6.4 intake manifold swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have to change then fuel rial put to change the injectors? If so, did you have to change the crossover hose? I don’t think I can get that hose off of the 6.4l to swap it, without cutting it.
The 6.4 fuel rails fit. Just switch sides. Mine came broken. That’s why I couldn’t use them. The 6.4 injectors work but you need to tune the truck for them or use injector spacers to accommodate the stock 5.7 injectors like I did.

Esequiel Lozano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 truck intake manifold and 6.4 stock air box is installed. Currently running 5.7 injectors with spacers. Now need to get a tune so I can swap in the 6.4 injectors and delete mds. May just have to buy a pcm from diablo... wanted to just unlock mine but may have to go the easy route. Can’t let my truck be down anytime soon. For anyone interested the 5.7 fuel rail does fit but needs a new hose for the crossover. Was a 5/16 high pressure fuel and transmission line. Also, drilled and tapped the 6.4 manifold to run my catch can. There is no way stock on the 6.4 manifold to run a catch can. If you look in the pictures you can see I drilled the egr blockoff plate and install a 1/2” barbed 90° fitting with a 1/4npt thread into the blockoff plate. The pvc side I drilled into the stock pcv housing and tapped it for another 1/2” barbed straight fitting with a 1/4” npt thread and just plug the stock vacuum port into the manifold so it only sucks through the catch can. Either jb weld or another form of putty should be good as long as it’ll harden and adhere to plastic. Posted in my build thread as well. This is with plans to install a aev snorkel in the future.

View attachment 213655

View attachment 213656

View attachment 213657

View attachment 213658

View attachment 213659

Esequiel Lozano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you did the 6.4 intake manifold swap did you buy a kit or did you extend the harness ,buy the egr block off plate , and injector spacers? And does any 6.4 Hemi ram intake manifold work for the conversion from a 5.7?

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you did the 6.4 intake manifold swap did you buy a kit or did you extend the harness ,buy the egr block off plate , and injector spacers? And does any 6.4 Hemi ram intake manifold work for the conversion from a 5.7?
I actually bought a used intake. I bought the injectors spacers from fore innovations. I can’t remember which spacers they were. And I bought the egr plate. You could make your own egr plate if you have 1/4” steel and a angle grinder or saw. It’s honestly easier to buy the kit from moes performance or from mmx as it comes full ready to drop in. On Facebook is takayama Sam. He makes harnesses to extend the wire harness for the srv. It’s great if you don’t mind spending the money. Also has a lot of great info on swaps. High performance rams is a great page as well were a lot of guys do this swap. The 6.4 truck manifold is a direct swap. The 6.4 car manifold is not a direct swap and requires some modifications to make it work. Not entirely sure what needs to be done for that.

Esequiel Lozano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, One more question, did you have to change the MAP sensor also? Or are the 5.7 and 6.4 the same MAP sensor?

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, One more question, did you have to change the MAP sensor also? Or are the 5.7 and 6.4 the same MAP sensor?
5.7 map sensor fits. Requires minor trimming. Not sure if the 6.4 map sensor plug is the same because my intake did not have one.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Aren't all the vacuum hoses in different spots too? Were the 5.7 ones able to fit without modifying?

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aren't all the vacuum hoses in different spots too? Were the 5.7 ones able to fit without modifying?
Only one that’s a different hose is the vacuum booster. I just bought longer hose to replace. Everything else is the same. Vacuum booster is on the back of the manifold on the 6.4 as opposed to the front on the 5.7

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Nice mod. Is your intake variable vane? if so how did you end up controlling the vane length? If I missed it I apologize, no coffee yet

I'm right in the middle of upper engine rebuild, cam, heads, etc. I am now focusing on my intake and TB. I've been looking for awhile to find a drop-in performance intake for my 6.4l bge, the 6.4l car engine definitely steals the after-market, at least the marketing. After reading your thread, I'm at the conclusion that my best option is to stick with my OE intake, and hog it out just a bit, maybe port match to the heads and TB.

Any opinions on the 6.4l engine and a performance intake for it?
tia

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Nice mod. Is your intake variable vane? if so how did you end up controlling the vane length? If I missed it I apologize, no coffee yet

I'm right in the middle of upper engine rebuild, cam, heads, etc. I am now focusing on my intake and TB. I've been looking for awhile to find a drop-in performance intake for my 6.4l bge, the 6.4l car engine definitely steals the after-market, at least the marketing. After reading your thread, I'm at the conclusion that my best option is to stick with my OE intake, and hog it out just a bit, maybe port match to the heads and TB.

Any opinions on the 6.4l engine and a performance intake for it?
tia

The 5.7 intake is variable vane to,TakayiaSam (sp??) makes a harness kit that extends the 5.7 wiring harness and turns it into a plug-n-play operation.You can track him down on either High Performance Rams or Tuned Rams on facebook,he's not on here.The 6.4 truck intake generally out performs a ported 5.7 truck intake,and if you have the 6.4 intake ported it blows the 5.7 manifold into the weeds.MMX and several other outfits sell a ported 6.4 truck manifold,i think you can even get them through Matt at Moes.

