6.7 Cummins High Speed Acceleration Issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I purchased a new '18 Ram 2500 in June of this year. I've noticed that when I am at highway speed (85 mph or so) and floor it, it really doesn't just take off. The turbocharger boost gauge increases and the rpms increase, but then they decrease slightly and hold with no shifting all while the pedal is held all the way down. Is this normal? No check engine lights, no other symptoms.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Normal

Couple of things. Obviously these are HD trucks intended for towing so not really known for acceleration and speed. Second, they react better to a steady pedal push/acceleration then romping it to the floor. If you romp it to the floor (especially from a stop) the torque management kicks in and it will fall on it's face for a few seconds. They also rely on the low end torque for pulling so won't always downshift right away, it will chug through at a lower rpm. And lastly, with 3.42 gearing it just isn't going to respond like a sports car.
85 is getting up there as well. It will respond better below that.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
What ^ he said. HD are built to get moving from a full stop with a load. I like to describe low end torque how i describe my motorcycle. Its not fast but it can rip a stump out of the ground. (Not really but you get the picture)

OP
OP
J

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Normal

Couple of things. Obviously these are HD trucks intended for towing so not really known for acceleration and speed. Second, they react better to a steady pedal push/acceleration then romping it to the floor. If you romp it to the floor (especially from a stop) the torque management kicks in and it will fall on it's face for a few seconds. They also rely on the low end torque for pulling so won't always downshift right away, it will chug through at a lower rpm. And lastly, with 3.42 gearing it just isn't going to respond like a sports car.

I certainly appreciate your explanation. I upgraded from a twin turbo ecoboost F-150 to this. I've read elsewhere about the torque management system and suspected that may have something to do with the rpm's being governed back down after a hard accelerate. Thanks again!

OP
OP
J

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Normal

Feel free to respond to my other newbie thread regarding a sharp smell that occurs after I shut the truck off :)