6.7L ..... Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fnfal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well guys need some advise... I am finally looking at trading in my 2008 2500 HD with 5.7 hemi. I pull a 5th wheel half a dozen times a year. The rest of the time just a grocery getter... I am looking at a 2014 and a 2017 3500 with the 6.7L Cummins. Both trucks have about 130k miles.
My truck has been AWESOME! but pulling the 5th wheel at $4 bucks a gallon is ...Well..it SUX! My truck is is just starting to get some rust and figured maybe its time. My truck has 146k miles.... When pulling the trailer, I get about 7-8 a gallon.
Your thoughts and insite would be much appreciated.....
Thanks in advance
Guy

Last edited:
OP
OP
fnfal

fnfal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. My 5th wheel is 8,000 lbs. So if i may ask, what kind of mileage are you getting with your 6.4 when towing?

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
11-12 with 3.73 axle and old Chrysler 6 speed transmission

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I can tell you with my 3500 towing any of the last three fifth wheels I have had ( all over 10k), it basically got 10 mpg while towing. Now it did it with ease, but there isnt any free lunch out there. The only thing I would add as a positive for sure, is the exhaust brake on the diesel is awesome! Insult to injury though is the cost of diesel fuel here in northern indiana was at $6.40 couple of weeks ago...it has since dropped to $5.30 a gallon. So you paying $4 for gas isnt that bad.

And then theres the every 10k miles approximately ....fuel filters (2) swap that is mandatory at a cost of $120 for the pair. In the end the diesel was worth it for me. Driving around a truck that weighs 8K pounds by itself, in my book needs the grunt of the diesel. I will admit though this isnt my daily driver.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fnfal

fnfal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can tell you with my 3500 towing any of the last three fifth wheels I have had ( all over 10k), it basically got 10 mpg while towing. Now it did it with ease, but there isnt any free lunch out there. The only thing I would add as a positive for sure, is the exhaust brake on the diesel is awesome! Insult to injury though is the cost of diesel fuel here in northern indiana was at $6.40 couple of weeks ago...it has since dropped to $5.30 a gallon. So you paying $4 for gas isnt that bad.

And then theres the every 10k miles approximately ....fuel filters (2) swap that is mandatory at a cost of $120 for the pair. In the end the diesel was worth it for me. Driving around a truck that weighs 8K pounds by itself, in my book needs the grunt of the diesel.
Thank you... the cost of maintenance is one thing that always steered me away. Plus, I know gas engines very well, diesel is another story.
Thanks again for the replies.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you... the cost of maintenance is one thing that always steered me away. Plus, I know gas engines very well, diesel is another story.
Thanks again for the replies.

Cost of maintenance and up front cost is a wash at the end of the day (I've owned both) However that is a little skewed with the current recession we are in. Prior to the current crap show we are under diesel was the same price as the cheap gas in my area and now it is higher.

My vote is still the diesel. My caveat would be if you are daily driving it a ton of short trips, (like to work that is 5 miles away)

OP
OP
fnfal

fnfal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cost of maintenance and up front cost is a wash at the end of the day (I've owned both) However that is a little skewed with the current recession we are in. Prior to the current crap show we are under diesel was the same price as the cheap gas in my area and now it is higher.

My vote is still the diesel. My caveat would be if you are daily driving it a ton of short trips, (like to work that is 5 miles away)

Not many short trips. Everything around here is 30 minutes or more away. The current Crap show we all are forced to deal with has put a real damper on our trips. We had planned to go to South Carolina and Mount Rushmore. But with the dang gas so hi we decided to sit tight. Like I mentioned my 5.7 eats gas when pulling. I have a tuner, KN fresh Air Intake and tuned exhaust, still if I hit any hills I drop down to 6mpg....
Thanks for the input..

Last edited:

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Always a tough call. It sounds like this might be a daily driver for you? If so, the increase in non-towing MPG needs to be considered also. The 6.7 will get pretty good MPG compared to the gasser, but that will vary depending on if the 3500's are dually, what the gears are, etc. Mine is not a daily driver, but will pull 21.5mpg hand calculated on long interstate stretches at 80mph (2500, 3.73 gears, all stock) and around 16mpg in town.

I've had both gas and diesel 3/4ton's over the years. I just prefer the big torque motors. Makes towing so much more relaxed, especially here in the Ozarks Mts and out in the Rockies. I do my own maint, so that cost is not that big a deal for me. MPG overall favors the diesel enough that the price difference there is mostly a wash, or favors the diesel, depending on the variables.

Best of luck with your decision.

Last edited:

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Check to see if that truck had it's turbo or actuator replaced. DPF's seem to die on some trucks at that milage, too. I, personally, could count on 1 hand the number of times I got over 17mpg out of a tank over 100000miles.

