6.4l terrible mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
How do you see out the window if you don’t warm it up
Many don't around my area, they start the engine, drop it in gear then hammer the go fast pedal, because they can't t see well out of the windshield because its all fogged up they then wonder how they got into a wreck..

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Being a Mississippi resident what you call cold and what alot of the planet calls cold are to differant entities.Alot of vehicles don't get shut off where the temps are -45 or colder if you don't have access to a 120 volt outdoor plug-in to plug the block heater in,so they'll sit an idle 24/7 except to put fuel in them or check the oil.
I have not lived all my life in MS, only moved here recently. And I think the temperature in question was 50F. So not even necessary to scrape the windows free of ice.
And of course there are temperatures on this planet where Diesel fuel gums up and such. I've seen it happen. That obviously requires a different approach, then it's less about wear and tear and more about to get moving at all. But I suppose that doesn't apply to >99% of the world's population.

A block heater (at least the ones I had on RAMs) don't do much to warm up the engine to operating temperatures. They're not nearly powerful enough for that. That's for the previous point of getting underway altogether.

There are two systems that can warm up the engine without putting wear on it. Both rely on a separate pump in the cooling line that circulates and heats up the coolant to get the engine out of that harmful cold-start window. One uses the vehicle's fuel to generate heat, the other is a plug-in system that runs off electricity.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My neighbor starts hers up 3x each morning and lets it run the 15 minute cycle each time. And she only drives about 12 miles to work. This is even on 50* days. The other day it was about 50* and she started it 3x as per her usual schedule. My bedroom window is about 10' from her car so I can hear the horn beep every time she starts it. And she gets a new car every 3 years. She just got a new Chevy Blazer a few months ago. Bjut this is on every vehicle and makes no difference what the temp is outside. Still lets it run 45 minutes every morning.

Oh...and they also replace their brakes like crazy. I swear they replace them every 10,000 miles. Every few months I go outside and he is in the garage with one of their cars on jackstands replacing pads and rotors...lol