6.4l terrible mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grimlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all, I am new to Ram ownership and this forum. I recently bought a 19 power wagon 27000 miles on it with 35s that I do really like but the mpg is appalling. Around town I can get in the mid teens but the average is much lower because anytime you get near the gas pedal it drops to like 6 so it destroys the average. This is all in a totally unloaded vehicle. I drive 20-30 minutes to and from work on open highway. At 70 and up steady state cruising on flat level road it says 10mpg. I’m getting about 270 miles per tank also. My driving is very normal and a good combination of town and highway.
I have been looking for answers on the forums etc and while there is a lot of discussion about the mileage no one seems to have any real answers. I see a lot of people saying they get mid or high teens on the highway, if that is true it’s really concerning. I know this truck has the MDS system but I can’t tell if it’s operating or not. I never hear or feel any change in the way it runs so maybe that is causing the mileage. There is no engine light or anything so seems unlikely there is an issue with that.
Any help or insights will be greatly appreciated.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I don't have a Power Wagon but do have a 2500 with 6.4 and 4.10's. I average 12.0 overall and about 16 to 17 on the highway but at 70 with 35's I could see it being lower. Mine is 100% stock with factory tires.
Wait till others with a Power Wagon chime in

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Power Wagons have the 4.10's. The 6.4's aren't going to get the mileage like the 5.7's do...

I put a tank of 89 octane into my Longhorn and it looked like my mileage bumped up a bit....not much. I've been running 87 since the prices of gas jumped. Finally got around to a full tank of 89 and took a trip on the I90 for a day trip averaging higher 70's on the way home. Was pushing close to 14MPGs. Wasn't quite there but close.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I make everyone so mad when I say don’t buy a truck if you want good MPG. But in all seriousness, I’ve never considered the lift/tire changes and what it does to MPG so I’ve learned a ton more. I will be curious what other power wagon guys chime in with.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, I am new to Ram ownership and this forum. I recently bought a 19 power wagon 27000 miles on it with 35s that I do really like but the mpg is appalling. Around town I can get in the mid teens but the average is much lower because anytime you get near the gas pedal it drops to like 6 so it destroys the average. This is all in a totally unloaded vehicle. I drive 20-30 minutes to and from work on open highway. At 70 and up steady state cruising on flat level road it says 10mpg. I’m getting about 270 miles per tank also. My driving is very normal and a good combination of town and highway.
I have been looking for answers on the forums etc and while there is a lot of discussion about the mileage no one seems to have any real answers. I see a lot of people saying they get mid or high teens on the highway, if that is true it’s really concerning. I know this truck has the MDS system but I can’t tell if it’s operating or not. I never hear or feel any change in the way it runs so maybe that is causing the mileage. There is no engine light or anything so seems unlikely there is an issue with that.
Any help or insights will be greatly appreciated.
A heavier truck, lil bigger than 1500, lifted, 35's, pushing more mass, you are not gonna get Prius mileage, just saying. Yours may be a bit low, but driving habits, conditions, speed, temps, traffic, your particular habits on driving, even PSI and good tier fuel all average in there on MPG, just a saying.

ADDED: Now I just got a 1500, stock height, Stock tire size, but heavier AT3W tires. I try to not destroy the skinny pedal, no hard take offs from lights, drive reasonable, carry no extra weight in truck, use good fuel, keep an eyeball on psi of tires (when cold), almost always use CC on highways, and I can get 13-17 in town, and maybe low 20's on highway, but usually 18-19 ish, and a constant 12.2 when towing total of 6-7,000 lbs.. But a lot goes into driving habits and conditions, etc.
ALL above IMHO .....

ADDED MORE: Unless the MDS system was tuned out, you may not even notice it, especially with the 6.4 more than a 5.7. Run in manual mode gear 8 and that keeps the MDS off, but U have to go into it every time U put truck in drive. Again, back to conditions, truck conditions and driving habits.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I didn't buy the TRUCK for mileage, I bought it for towing power and comfort. I don't use it much for regular driving, mostly towing the camper. It weights about 7500 pounds, and maybe another 1500 of cargo in the truck. I get about 9 mpg average while towing with the 6.4 and stock tires. I'm not complaining. We have a trip comming up from Ohio to South Dakota next month. It will be an adventure....

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Sure the mileage in my Power Wagon is terrible, but better than I thought it would be when I ordered it.
Frankly, I only lost about 2mpgs after trading off my 1500 Laramie w/3:21 and 33's...

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I "Had" a power wagon and what you are getting for mpg falls right in line with what I was getting. I see some people claiming much better but that is a hard pill to swallow for me.

At the end of the day, you buy a PW for it's offroad abilities, not towing or mpg.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
It should be noted that the 8spd trans made a big difference in the 6.4l efficiency...
Did the 2019 have that yet?

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
16 mpg is what I average on highway and the only way to get better in city is driving habits or drive less.. but I have seen a big improvement ever since doing modifications to my transmission just no improvement on the highway. My offroad mileage is 10 mpg better .. from low 30 liters/100k to low 20 liters/100k.
I have 4.10's with 35s and absolutely love the 6.4 Hemi.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
6.4 is thirsty around town. Get used to it. Best I've seen on mine was 19.5, hand calculated, on a 600 mile trip unloaded.

shagya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5,7 L HEMI
I make everyone so mad when I say don’t buy a truck if you want good MPG. But in all seriousness, I’ve never considered the lift/tire changes and what it does to MPG so I’ve learned a ton more. I will be curious what other power wagon guys chime in with.
RAM Trucks are rather responsible for SPG (Smile Per Gallon:)) or (Satisfaction Per Gallon:favorites37:), how you want! So I feel at the moment as new owner.:cool:

Last edited:

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
yup,i knew what i was in for when i went power wagon.i don't commute anymore so i really don't care what i'm getting for mileage.i got mine for comfort and winter driving ability.if i wanted decent mileage i would have kept my '12 2500 slt with the 5.7.it kills me when guys complain about mileage without doing any research before the purchase.it's well known powerwagons are notoriously thirsty.the published mpg #'s are generous to say the least.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What tyres you have on? Average speed among this distance? Seems Gen. 5 are more economical.
My 2016 HEMI Rebel make 14.25 MPG with 35" All Terrain tyres and AWE exhaust and it's NOT a Power Wagon.
Toyo 35 rt's . Mostly highway you can divide miles by time for average

Attachments

• IMG_20220608_152325390.jpg
    IMG_20220608_152325390.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220722_171451124.jpg
    IMG_20220722_171451124.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 20

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I "Had" a power wagon and what you are getting for mpg falls right in line with what I was getting. I see some people claiming much better but that is a hard pill to swallow for me.

At the end of the day, you buy a PW for it's offroad abilities, not towing or mpg.

Not me I bought it for the mpg and so far has been pretty good. The Moab trips are just perks... been there 3x in this as I only live about 800 miles away. Usually go once a year or so been going since the 80's. Either biking,jeeping or trucking ,,,,,:)

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yup,i knew what i was in for when i went power wagon.i don't commute anymore so i really don't care what i'm getting for mileage.i got mine for comfort and winter driving ability.if i wanted decent mileage i would have kept my '12 2500 slt with the 5.7.it kills me when guys complain about mileage without doing any research before the purchase.it's well known powerwagons are notoriously thirsty.the published mpg #'s are generous to say the least.
Ram doesn't publish pw mpg numbers I don't think any hd trucks do