made it's power.) I was still pretty happy with my choice because I was never going to get a bigger trailer and NEVER a 5th wheel. Well here we sit in our campsite on beautiful Lake Ouachita looking for a new 5th wheel for my new 2020 1 ton Ram Cummins diesel LWB dually to travel the country with. I have relearned two things. Never say "never" and you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.smile.gif If you see some guy on the road pulling a 5th wheel with a LWB diesel dually with egg on his face that will probably be me especially if he's wearing a big grin from all that low rpm power produced by a new diesel dually.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Seems we all have some lessons to learn in life.

I went from a 6.4L HEMI to the Cummins and I am very happy I did.

Enjoy the diesel!

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I only had to buy 3 different trucks to come to the same place you did. At least you figured it out with only one tow vehicle swap! Never go to to any more camper sales, or shows they will tempt you with something new and improved every time.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Pictures or it didn't happen!!! (egg on the face is optional...LOL!)
Once your bit by the diesel towing bug it can be less pleasurable going with a gasser.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Be careful what you end up choosing. We had a 36 foot fiver, and I got the itch to try something else. Now we have a 41 foot fiver, and it really limits where we can go around here, due to this rigs size. The truck doesnt care too much though. I will say the last unit weighed 12k, and this new one weighs closer to 15k. I do notice the difference while towing, especially on braking and when I try to accelerate. Your going to really love that exhaust brake now, thats a life saver when towing something heavy. Love the longhorn interiors, they are purty!
On a side note, those OE nexen tires that come on the HD's are not that great. My fronts failed, with belt seperation at only 14K miles due to the weight of the mighty cummins(see nexen tire bombs). Also my integrated brake controller didnt work very well on this latest fifith wheel. Had to go after market to a tekonsha P3 for trailer brakes.
DSCF0282.JPG

Last edited:

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
If you're traveling a lot and towing a 5W or big TT I can agree with the diesel and dually. That's a great combo you have. The biggest problem with a big gasser towing a big trailer is quite simply getting gas. Most gas pumps are not set up to accommodate a large unit, so it can get to be a PITA. Enjoy that beautiful dually, you earned it!
When I'm able to retire, I plan to get a diesel dually and a nice 5W....f retirement and diesels still exist in 14 years when I'm eligible. ;)

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Pulling in to get gas isn’t usually a problem... it’s when you leave the pump that ashfault real estate really tightens up.
6ADA6251-012C-422C-B133-20A7B3A835E5.jpeg

The next trailer will probably be half the size.... rv parks are fine, but I much prefer those distant forest service sites where this thing will never fit.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As much as I am a fan of the 6.4, you’re definitely better off with the Cummins towing a heavy fifth wheel.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf