6.4L swap..starter issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L SRT8 HEMI
Ok...So I finished a 6.4 SRT8 swap into my 2012 QC bighorn in Oct. '22.
Everything is running great, so much fun to drive, until...
Mid January this year I go out to start my truck to go to work and all I get after turning the key is "click/thud"(starter trying to turn the flexplate)
I tap on the starter motor with a ball peen a few times and try to start the truck again. Vroom... no problem.

I buy a new starter and install it as I do not wish to keep repeating this over and over every morning. Replacement done-truck starts right up no problems, not even the slightest hint of strain.
this worked well for about 3 days. Came out on day 4 to go to work and the same thing as before.."click/thud"
Grab the hammer, tap on the starter motor...no dice. wont turn over.

I've checked the cable to the starter for breaks and burns and it's perfectly sound. I've checked the connection to the starter and it's perfectly secure. I've checked voltage at the starter and it's there. I've had the battery checked(6 months old- tested good)

I've even checked the starter uninstalled and it is not locked up and throws out the gear and retracts it.
The only conclusion I can come to is that it is a bad starter.
I checked with reputable company that sold me the motor about a high torque starter and was assured the 5.7L starter is adequate to start a 6.4L and that I must use the starter for my truck and transmission combination.

Now trying to find a combination of 6.4L coupled to a 65RFE and locate a starter for that combination.

Last edited:
OP
OP
theblackduck87
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L SRT8 HEMI
UPDATE--- For whatever it's worth.
The Zone warranted the starter. (after trying to get me to upgrade to the very unit I was having issues with.)
Got it installed and "Vroom" it turned the engine over and it started.
I guess new parts do go bad.
When I upgrade the transmission I'll upgrade the starter...again.

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sucks you had to do all troubleshooting assuming that the new starter was good. I’m sure I would not have caught it so quickly, I’d still be troubleshooting thinking the new part was good. Good on ya!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963