6.4L 180° Tstat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone reached out to Moes?
If anyone has a solution it’s them. A lot of guys have tuned 6.4 2500”s with out changing the T stat to a lower temp, just curious as to why you want to?

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
People like to drop them into stock SRT cars that are used to just cruise around on the street. I'm of the opinion where, especially without a tune, you are just wasting your time and money. Particularly in cold weather and at a stop, the computers are thinking the engine is too cold and throw more fuel at it. You could even end up with a CEL if it really won’t get up to temp. If I was going to be regularly tracking an SRT I’d think about doing a thermostat along with my tune. But I don’t see what the point is on an HD Ram. Or even on a SRT that you aren’t beating on at a track regularly where 20 degrees might matter a little. Maybe if you are towing with the truck almost every day? There are plenty of Hemi trucks and cars out there working hard on stock cooling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Has anyone reached out to Moes?
If anyone has a solution it’s them. A lot of guys have tuned 6.4 2500”s with out changing the T stat to a lower temp, just curious as to why you want to?
A little history:
I live outside of Denver, southwest about 15 miles, elevation 6700 ft, tucked up in the foothills of the Rockies. My trucks main avenue to everywhere and anywhere is a ****storm of an interstate, I-25. The traffic pattern on 25 is if you are going 90mph, you are in the way, hang on! Stop! Right to 0 very quickly, ok now GO, come on, I'm important out the way, usually this someone is within 6 feet of my tailgate, wanting to go faster. Damn lady, there's 18 miles of taillights ahead, what good does it do to ride in my pocket?
God I love my truck.

This is way too long, someone should break thumbs. I do apologize, I should have eaten lunch. I got stuff i gotta do, is what it is TMI, but i want to show that this isnt some 20F trick, it's been thought about and studied and a 20F drop seems to make sense, although I dont know if I do.........

The truck could live with the OE thermostat temp but I think she'll live longer and stronger if I can turn the summer time temps down just a bit. Yet as difficult is this mod is proving to be the temp might be the temp. I am going to try a 180F stat spring from a 1500 stat.

For any who were wondering the 1500 5.7 housing and stat don't straight swap. The stat has a different length and the recirculating valve wouldnt seat. I'm going to try to swap the spring shortly, slight chance. I'llpost more later, I want to answer RatKets question.

I am trying to implement lower summer time operating temp for the truck. I'd like to see intake stream, the combustion chamber, the trans 10 to 15F cooler. However much is needed to avoid knock

I see high temps being detrimental to the life of the truck, especially when high temps bring knock.

My 6.4 has 0 LT and 0 ST running 93 can tune on 91 fuel, during all points of driving, zero knock, but only as long as my temps are down.

The CAI, right now, my dealer installed K&N CAI is a flipn joke. The air box is at least 1" away from sealing against the hood. And if it did seal, the remaining factory RAM version of CAI is almost as bad; pulling 'cold air' from just inside the engine bay.

With an ambient air temp of 85F my intake air stream in stop and go traffic is upwards 135+F . That right there gives me knock, short term and long term.

When I'm rolling 90mph, my intake stream is 8F to 15F warmer than ambient air. No knock but CAI gotta be sucking air right of the exhaust manifold! lol, kidding. Kinda

Engine bay could stand to lose a little temp as well. I see signs of heat stress on almost everything under the hood, including the intake air stream, moving or sitting.

Engine bay heat, this is what I am doing ceramic coat a premium exhaust system from ARH. Paid $2044 for ArH tubes, cats, and pipes (f.... beautiful by the way) then threw another $500 to $600, (and 3 weeks) to have the thermal barrier applied. I was told that alone could remove 175F. But I'm pushing $3500 on plumbing past the dear axle and it's not even hung yet. But the ceramic coating / thermal barrier was done only and I mean only because I believe high temps are so very unhealthy and the chosen o.p is too high. Because these affects are not too far off o.p

So, in a shell, the effort will include sealing, rerouting, and insulating the CAI, losing the OE Exhaust logs and installing. Ceramic coated ARH LT headers and exhaust system. (And ceramic coated all the way past the trans)
(ceramic coating by Pristine Powder Coating, denver)

I figure my 6.4 is making a large part of the heat, dropping it 20F will give the entire system the opportunity to perform its cooling tasks even better

It's not like I'm pulling the stat and free flowing, but I wanna stay well south of high temp stress and a 20F lower stat and operating point seems to really make sense.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
What he said^^^^ only im in 115f in summer towing in AZ. Cooler is better .

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it was me and I was trying to accomplish all that you are, I would first get a proper CAI or a after market hood that has the hood scoop dump air right over that’s CAI. Or and do the “ 4” flex tube mod from the grill to the side of the CAI filter box. They make water proof bags that go over the filter so you don’t have to worry about water. I imagine you have MDS shut off as I fear it would take more of a toll on engine wear than heat. You don’t have to explain heat to me.. I moved from the Eastern sierras of Cali “ Comparable to ur weather “ to The desert of Arizona. Another you could do is a full coolant flush, and switch to a better coolant. I would be careful with what plastics and fender liners you remove in the engine bay as some of those are designed to help direct air. Have you looked into custom running? I’ve heard good things about greene tunes on the 6.4 and he should be able to help with that knock. Can you provide us specifics on your truck? Gear ratio?/Tire size?/ lift? /Aftermarket bumper? Have you tried running high quality lubricants all the way around as well to help? Ie - transfer case fluid/diff oil/ tranny coolant? Have you ever heard of BND Automotive? They are really popular in the moose world and due custom lubricants for everything on these vehicles to fit the needs and wants we all have.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I have the S&B intake on my truck and it has been solid. I have heard mixed things about the K&N on the 6.4. Unfortunately Hemis just generate a lot of heat. Especially the bigger ones.

AEV makes a functional heat extracting hood similar to a Hellcat hood for the HDs but they are pricey and are usually back ordered. I hear they really work well though.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'd like to comment a little more later, I am getting ready to head over the "ike gauntlet" (as TFL calls it) and I'll be towing on the way back.

TRUCK specs 6.4L, 6 speed, 4.10's, 35" Mickey Thompson MT, K&N CAI, Magnaflow cat back, with ARH lt's w hi flow cats ready to install, T2 w 93 canned tuna and either Greene tuning or local Dyno tune from RPM after header install. I'll answer the rest of the questions and feeling some more information as soon as I'm not driving81e2a7acbf7158d433268eac4a968c91.jpg
286b3c14ebbb45d852d76f60731e1507.jpg
0341976be1099c16db833235013d6a74.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Well it looks like we are out of luck. at least for now.