6.7 running hot at times

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomhavingfun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 2017 Ram 3500 Trademan is running hot when towing a 10,000 pound fifth-wheel or when it is in stop and go traffic. My truck has 77,000 miles on it and runs great, and has the H.O. 6.7 Cummins and runs cool when it isn't towing or in heavy traffic. EGR valve hasn't been serviced , could this be part of the problem?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
You have to check for codes with a quality scanner or AlphaOBD. If no codes check the cooling stack. Bugs and debris clogging the cooling fins can make it run hot. Check and make sure coolant level is up also. To add, the fan clutch should be locking up making the fan roar when it gets hot. Can you hear it?
Post back what you find.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
What temp do you call hot? When was the last time you tested the coolant, T-state? With 77K on OD I would be getting the EGR serviced. Not sure what year they started using AGS, I check to see if you have them and if do check to see if they are working properly.

OP
OP
T

tomhavingfun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Water temp. running at 228 and oil running at 237 , these were the high points and cool back down to 212- 215 [water] and 220- 222 [0il] and the fan didn't always come on. EGR is being serviced on Tuesday and no codes were set.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
While a clogged EGR could cause overheating it's highly unlikely in your late model truck. That's more an issue for the pre DEF trucks (and why those trucks required EGR service/cleaning)

Let us know if it helps, I'll be surprised if it does though.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
My 2011 had a fan clutch that started to not come on sometimes when the heat went up, so I installed the Strictly Diesel FC conversion hub and went with a 2006 5.9 Cummins fan and a 1997 Ford Powerstroke viscuous fan clutch. This more mechanical FC solved the electrical FC issues. That FC should start the coolant fan it 217F, and if you don't hear it that means either the control system or the electric clutch itself has failed.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I just found out that the fan clutch went bad and is being replaced. Serviced the EGR and I hope this problem is fixed with a few extra things done so I won't have anymore problems. Thank you for your responses.

Not hearing the fan was the first clue and is why I asked. Sounds like you got it.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I just found out that the fan clutch went bad and is being replaced. Serviced the EGR and I hope this problem is fixed with a few extra things done so I won't have anymore problems. Thank you for your responses.
Huh? Serviced the EGR? Why, it requires no service in your 2017. :insane:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Huh? Serviced the EGR? Why, it requires no service in your 2017. :insane:

EGR valve servicing is required and consists of inspection and cleaning.
That procedure had nothing to do with his issue, which was a faulty fan clutch as suspected.