6.4L Hemi Oil Choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FireWagon140

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Back on November 22nd, I became the proud new owner of a 2019 Power Wagon. I also started grave shift that night. I took in my owners manual and read threw it, surprised that it recommended an oil change at 2K Miles which was to allow brake in. My Wife and Mines Chevy cars didn’t have break in periods and I figure every other manufacturer was the same.

Anyways yesterday the 7th I clicked over to 1K on the odometer.

I been researching oil but it seems it’s all opinion. I for years ran Royal Purple religiously, till my local Walmart stopped selling it (Wife is a Walmart associate so I have a spouse discount card) and they started reselling it just this year...

Others have advised me to use either Amsoil or Redline.

Is there any one oil that majority rule says is superb for the 6.4L Hemi?

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Back on November 22nd, I became the proud new owner of a 2019 Power Wagon. I also started grave shift that night. I took in my owners manual and read threw it, surprised that it recommended an oil change at 2K Miles which was to allow brake in. My Wife and Mines Chevy cars didn’t have break in periods and I figure every other manufacturer was the same.

I been researching oil but it seems it’s all opinion. I for years ran Royal Purple religiously, till my local Walmart stopped selling it (Wife is a Walmart associate so I have a spouse discount card) and they started reselling it just this year...

No. You will get 100 different opinions on what is best and you are an idiot for not using what they tell you too. Bottom line any name brand synthetic will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Go look at the Synthetic oil thread, years of research on these engines and how to protect them the best. Amsoil Signature Series, Redline, Quaker State Ultra Durability, Mobil 1. Those are the top 4 the guys have done the research and Used Oil Analysis on.

0W-40
5W-40
10W-40

Couple of us are going to try some 50w oils soon as well.

The testing with Royal Purple has show they changed their formula and removed some of the things the HEMI needs to help it last as long as it can.

Edit: Redline has proven through testing to be the best protection, with Amsoil being a close second.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

dexter

Banned
Reaction score

Forget the Royal Purple or Redline guys ... they will drive your nuts.

Check your owners manual and see if your engine needs MS 12633 oil. If so get the right oil. You spent a lot of money for that truck, don't go cheap on the most important fluid.

Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0w 40, Amsoil, Supreme 9000™ Full Synthetic 0W-40, meets that standard. Others may also.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Unless you have the misfortune of owning a 6.4 that ticks, and your search leads you to a particular oil that was the only one that kept it at bay for a reasonably long OCI. My 6.4 had startup clatter and hot tick on the OEM PUP 0W40, and sounded like a thrashing machine on Amsoil SS 0W40.

OP
OP
FireWagon140

FireWagon140

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The testing with Royal Purple has show they changed their formula and removed some of the things the HEMI needs to help it last as long as it can.

Edit: Redline has proven through testing to be the best protection, with Amsoil being a close second.

I had read on a few forums that were dated 3-4 years ago that there were some who all together quit using RP with the only reason made by one guy was RP wasn’t Esther based just had a good additive package.

I’ll look into Redline and Amsoil more.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you ask me, I say PUP 0w40 is the best choice unless you get tick, if you get the tick, join syn thread and we will go throw some things together, if not never look back. Please read oil filter thread in my sig, pair that 0w40 PUP with a synthetic filter, very important. PUP 0w40 was made with fca and pennzoil in tandem for your truck, a special formula. Not the best for ticks, but I can't think of better for a well sounding truck.

There is an oil poll here as well, top 4 choices at ram forum are all good for ya, Pennzoil, m1 or redline and amsoil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That was true and now it’s still not Esther based and they removed all the good stuff from their additive package

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

They actually went away from group 4, but the oxidation numbers suggest some esters, uf we are talking RP. The bigger issue is the ever changing formula = dodgy. There is a guy at bob's theory on oxidation numbers and esters, very interesting read. If you want me to find that for ya jeff let me know, I'll find it.

OP
OP
FireWagon140

FireWagon140

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Burla I am not seeing any signature let alone a link to an oil filter thread. Mopar was gonna be my choice but interested in seeing what others recommend.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Burla I am not seeing any signature let alone a link to an oil filter thread. Mopar was gonna be my choice but interested in seeing what others recommend.

here ya go

Bottom line, Royal Purple/Amsoil ea filters, fram ultra, wix xp, or SRT filter should get you great filtration that does not degrade, as in ever. These filters outlast any oil.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 5.7, not a 6.3 , so maybe they are different?
I see down south you guys are talking 0-30, 0-40, up here in the north we called that winter oil.
I used a 0/30 syth. in my tractor in winter .
I have always used 5/20 in my Hemi's as that is what the book says to use. I use Syth.
I have had 3 or 4, never a tick, or cam, I don't put a lot of miles on.
Change at the dealer as a rule , last few yrs.
Do they say to use 0/20 or 30 in the manual now?

