6.4L parasitic draw with TIPM out of the truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4L
Hi All!
I have been reading for a while but never saw anything like my issue.
I have a 2014 RAM 6.4 HEMI and after everything goes to sleep my parasitic draw is 430mA. I pulled all the fuses and relays and then i pulled the whole TIPM out of the truck and my parasitic draw is still 411mA.
The truck drives fine, the radio doesnt work and i didnt tow in the while so not sure about that pigtail.
I looked under the dash for the second fuse box but couldnt find it, even looked through the book and it looks like i only have the under the hood fuse box.
I cant imagine what can bypass the TIPM to create a short. Im a second owner so maybe some aftermarket gadget or smth that i cant find.
I hope someone has an idea because im lost here
Thanks

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you removed the PDC completely the main power feed to most of the vehicle is disconnected. Some aftermarket gizmo would need to be connected at the battery and would be easy to spot. The only other things connecting before the PDC are the alternator and the starter. I'd start with disconnecting the alternator.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RAMington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4L
Looks like somehow it was the stereo. when i disconnected it the draw went to 20mA from 420mA. Not sure how.
Been driving without radio for a week.
Will update if the issue comes back and it turns out to be an alternator or starter intermittent issue somehow.
I did replace TIPM in the midst of it all. The one from 2017 1500 works fine on 2014 2500 by the way.

Jhon Matheew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Experiencing parasitic draw on a 2014 RAM 6.4 HEMI after TIPM removal?
Check for the aftermarket additions, consult online forums, and consider professional diagnosis. Obtain a service manual for your RAM Model and contact manufacturer's support if needed. Address the issues promptly to prevent battery drain and potential damage.
If troubleshooting fails, seeks professional assistance.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Experiencing parasitic draw on a 2014 RAM 6.4 HEMI after TIPM removal?
Check for the aftermarket additions, consult online forums, and consider professional diagnosis. Obtain a service manual for your RAM Model and contact manufacturer's support if needed. Address the issues promptly to prevent battery drain and potential damage.
If troubleshooting fails, seeks professional assistance.

You have certainly rad-capped the tailpipe and covered all the angles with that response.

Too bad the OP hasn't been seen since May last year.

Screenshot_20240202-083925_Vivaldi Browser.jpg

And, if you read the post immediately above your's, the OP has already identified the fault. :cool:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Here's an interesting idea.

If the alternator was buggered up, it could be the source of your parasitic draw, and isolating it might not be too difficult. Check this post and then review the entire thread;

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/parasitic-draw.149589/post-2115420

And View attachment 515878to Ram Forum. :cool:

Spot on. A kacked diode can easily create a parasitic draw. Diode is a one way gate, if it burns out, it is no longer one way and will allow battery to discharge. Same is true for starter with a sticky soleniod.

Should have read to end of posts, didn't realise this was a Neckro thread. That said, had difficulty seeing how the radio would be the cause unless the OP wired part of it direct to the battery rather then through the TIPM like a normal hookup.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Believe the radio's have a 2nd feed (inline fuse behind the battery) for the memory and such.