You'll love it for towing; you'll yell sentences that would make a sailor blush when you fight with the rear fuel filter or the transmission lines that are in the way of the oil filter... Beer on standby.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
maybe a newer gas 2500 with the 8 speed and 6.4 would do the trick..

I wish I had the 8 speed, but man that ridiculous lack-of-service access!!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
For an 8k 5th wheel, I vote 2500 with 6.4 and 8 speed. 4.10 gears if you csn, but not as critical with the 8 speed.

My 17 6.4 6 speed has been great and would tow an 8k 5th wheel no problem. Towing I average around 11mpg, pretty good for a large gas engine. I don't know what the Cummins gets towing similar weight.

Running empty you'd love the 6.4. It's a whole lot faster than a 7klb truck has any right to be. You can't go wrong with either really at 8k loaded trailer weight. Personally, I prefer not to deal with the extra diesel maintenance and I don't need a diesel for the weights I'm towing.

Empty I can get up over 17mpg average on the highway. Again, pretty impressive I think for what it is. Good luck.

Last edited:

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You'll love it for towing; you'll yell sentences that would make a sailor blush when you fight with the rear fuel filter or the transmission lines that are in the way of the oil filter... Beer on standby.
I really don't get the rear fuel filter difficulty complaints. I don't have any issues changing it out on mine. It is pretty easy to get to with a filter wrench. Some fuel does come out when you loosen it, even after using the drain at the bottom. But I just wedge an oil pan below it, above the driveshaft, and it's basically a no mess deal.

On the oil filter, at least on my 2500, there are no lines in the way. And you'll want to get one of those screw on plugs for when you pull it out of it's cubby hole. Getting the new one started can be challenging the first time though.

OP
OP
fnfal

fnfal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the feedback guys... Appreciate it

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Well guys need some advise... I am finally looking at trading in my 2008 2500 HD with 5.7 hemi. I pull a 5th wheel half a dozen times a year. The rest of the time just a grocery getter... I am looking at a 2014 and a 2017 3500 with the 6.7L Cummins. Both trucks have about 130k miles.
My truck has been AWESOME! but pulling the 5th wheel at $4 bucks a gallon is ...Well..it SUX! My truck is is just starting to get some rust and figured maybe its time. My truck has 146k miles.... When pulling the trailer, I get about 7-8 a gallon.
Your thoughts and insite would be much appreciated.....
Thanks in advance
Guy

No!

When you do the math; you won't get your investment back.

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
I just finished towing my RV trailer 6200 km ( roughly 5000 miles ). Did Gaspe Peninsula. Leaving Perce in Nova Scotia, is a 17% grade uphill, 1 km long ( around .6 miles ). My 6.7l Cummins walked up the hill like, what hill? Doing the downhills, there were times on 13% grades I didn't use the brake pedal. Its a light trailer, only 5000 lbs range.. still..it was a no brainer tow. When I am on vacation, the LAST thing I want to do is watch gauges, or worry about the rig. I averaged 16 mpg ( roughly 14 mpg US ) for the entire trip.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I just finished towing my RV trailer 6200 km ( roughly 5000 miles ). Did Gaspe Peninsula. Leaving Perce in Nova Scotia, is a 17% grade uphill, 1 km long ( around .6 miles ). My 6.7l Cummins walked up the hill like, what hill? Doing the downhills, there were times on 13% grades I didn't use the brake pedal. Its a light trailer, only 5000 lbs range.. still..it was a no brainer tow. When I am on vacation, the LAST thing I want to do is watch gauges, or worry about the rig. I averaged 16 mpg ( roughly 14 mpg US ) for the entire trip.

The question is, how much extra did you pay to walk up the hill, and how many times? That is what this discussion is about. If people just want one or like it, fine. But financially it only works for routine haulers above 12k pound loads.

That was not the case before electronic injection, exhaust aftertreatment, and ultra low sulfur diesel fuel made the diesel option drastically more expensive. Beginning in 2007. I worked for Cummins during that period.

OP
OP
fnfal

fnfal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks All,
gonna look at the 6.4 gasser. I think the diesel just isn't worth it for as much as I tow.
Thanks again for all the insight!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Thanks All,
gonna look at the 6.4 gasser. I think the diesel just isn't worth it for as much as I tow.
Thanks again for all the insight!

If you go Hemi, be sure to use a premium oil and filter. The roller lifters and camshaft are marginally lubricated - they never fixed the design. App. 5-10% of these engines fail without proper lubrication.

I would buy this engine again, knowing how to lubricate it. It's still the best HD on the market, IMHO.

Last edited: