6.7 Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kroni

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope this question is ok in this section...

Per my window sticker it seems I have the 68RFE 6 speed transmission. This afternoon after a 20 minute drive with the engine at normal operating temp, I pulled the truck into my garage and checked the tranny fluid. I had the trans in neutral and engine running and the fluid level was exactly in the middle of cold and hot on the stick. I feel like it needs some fluid, am I correct or is this the proper level it should be at?

Thanks

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What was the trans temp when you checked it? I believe FCA considers "Hot" on the dipstick to correspond with around 180*

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
being that the transmission was neither Hot or Cold, right in the middle is probably good. 20 minutes driving probably just barely got the transmission up a normal operation range, if this was from a cold start then the engine was barely up to temp.
Unless there is a problem, I'd leave the fluid alone

OP
OP
Kroni

Kroni

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks all. I was about to add some...

I drove 20 minutes to my VFW post and shut it down for about an hour. Then started and drove the 20 minutes home. Mostly up hill but not driving hard. I’ll leave the trans fluid alone and check it next time it’s definitely hot.