6.4L rough idle at start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chad prater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Mine still does it occasionally to this day and has not gotten any worse. Clearly something isn't right, but no codes and runs good.

Ford and GM build decent trucks, well Ford anyway, I'm not a GM truck fan at all. They all have issues, none are perfect, but I still love my ram to this day
Yes, they all have issues and I really do love the truck but Chrysler has been pitiful with how they've handled my situation. I've had Fords before and they at least seem to stand behind their products.

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's it rough idle or rough start? Reason I ask is mine would have an occasional rough or stutter start and occasional gas cap light. Progressed to doing it every time I filled up. Found the problem to be the vapor canister purge valve in the engine bay. Haven't had any of those issues since replaced.
Rough idle, she turns over and starts no problem…new battery helps a lot haha

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Yes, they all have issues and I really do love the truck but Chrysler has been pitiful with how they've handled my situation. I've had Fords before and they at least seem to stand behind their products.
Yes, I have as well, new purchaes with the opposite experience. A lot depends on the dealer, but they all have issues.

John Sabatula

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Guess my 18 2500 35,700 miles got the rough idle now, started it up today and you had to hold the gas down to keep it running , it would only Rev to about 2500rpm max, take you foot off of the gas it would stall, also had service anti lock brake system chirpping at me now, sucks as the anti lock brake module was replaced once under warranty already. This stuff always happens at the worst of times.... think there are some gremlins in this truck. Dealer never finds anything wrong with it when it had warranty... Guess I'll have to get it towed somewhere to get looked at.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
That sounds like more than the typical rough initial idle concern. The rough idle issue is for maybe the first 30 seconds to a minute of running and then it smooths out. I've never had to keep my foot on the throttle to keep it running or anything like that and it's never stalled.

Al Handy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 2500 Power Wagon, and yes mine too! Sounds like it is running only on 6 instead of 8, does the MDS lifters take longer to load with oil?