OP
OP
FireWagon140

FireWagon140

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Burla, thanks I am between a Wix XP and a RP.

What is the P/N for the Wix XP?

also has anyone ever used Liqui Moly oil? How about using Liqui Moly MOS2 oil additive?

just all came to mind last night.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Burla, thanks I am between a Wix XP and a RP.

What is the P/N for the Wix XP?

also has anyone ever used Liqui Moly oil? How about using Liqui Moly MOS2 oil additive?

just all came to mind last night.

I believe liqui moly oil actually uses something other then moly, crazy. Mos2 has had decent success, the question with that product is the juice worth the squeeze, plenty of examples of that falling out of suspension over the years. The question is can lubegard biotech do the same thing with no chance of falling out of suspension, or does the relief you get from mos2 make it a good choice regardless if some falls out? This hasn't been answered yet, but mos2 needs to be in the conversation as it has been proven to do what some oils can't, keep piston slap away. Most uoa's show little to no moly in their oil...

y2rBO.png

That doesn't mean it wont work, just that it doesn't use moly. Kind of weird considering their name?

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine

used amsoil 10 years now ! I dump mine at 500 then 2000 then put new amsoil so engine brakes in ! use to rebuild engines fine every 2000 but now 59,000 doing 3000 cuz oil keeps clean and no lifter noise like other s on cold and oil got a diablo turner turn off mds cuz bad problems to come I feel for some with it on ! hope u can get a tuner for it so runs better for years 91 oct don't have 93 here ! sucks but did alot on truck runs sooo great ! use to work at ford engines sit like maybe a year befor put in oil s so thick allways dumped mine on new trucks at 500 and u see its bad ! do two reg oil frist to beak in ok or 3 will be ok ! scott

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine

oh look at oil noise problems ok really helps cuz at 0 below many are having problems ! mine ok at 30 nothing for years with mine that's 10 years now ! think its mds on cousin problems in cold i did a turner turn it of royal oil seems bad ? amsoil no problem ! maybe there filter who knows right ! i ll use there filter in sumer and see ok !

OP
OP
FireWagon140

FireWagon140

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Burla do you think Liqui-Moly 0w40 would be worth running in a 6.4? Or should I just go with Redline 0w40?

I am waiting to see what comes out but hoping to put a tuner on the truck to disable the MDS and so when bump up tire size can adjust for them.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Burla do you think Liqui-Moly 0w40 would be worth running in a 6.4? Or should I just go with Redline 0w40?

I am waiting to see what comes out but hoping to put a tuner on the truck to disable the MDS and so when bump up tire size can adjust for them.

I try and avoid making choices for people unless someone asks me about quieting hemi tick. I can say liqui moly oil is the real deal, it is euro made oil with desirable specs such as mercedes. As you can see below, if comparing liqui moly against most otc stuff, it stands out as high quality base oils. Likely less aw/ep additives then redline as it is low ash friendly anyhow.

While liqui moly looks pretty damn good against the crowd, you picked the one oil that just beats it in every category when comparing it to redline. This is just why people here like it, performs in the trucks better, long term uoa's are great, and the stat sheets speak to why. There is no doubt which oil is better, the question is does that difference have any tangible results in any given engine, and the answer to that in most engines is no it really wont matter much. Now, when we consider hemis that may be the one application where an oil built as good as it gets matters. That is for the consumer to decide.

Higher hths is better, lower noack is better, higher viscosity index is better, lower pour point s better...

Liqui Moly

Viscosity at 212°F 13,4
viscosity index 181
HTHS at 302 °F >= 3,5
Pour point -65 °F
(Noack) 11,0 %
Flash point 446 °F

Redline 0w40

Vis @ 100°C, CSt 15.4
Viscosity Index 190
CCS Viscosity, Poise, @ °C 57@-35
Pour Point, °C -60
Pour Point, °F -76
NOACK Evaporation Loss,1hr @ 482°F (250°C), % 9
HTHS Vis, 4.0

OP
OP
FireWagon140

FireWagon140

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thanks to your all’s help and more research I am gonna go with Redline oil.