6.4 Plug Change Tips???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Thanks for pics. Did you go through wheel wells?
Those plugs are shot, coated with deposits, probably ash. Electrodes don't look too burned, though. How many miles?

Different plug coatings usually indicate unequal AFR. Perhaps end air induction biases foward cylinders for more accurate AFR mixture?
Chevy used to have centered induction, so corner cylinders ran rich.

To have all 8 run perfect would require a MAP sensor in each cylinder induction tube, and AFR signal doe each fuel injector. Big bucks.

OP
OP
FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for pics. Did you go through wheel wells?
Those plugs are shot, coated with deposits, probably ash. Electrodes don't look too burned, though. How many miles?

Different plug coatings usually indicate unequal AFR. Perhaps end air induction biases foward cylinders for more accurate AFR mixture?
Chevy used to have centered induction, so corner cylinders ran rich.

To have all 8 run perfect would require a MAP sensor in each cylinder induction tube, and AFR signal doe each fuel injector. Big bucks.
Got a tick over 108K on them. I did not go through the wheel wells. I just stood in a chair and went from the top. Pretty simple once you find the right combination of extensions, u joints, and such to snake around the heater hoses and A/C lines on the passenger side, bulge in the firewall on the driver side, and the oil dipstick tube.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I like changing plugs on hot engines. In fact, on engines while they're running!
Keeps things exciting!
That's not exciting, I not only have it running while changing them, I do it while someone is driving the vehicle. Now THAT'S exciting.

:driver::gr_grin:

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Changed em out. All went pretty smoothly considering. Plugs looked well used compared to the new ones. On the rear plugs I was noticing that the threads looked damp and smelled like oil and gas (third picture), but the fronts were dry. The electrode was dry. The fluid appeared to only be on the threads. Never noticed this before when changing Chevrolet plugs. Is this normal for a Hemi, or a sign of a problem?

How did the wet plug come out? Was it easier then the others?

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Got a tick over 108K on them. I did not go through the wheel wells. I just stood in a chair and went from the top. Pretty simple once you find the right combination of extensions, u joints, and such to snake around the heater hoses and A/C lines on the passenger side, bulge in the firewall on the driver side, and the oil dipstick tube.
The gearwrench 80546 magnetic swivel spark plug socket is the sh*znit for doing the plugs on the 5.7, not sure about the 6.4 though. Well worth the $12 - $15.

Glad you got it done.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's not exciting, I not only have it running while changing them, I do it while someone is driving the vehicle. Now THAT'S exciting.

:driver::gr_grin:
I heard that if you p*ss on the spark plugs while it is running it will keep them cooler for easier changeout. :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How did the wet plug come out? Was it easier then the others?
Not much different than the fronts actually, which were totally dry and a little more corroded in the threads. The middle 2 cylinders were actually the easiest the thread out.