6 speed vs. 8 speed trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Whats the benefits for ram 1500 with the 8 speed over the 6 speed models. Is it just fuel economy? Maybe better towing? what is it?

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Subscribed.. I'm curious too. As you said, fuel economy is definitely one. And with the gears being "closer together" I guess you could say, the motor can stay at lower rpms, so the motor does less work, allowing for better fuel economy and possibly better low end power. But besides that, not sure of many other advantages. I do like the 8 speed change, takes better advantage of the Hemis capabilities.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definetly a lower first gear so towing should be more managable with the 3.55 gear sets. After that not sure

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, the increased number of gears provides more "options". Meaning the vehicle will be more likely to find the correct, most efficient gear for any specific speed or load. It also allows for a "deeper" first couple of gears to get rolling quickly and pull strong and clean down low, while still having a nice couple of "Tall" overdrive gears for when running flat, empty and for max economy.

Six speed, or in the older days, Three speeds, were forced to live with a narrow gear ratio to select from. So you either had a "stump puller" or a "highway cruiser" with less than optimal performance in between. That is why old timers searched or "another optional ratio swap" , that being rear end gears. Obviously those swaps were expensive and time consuming.
So you picked the best option for the majority of your type of use. Then either screamed along, or bogged it when outside that comfort zone. Back then, you would find a 'sweet spot' and then run at that Rpm (Speed) and be forced to live with it. This could be very frustrating.

SO, Eight speeds are more likely to cover a broader range of performance scenarios.

The only real down side is that the truck will now almost be constantly shifting, searching for the right gear to settle in on to handle whatever it is you are doing at the time.

If programmed correctly, and in good running condition, this should be fairly transparent. It just is hard for "old timers" to accept technology and change. Instead of fearing "running out of gear", they fear the perceived additional potential for parts failure, complain about the initial purchase cost and complexity of these new modern systems.

Hopefully the Eight speed will prove itself over time and be accepted as being both Reliable and Effective and shut down the "doubters" on both sides of the argument.

Reactions: ZCR

Exhausted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
as far as economy goes I have a 2013 5.7L 4x4 6-speed
8200 miles
average on 100% gas is 14.8-15.2
60/40 mix driving

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
My 6 speed feels like it's going to fall out of my truck sometimes, is the 8 any smoother?

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I've seen from the 8 speeds, it keeps the engine in the power zone better than the 6 speed. Also, I think it can hold up to more power.

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As Mugster said the 8 speed shifts nice and smooth. And also at WOT it keeps you in the power band when changing gears for a nice constant pull all the way through.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 8-speed is probably going to prove to be better than the 6 in many areas, but I wanted the 6 speed. I just hate buying things like that when they come out for the first model year. Same thing with the new diesel. My dealers service techs are well versed in working on the 6-speed in case of any problems. I wasn't convinced of that yet with the 8-speed. If it proves itself after a couple model years I'll be looking for it in my next truck.

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've got the 6 speed with a 3.92 rear end and so far my truck has always found the right gear. This is, however, my first automatic and I have to say I'm not a fan. Manual transmissions are easier to maintain and I'm almost positive I could get better gas mileage on easy drives if I were controlling the shifts. (Yes I know I can drive around slapping the shifter back and fourth all day but I prefer a clutch)

OilCityOperator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do all 2014's 6speed and 8speed come with the rotary shift knob? For 2013's only the 8speed had it right? That thing throws me off , I'm not sure if I could get used to having it

BMD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 x1 and 2014 x2
Engine
Hemi
I now have two with 8 speed both are getting around 21 on hwy, and avg 17-18 smooth I think they have hit a home run if they hold up.

BMD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 x1 and 2014 x2
Engine
Hemi
Do all 2014's 6speed and 8speed come with the rotary shift knob? For 2013's only the 8speed had it right? That thing throws me off , I'm not sure if I could get used to having it

I only saw it on the 8 SPD both the trucks I just bought have it and after a day the knob is a non issue

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 6 spd with 3.55's currently, I would love to feel an 8 spd with 3.92's. I will be waiting until we are at least into 15' before getting into an 8spd. That being said mechanics will be more familiar with them.

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 8 speed has 20% less parasitic loss than the 6 speed so it is a much more efficient transmission. It has been around for over 4 years in BMW, Rolls Royce and several other upscale cars.

The ZF8 has a torque rating around 520 foot pounds, the 6 speed is rated maximum around 420 foot pounds. So the 8 speed is much more robust. Remember the current Hemi puts out 410 foot pounds of torque.

The extra gears of the 8 speed and lower ratios make it easier to get loads going so it puts less stress on the the engine helping with longevity.

The ZF8 is actually a much better transmission.

Big Tool

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ZF 8sp was the primary driving force to me getting a Ram truck.

My wife has it in her v6 grand cherokee and it is awesome... The only problem with the grand cherokee is the stupid eco mode... Turning off eco mode is like instant tuning for the grand cherokee.. The GC in eco mode is a slug.. Eco off it feels like you're driving a bmw..

Shifts are lightning fast and very positive feeling.. It's grabbing gears and getting...

On the highway the Grand Cherokee holds 8th gear and hardly ever needs to downshift. This was surprising as our Yukon Denali with the 6.2 and 6sp would drop to 5th gear on small hills.. Very annoying and prevented much use of the cruise function.

You can really tell the gearing advantage when a trailer is hooked up.. I've towed a bit with the Grand Cherokee and it eliminates any lugging when shifting gears.

Fuel mileage with the Jeep GC is also very good.. On the highway it will easily get 24 mpg and my usual 50/50 city/highway mix nets 21 mpg..

I'm highly impressed with this transmission hooked up to both the Hemi and the V6.

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The ZF 8sp was the primary driving force to me getting a Ram truck.

My wife has it in her v6 grand cherokee and it is awesome... The only problem with the grand cherokee is the stupid eco mode... Turning off eco mode is like instant tuning for the grand cherokee.. The GC in eco mode is a slug.. Eco off it feels like you're driving a bmw..

Shifts are lightning fast and very positive feeling.. It's grabbing gears and getting...

On the highway the Grand Cherokee holds 8th gear and hardly ever needs to downshift. This was surprising as our Yukon Denali with the 6.2 and 6sp would drop to 5th gear on small hills.. Very annoying and prevented much use of the cruise function.

You can really tell the gearing advantage when a trailer is hooked up.. I've towed a bit with the Grand Cherokee and it eliminates any lugging when shifting gears.

Fuel mileage with the Jeep GC is also very good.. On the highway it will easily get 24 mpg and my usual 50/50 city/highway mix nets 21 mpg..

I'm highly impressed with this transmission hooked up to both the Hemi and the V6.

interesting info, thanks for sharing!

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
When do we have to change our tranny fluids 6&8 speeds 12-14?