6.4 Hemi w/4.10s or Cummins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I bought a dually back in May and find myself not really liking it. I would prefer to go back to a SRW. I've owned the older 6-speed 6.4 Hemis ands 3.73 Cummins.

I plan to level it with 35s and I tow a 24' enclosed trailer with a load varying from 7k-12k for work and usually 3-4 times per week. I dont do much towing beyond that and its probably 250-300 miles per week of towing. My 2020 3500 SRW was leveled on 35s and with the 3.73 Cummins, the mileage could be pretty decent. I really enjoyed test driving that 6.4 with the 8 speed, I'm just concerned that once I leveled it and install 35s, the mileage will be so bad especially with the 4.10s.

Anyone on here with a 6.4 w/4.10s leveled on 35s? What kind of mpg do you get?

OP
OP
RamGuy110

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's it? 13? Lame.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 2020 power wagon on 35’s and get good mpg if i keep it under 80mph. Im on long trip and driving interstate spped limits i am at 15mpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PW here on 35's (factory level and 4:10s): 12 town, 15 highway

I put together a spreadsheet to figure out the cost of ownership for the gas vs diesel in the long term. Using the cost of fuel, gasoline, DEF fluid, researched real world MPG on both, and it took about 250k miles to break even on the initial cost for the diesel engine.

By then, you are probably replacing the gas engine, but that cost is similar to a fuel system replacement on the diesel so I figure that is a wash. The diesel will outlast the gas engine 2 or 3 fold but not its fuel system (been there).

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Both will do the job just fine, but if you are towing 3x a week, the Cummins would be great!

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
PW here on 35's (factory level and 4:10s): 12 town, 15 highway

I put together a spreadsheet to figure out the cost of ownership for the gas vs diesel in the long term. Using the cost of fuel, gasoline, DEF fluid, researched real world MPG on both, and it took about 250k miles to break even on the initial cost for the diesel engine.

By then, you are probably replacing the gas engine, but that cost is similar to a fuel system replacement on the diesel so I figure that is a wash. The diesel will outlast the gas engine 2 or 3 fold but not its fuel system (been there).
The diesel will run 250k+ but the rest of the truck falls apart around it.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
If your looking for something sporty, peppy and fast get the hemi. If your after towing ability and potential then Cummins. I know stuff can be hauled with the hemI but the better/ best for hauling is the Cummins, imo

OP
OP
RamGuy110

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I honestly prefer how the 6.4 w/ the 8-speed drives compared to the S.O. or H.O. Cummins. I have not towed with the 8-speed though. A co-worker of mine just bought an F-350 Lariat Tremor with the power stroke and damnit, I hate to say it, but I kind of like that better than the Ram. Pains me to say!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I honestly prefer how the 6.4 w/ the 8-speed drives compared to the S.O. or H.O. Cummins. I have not towed with the 8-speed though. A co-worker of mine just bought an F-350 Lariat Tremor with the power stroke and damnit, I hate to say it, but I kind of like that better than the Ram. Pains me to say!

The Powerstoke is a more "peppy" driving truck then the lazy (but very capable) straight 6 cummins. I Love my cummins but not going to lie that new powerstoke is on my radar.

OP
OP
RamGuy110

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It wasn't only the power stroke, but the cab size, I found the lariat seats more comfortable than my Limited seats. I like the larger overall windshield where the adaptive cruise control unit doesn't block half the windshield and the power telescopic steering wheel was a big plus. Like I said, I hate saying it.

I think the Ram wins with the power spotter mirror, overall styling and design, touchscreen and tech and the gauge cluster has so much info compared to the other brands.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
The 6.4 with 8 speed tows beautifully, and unloaded driving is so much better than a Cummins (I've had 6 Cummins)

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
It wasn't only the power stroke, but the cab size, I found the lariat seats more comfortable than my Limited seats. I like the larger overall windshield where the adaptive cruise control unit doesn't block half the windshield and the power telescopic steering wheel was a big plus. Like I said, I hate saying it.

I think the Ram wins with the power spotter mirror, overall styling and design, touchscreen and tech and the gauge cluster has so much info compared to the other brands.
I looked at the Lariat before ordering my Laramie. I found the interior sub-par and seemingly cheap in comparison. IMO

OP
OP
RamGuy110

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would agree about the interior. I like the looks for Ford's new 12" screen in the 2022s, but yes lots of cheap plastics. Nothing close to the Ram.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rams 6.4 is no match for ford’s 7.3 gasser. I have to say i am a bit disappointed with my 2020 6.4 hemi‘s giddy up. If i were buying a truck tomorrow and a 7.3 gasser was available i would go that route. I do like my power wagon‘s ride but it is lacking a bit In the engine department

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
back on topic,i also compared the cost of a cummins with the 6.4 hemi.i'd never recoup the cost in fuel savings over the extra almost 10k for a cummins.if you need to tow heavy,skip the hemi,fuel mileage/cost is a wash imho.better yet,go get a Power Wagon and go have some fun.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Right - mileage or initial cost are not independent variables. You trade them off to see which works. My calculations concur with @General Clortho , payback for extra capital outlay for the diesel (plus finance interest) goes waaaaaay out their in usage miles. You can pay for a lot of gasoline for the much higher prices of the diesel package and finance interest.

The real question is how you intend to use - if you're pulling a heavy trailer in mountains, I wouldn't even consider gasoline regardless of axle gear ratio or transmission type. I pull a moderate weight trailer in moderate hilly country, therefore 6.4L Hemi is perfect for me. And after driving it I can validate that.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Anymore you can't look at the cost you have to actually want the diesel. You will never get your money back until trade in time. I loved driving my 14 with the 6.4 with 3.73 gears and loved it ever more when I changed it to 4.44 gears. However after the trans started going and I traded it for a HO cummins I will never buy another truck with a gas engine. Just the ease of driving compared to the lack of low end grunt of the hemi makes it a much more enjoyable experience empty let alone towing. I am averaging 16 or so with 35's on my HO cummins and with my 6.4 I was averaging 12-12.5 with the same size tires.