6 speed swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87bluebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 04 ram 1500 5.7 hemi 4wd. And want to put a six speed manual transmission in it. My plan is to find a g56 from a 06-08 ram 2500 with the transfer case flywheel and clutch. And on the interior get clutch and brake pedals, steering column and gauge cluster from a 03-05 v6 or 4.7 5 speed truck. Wire the clutch pedal into start and cruise circuits and wire in the reverse light. And have ecm programmed to delete transmission codes. Questions I have not been able to to figure out are:
what exactly to use for driveshafts will I need custom driveshafts?
Is the g56 longer or shorter than the automatic?
are speed sensors different?
Who can do the programming of the ecm?
Is there anything else I am missing?
Has this been done before?
I tried searching but couldn't find much of anything

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 04 ram 1500 5.7 hemi 4wd. And want to put a six speed manual transmission in it. My plan is to find a g56 from a 06-08 ram 2500 with the transfer case flywheel and clutch. And on the interior get clutch and brake pedals, steering column and gauge cluster from a 03-05 v6 or 4.7 5 speed truck. Wire the clutch pedal into start and cruise circuits and wire in the reverse light. And have ecm programmed to delete transmission codes. Questions I have not been able to to figure out are:
what exactly to use for driveshafts will I need custom driveshafts?
Is the g56 longer or shorter than the automatic?
are speed sensors different?
Who can do the programming of the ecm?
Is there anything else I am missing?
Has this been done before?
I tried searching but couldn't find much of anything
From what I've seen, just from a parts standpoint, the transmission (g56) alone is $3k to $5k. Add on drive shaft, clutches, flywheel, etc and you're looking at upwards of $7k... you can get a manual truck for a similar price. Depending on mileage, you can probably sell the truck for $4‐5k and only fork over ~$3k for the new truck instead of spend more than double on parts for the existing truck. What's your opinion? I understand if the truck is your baby and you dont want to sell it. I'm the same way. I'm just looking at it from a financial standpoint

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP

87bluebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have had this truck for almost 8 years and have been through a lot together so I don't want a new truck. And it's at 178 thousand miles tranny and axles are getting in bad shape so wouldn't get much for a trade if I went that route.

I found a 2wd 4.7 5speed ram with blown axle for 1000 that could provide the interior pieces I would need and it's same color with very little rust so spare body parts I can use and the 4.7 can be saved as a spare for my dad's Truck and can sell its 5 speed and scrap frame and cab to recoup some of the purchase price. And on car-part.com there is several g56 transmissions for 1300-2000 and they occasionally pop up on Craigslist and Facebook market under 1500. then i will need clutch flywheel and driveshafts plus computer tune. figure could do it for around 3-4 thousand.

Benjamin Pigg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've done some research on this swap as well. I have a 05 2500 Hemi truck I want to G56 swap. My speed bump is fooling the computer that the truck has a manual trans., or just replacing it. I know with the 3rd Gen Cummins trucks you can use a Smarty Tuner to reprogram the computer. I don't know about the Hemi. Everything I've looked up is for a 2500, I have no clue if a 1500 would be the same or different.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man, it sounds like you've got a solid plan.
Have you made any progress with this swap?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've done some research on this swap as well. I have a 05 2500 Hemi truck I want to G56 swap. My speed bump is fooling the computer that the truck has a manual trans., or just replacing it. I know with the 3rd Gen Cummins trucks you can use a Smarty Tuner to reprogram the computer. I don't know about the Hemi. Everything I've looked up is for a 2500, I have no clue if a 1500 would be the same or different.
Ha! You have the easy route. Manual trans was an option behind a hemi in a 2500. All you need is manual trans 2500 PCM. Golden.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah that is like putting good money after bad.The things you want to change are big bucks the math does not come out in your favor .I would do like the other post said ,sell your truck and upgrade to what you really want and don't have to brake your hump doing it. Just saying,but good luck to you on what you think is good.