6.7L MAP sensor cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
If you own a stock 6.7L CTD(or any turbo diesel) with the EGR system still working, I would add MAP sensor cleaning apart of your routine maintenance. Maybe every oil change or every other oil change depending on your driving style. I used to do it every other oil change back when I still had the EGR system installed on my truck. I don't know why, but this has always slipped my mind when responding to someone asking about routine maintenance on a 6.7L CTD.

Why clean the MAP sensor?

The MAP sensor reads the pressure(load) after the intercooler to know how much fuel to inject. A clogged MAP sensor may read the wrong pressure causing the computer to inject the wrong amout of fuel for the load which may cause a decrease in fuel mileage and an increase in DPF regens. A clogged MAP sensor may also be slow to react to changes in pressure which will cause a slow throttle response.

The reason why it gets clogged is because it is right next to the EGR valve on the intake horn where exhaust gasses are reintroduced to incoming air. This throws a massive amount of soot on the sensor. In many cases, it will not throw a code until it is completely clogged which by that time may be too late to clean. The sensor is about $45 online so it is not too expensive if it needs to be replaced.

Where is it and how to clean it?

Map sensor is located in the pics below. All you need is a #15 torx head and a can of electrical cleaner. Brake clean is not recommended due to certain chemicals found in some brands that may damage the resister on the MAP sensor. Just remove and spray until clean. You may need to let it soak for a while if it is really clogged. It should take less than 10 minutes to do.

6-7L-MAP.png

6-7-L-MAP-2.png

Last edited: