6.7 weird tranny issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vitti821

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a flood 2018 2500 laramie longhorn truck (this is how i do things) and i have replaced a couple computers on the floor nothing too crazy.

BUT my tranny is giving me some issues. Truck is deleted and tuned and I get a low line pressure code as well as the truck neutrals out sometimes when shifting from 4/5/6 back into 1 but if you turn the truck off and back on its fine until it happens again. Also the truck shifts fine if you use the manual shift option on the gear selector.
Had the truck brought to a transmission shop and he tested line pressure and other things and said he thinks the tranny should be working.

I had replaced the TCM at the passenger kick board area. Does that need to be programmed by dodge? or does anyone have any other recomendations?
(everything else in the truck is working as it should)

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
What could possibly be wrong with a truck that is deleted and tuned? Reading some of these posts would lead you to believe that tuning and deleting is the answer to any and all problems there could possibly be, might even cure cancer. ;)
Also a Dodge (Ram) dealer will not touch a truck that has been tuned and deleted.

OP
OP
V

vitti821

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What could possibly be wrong with a truck that is deleted and tuned? Reading some of these posts would lead you to believe that tuning and deleting is the answer to any and all problems there could possibly be, might even cure cancer. ;)
Also a Dodge (Ram) dealer will not touch a truck that has been tuned and deleted.
didn't know it was deleted before i bought it at the auction. thanks for your assistance very helpful.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Deleting the EGR cooler, Valve, DEF, DPF and SCR has nothing to do with your transmission. Most likely water got into the electrical since your issues are sporadic. If it was saltwater, you may experience more issues down the road as salt takes a toll on metal connections.

There are different delete types. Some keep everything in tact, nothing is removed, just disconnected. A tuner then fills in the blanks the computer is looking for. Some deletes are just that, it's all removed and the tuner tricks the system into thinking its still there and within parameters.

Here's where the issues with "Tuners" arise. Some have poorly written software or poor quality hardware. There were a few good quality, time proven companies that were doing them. Bully Dog, MM3/RaceMe, Sinister, EFI Live and some others to name a few. Trucks have been running for years without issue using them. Now, they are mostly gone. They've either moved up north to Canada or offer only farm use or race track applications. The EPA is going after them and the shops that were deleting these trucks. Even in states that don't require emissions testing, the inspector, during the yearly safety inspection, is supposed to check to see that the vehicle still has the original emissions equipment.

Next, some tuners just got stupid! Adding 200+ HP with the turn of a switch. "Rolling Coal"... you should get a ticket! If you tear out a transmission or kick a rod out the side of the motor, it's on you. They weren't built for that much HP.

"Dealerships won't work on the truck." Maybe in some areas but this is not 100% true. I can take you to a Ford Dealership that did deletes on the 6.0's and 6.4's. You most likely won't get any warranty work done but some service departments are what's keeping the doors open at the dealership. This may all change with EPA crackdowns but we aren't there yet.

There are different reasons folks delete. Kids wanting speed and rolling coal or the guy who's truck just threw a "Service DEF See Dealer" Limp mode in 150 miles... message. The Dealership says you need a DEF pump and there's none in the county and don't know when they'll have one. Or, "We can fix it" and it's going to cost $6,000. The guy goes home and reads on the internet that he can remove the code throwing parts for around $1500 but he has to cheat the system to do it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Tuned 6.7's can be h3ll on a 68rfe transmission, could just be trashed? Did you drain the fluid at all, change the filters? If so are you Sure you got the filters on good? Have you checked the connector on the outside of the trans that plugs into the shift solenoid for corrosion?

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Tuned 6.7's can be h3ll on a 68rfe transmission, could just be trashed? Did you drain the fluid at all, change the filters? If so are you Sure you got the filters on good? Have you checked the connector on the outside of the trans that plugs into the shift solenoid for corrosion?
In all fairness, my first thought was someone was having transmission issues and purposely parked the truck in a prone to flood area prior to a storm rolling in.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
In all fairness, my first thought was someone was having transmission issues and purposely parked the truck in a prone to flood area prior to a storm rolling in.

Lol, that crossed my mind as well.

OP
OP
V

vitti821

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

well the transmission shop tested everything and he said it seems like the transmission doesnt show any mechanical issues, we flushed it, changed all filters, have not yet checked the connector on the outside of the trans

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The dealership just down the road from me told me they will work on deleted trucks.

The EPA, and no manual transmission option for the Cummins, is the reason why I won't have one of those things.

You couldn't give me a flood truck; full of low bid Chinese sensors....ain't no way, no how. I won't even buy used stuff anymore. But that's just me.

While I'm at it, Why in the world do people build houses in a flood plain in the first place? It's a FLOOD plain!

OP
OP
V

vitti821

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealership just down the road from me told me they will work on deleted trucks.

The EPA, and no manual transmission option for the Cummins, is the reason why I won't have one of those things.

You couldn't give me a flood truck; full of low bid Chinese sensors....ain't no way, no how. I won't even buy used stuff anymore. But that's just me.

While I'm at it, Why in the world do people build houses in a flood plain in the first place? It's a FLOOD plain!
he flipped it into a river in oklahoma lol