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What Wildone said. The truck 5.7 is already variable just like the 6.4 truck.
Takayama Sam also sells units to convert non variable runner vehicles to operate the runner controller with a window switch. I love my 6.4 intake manifold and 6.4 air box. Soon to add long tubes and an aev snorkel kit. Just trying to pull money together. Even on a stock truck the 6.4 manifold really was surprising with the power change. You can really tell the exhaust is the restriction though. At higher rpm with the stock manifolds you can feel the truck want to go but it just doesn’t push as hard. I know custom tune and long tubes will clear that right up
@WY.Ram Isn’t your truck already a 6.4 2500? The stock box is great in my opinion. I tried a s&b intake on my 5.7 but swapped up to a 6.4 airbox with the 6.4 manifold and actually noticed no difference between them.

Dannyn_01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Takayama Sam also sells units to convert non variable runner vehicles to operate the runner controller with a window switch. I love my 6.4 intake manifold and 6.4 air box. Soon to add long tubes and an aev snorkel kit. Just trying to pull money together. Even on a stock truck the 6.4 manifold really was surprising with the power change. You can really tell the exhaust is the restriction though. At higher rpm with the stock manifolds you can feel the truck want to go but it just doesn’t push as hard. I know custom tune and long tubes will clear that right up
@WY.Ram Isn’t your truck already a 6.4 2500? The stock box is great in my opinion. I tried a s&b intake on my 5.7 but swapped up to a 6.4 airbox with the 6.4 manifold and actually noticed no difference between them.

+1 on the stock box being great. I still have the stock intake manifold on my truck but I went from the S&B back to the stock 5.7 box (with my own personal touch) and didn't notice a difference. feels like it pulls harder at higher speeds with this setup though...
IMG_6811.jpg

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I shoulda realized the 5.7 was already variable. Perfect.

Yes, my 2500 is with a 6.4l and its goods. Since I was in the process of a cam swap and porting heads I want to make sure the entire top end is at its potential. I started looking into porting the intake. Then the chain reaction began and I started eyeballing $1000 intakes. Obviously unnecessary. I saw the ported 6.4 from MMX, that might be the choice, my only hesitation is the three to five week turn time on the MMX. Three week would be survivable but the five week would kinda get me itchn. My heads are still at machine shop tho so not sure what my rush is

Would you guys consider doing the port match grind yourself by hand? Or is that not highly recommended?

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got my 6.4 manifold setup for the catch can and ready to install this weekend. Thanks @crazykid1994 for the walk through and answering my questions.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a 90 degree fitting for the egr valve anywhere, even online that I would receive quick enough. Oh well. I can swap it out later if desired.20211103_185641.jpg20211103_185636.jpg

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've got my 6.4 manifold setup for the catch can and ready to install this weekend. Thanks @crazykid1994 for the walk through and answering my questions.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a 90 degree fitting for the egr valve anywhere, even online that I would receive quick enough. Oh well. I can swap it out later if desired.View attachment 476181View attachment 476180
Your local hardware store will have brass fittings usually in the plumbing section.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your local hardware store will have brass fittings usually in the plumbing section.
I checked the menards flagship store right down the road and no dice. They usually carry more odds and ends than most, but they didn't even have the straight ones in this size. Luckily I ordered these ones on Amazon the other day. Almost all the 90 degree fittings were plastic junk. Tried searching online at lowes and HD and that was a bust as well.

I did order a 90 with 3/8 npt from Amazon, but it wasn't coming until tomorrow. I went ahead and canceled it because I had the spare straight one and liked that I could actually ratchet the fitting down good and tight. I can order a 1/4 npt online if I really want and swap it out later pretty easy, but may just leave it as is.

EDIT: Just found a 5 pack on Amazon that can be here Friday so I pulled the trigger on those. I guess they just came back in stock.

Last edited:

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the 6.4 manifold on late last night, so I figured I'd give an update on my experience and performance perspective. Install wasn't too bad except I bent the plug loose on one of my new coil packs trying to wrestle the old intake out and had to get another one. Pulling the valve cover off the driver side was still a pita with the manifold off as well. Everything looked good on the valvetrain, so hopefully the new injectors or map sensor I put in fixes my p219a and cylinder misfires. I also pulled the vvt solenoid and didn't see any metal shards. If not, I'll have to break out the penetrating oil and try to get that upstream 02 sensor replaced.

I took the truck out last night afterwards for a quick test drive. I gave a few WOTs while cruising at 50 before the truck warmed up. Definitely noticed a difference and at somewhere around 4k to 5k rpm it just completely kicked in to another level pulling significantly harder. First WOT from a stand still and the 37s spun for 50 ft or so compared to the 10 ft as usual. That was quite a surprise. From there, I knew I would only get two 0-60 pulls in with the Diablo, so I put it in 4wd.

Yes, I know the Diablo isn't 100% accurate and the track is the true test, but it's the easiest way for me to benchmark performance changes. My previous best in approximately 70 degrees was 5.42. I believe that was before I put the underdrive pulley on a couple years ago.

So, with the cold 45 degree temps, first pull in 4wd, it was unfortunately slightly downhill on the back half... 4.79. Obviously the decline is a huge factor there. The second run, I did 2wd on flatter ground. Rolling into the throttle with no burnout, it was 4.92. Again, I know These numbers aren't necessarily accurate, but from a comparison perspective, that's some noticeable gains.20211106_230043.jpg

Last edited: