6000 mile trip planned this summer pulling an open trailer. Any tips for securing the rig?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebanjoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im planning a 6000 Mile round trip from Virginia to the Rubicon Trail this summer. towing my 2016 RAM and 16 foot open tailer and 4x4.

The RAM 1500 will tow the load fine as we'll be about 5500lbs of trailer and 4x4. My biggest fear will be parking overnight at hotels and keeping the 'crack heads' from stealing me blind.
Thank god for Google street view maps to see where i'd be parking to assess the places I'll stop.

I think I have a decent plan to secure the trailer and rig properly with chained wheels and rig chained to the trailer itself. I've also made plans for the removal of important things to stop the 4x4 from being started on the trailer but this doesn't stop them from trying to take the whole rig, trailer and all.

I know it only takes a $100 Harbor Freight grinder to cut the chains. Bolt cutters will be hard too. My plans are to do as much as I can to make them think it isn't worth it and move on.

I'd thought about pulling the starter relay each night when I park so they can't crank the truck. With gas prices eating into my budget an updated alarm system probably isn't going to happen.

Am I right that the starter relay is unique and you can't pull another to use in the slot?

Any thoughts on what I am missing?

Thank you.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Watching this with interest as I recently did a 3000 mile trip with a MC on open trailer. My first suggestion is to seek out mom & pop motels, the single-story ones where you park right outside your door. Back the trailer in. My trailer is aluminum and I had the bike padlocked to trailer with multiple heavy chains,which make a hellacious racket when moved on the trailer. Of course, hitch and safety chains were all locked down as well and as you noted are easy to cut with a grinder—but that makes noise.

Next time I do a run like this I’ll spring for a battery-powered baby monitor with decent range and conceal it on the bottom side of the trailer at night. But sadly, if someone wants to steal trailer or contents badly enough they will find a way, regardless of whether it’s an open or box trailer.

best of luck,
DG

edit: you might also consider Air B&B options instead of motels/hotels. Many of them are well away from public view or “hangout” locations. Just a thought…

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Get a locking hitch pin.
Pull the starter relay and ignition fuse.
Put a bike cable lock from the lower radiator support to the hood latch.
Use a jackstand to remove a trailer wheel to take in the room.
That's what I'd do.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It would seem that a semi truck & trailer is easier to secure

Truckers park their rig within feet of the Mexican Border fence.
They remove their glad hands, ( air supply connection for the trailer brakes ), they also remove all the trailer lights that are reachable & those lights go into a cardboard barrel in the Armed Guards Gate House.
The semi trucks themselves are not allowed to stay on the property.
They park the semi truck at a secure lot at a truck stop for $9.00 for 24 hours

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Get a locking hitch pin.
for this^^^
Buy yourself the receiver and hitch/coupler lock from BOLT Also there's a look that goes inside the trailer coupler when the trailer is not connected to the truck. A chain between the trailer tires is another deterrent, of which there a padlock.
The locks match themselves to the physical truck key so don't have another key to worry about loosing.

OP
OP
thebanjoman

thebanjoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the suggestions.

The trailer has a 'bulldog hitch' I have a collar lock and a decent square lock itself, not the normal loop style lock. You cant get bold cutters inside the lock pin.
I have welded the hitch ball to the receiver so nobody could just use an electric impact to remove the ball itself. The receiver pin is hardened with a good quality lock.
I use hardened chains to lock the dual wheels on one side to the springs The lock itself mounts behind the wheels, hard to get cutters inside unless you jack up the trailer. It harder to unlock, even with key. To remove the wheels would require BOTH to be pulled on one side as the trailer can still roll with one attached.
I welded a cover to the trailer itself so the lock mounts with the hardened chain under the cover. It's a ***** to lock it up you can't get bold cutters into the lock.
The truck on the trailer is chained to the trailer itself. It has 'no steering wheel' no shifter, no fuel pump relay, no coil wire, and no fuses. I have wheel locks. Reassembly is easy once I get to my destination to take it off the trailer.
I have a motion alarm on the trailer. You bump the trailer it sets it off. You can't step onto the trailer itself without setting it off. The trailer itself has a GPS.

Any of the lock or chain cutting with a hand grinder will require work. I'm not saying it can't be done but I don't give them easy access.

I do NOT use Master Locks. I learned they are inferior and I can even pick them. I've done it and I have no locksmith experience or picking skills.

I use quality locks. They are placed in such a way that getting the proper leverage and access with picking tools are tougher than normal. They are not in the open.

I The truck I think is disabled well enough with the starter relay and ignition fuse pulled. Didn't think of chaining the hood down. I bring my tool bags into the room with me.

I also hadn't thought about BnBs to stay as we usually do the chains when we travel. We did have a window broken in Ohio when they took what they thought were tools out of a Harbor Freight Bag but it was a roll of paper towels and 2 quarts of oil. (our car was using oil so I always carried extra and checked each day) I left them in the rear seat and even with the window tinting the '**** monsters' broke the glass and took off with the bag.

Alll of what I have done, will do are just 'slow them down' measures. I have no delusions that if they want it bad enough and are given enough time they can get it.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Do you only plan to use the 4 X 4 at the Rubicon? If so, what would it cost to rent one there?
Seems like a lot of trouble, headache and expense, plus extra fuel for a cross country drive. Add all of that up, you may be just as well to leave yours at home.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you only plan to use the 4 X 4 at the Rubicon? If so, what would it cost to rent one there?
Seems like a lot of trouble, headache and expense, plus extra fuel for a cross country drive. Add all of that up, you may be just as well to leave yours at home.
not sure of any one who would rent one to do the rubicon trail in. an iconic trail and no way would have wanted to do it in a rented rig.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the suggestions.

The trailer has a 'bulldog hitch' I have a collar lock and a decent square lock itself, not the normal loop style lock. You cant get bold cutters inside the lock pin.
I have welded the hitch ball to the receiver so nobody could just use an electric impact to remove the ball itself. The receiver pin is hardened with a good quality lock.
I use hardened chains to lock the dual wheels on one side to the springs The lock itself mounts behind the wheels, hard to get cutters inside unless you jack up the trailer. It harder to unlock, even with key. To remove the wheels would require BOTH to be pulled on one side as the trailer can still roll with one attached.
I welded a cover to the trailer itself so the lock mounts with the hardened chain under the cover. It's a ***** to lock it up you can't get bold cutters into the lock.
The truck on the trailer is chained to the trailer itself. It has 'no steering wheel' no shifter, no fuel pump relay, no coil wire, and no fuses. I have wheel locks. Reassembly is easy once I get to my destination to take it off the trailer.
I have a motion alarm on the trailer. You bump the trailer it sets it off. You can't step onto the trailer itself without setting it off. The trailer itself has a GPS.

Any of the lock or chain cutting with a hand grinder will require work. I'm not saying it can't be done but I don't give them easy access.

I do NOT use Master Locks. I learned they are inferior and I can even pick them. I've done it and I have no locksmith experience or picking skills.

I use quality locks. They are placed in such a way that getting the proper leverage and access with picking tools are tougher than normal. They are not in the open.

I The truck I think is disabled well enough with the starter relay and ignition fuse pulled. Didn't think of chaining the hood down. I bring my tool bags into the room with me.

I also hadn't thought about BnBs to stay as we usually do the chains when we travel. We did have a window broken in Ohio when they took what they thought were tools out of a Harbor Freight Bag but it was a roll of paper towels and 2 quarts of oil. (our car was using oil so I always carried extra and checked each day) I left them in the rear seat and even with the window tinting the '**** monsters' broke the glass and took off with the bag.

Alll of what I have done, will do are just 'slow them down' measures. I have no delusions that if they want it bad enough and are given enough time they can get it.

Which way are you going run the trail? I would recommend dropping your tow vehicle in Reno or something unless you are planning on running it both ways. we ran it from George Town to Tahoe and it would have been a long drive back to get a tow rig. We drove our rigs (2 from Montana and 1 from Columbus Oh) there looked to be good parking and was a few rigs parked at the trail head but I know I would have been uneasy leaving my rig there for any period of time. Definitely in the middle of nowhere.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm wondering why you asked for tips on security after reading everything you've already done.
With all the locks, chains & welding the only thing left is to have an armed guard standing next to the rig.

OP
OP
thebanjoman

thebanjoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which way are you going run the trail? I would recommend dropping your tow vehicle in Reno or something unless you are planning on running it both ways. we ran it from George Town to Tahoe and it would have been a long drive back to get a tow rig. We drove our rigs (2 from Montana and 1 from Columbus Oh) there looked to be good parking and was a few rigs parked at the trail head but I know I would have been uneasy leaving my rig there for any period of time. Definitely in the middle of nowhere.
I have plans to drop off the vehicle at Loon Lake and the wife will pull the empty trailer to a place an hour from Loon to store the trailer and the wife will go off with friends. They live in Escalon CA, 3 hours away and He will run the trail with me, She will go off with my wife while I am running it. They will pick me up at the South Lake Tahoe side. That part of the trip I do have planned.

There are 'dic*heads' everywhere so parking overnight while hauling is a concern. AIrBNB is an option but I would also have to make sure there are no restrictions about parking a trailer.

I don't drive a Jeep, My vehicle of choice, I've had for 25 years is a Suzuki Samurai. Its also different driving someone else's vehicle with the potential of doing damage.

I think I have the trailer and truck prepared but wondered what other things I could do to add for the security. I've planned the trip to stop in Ohio the first night and be past the Chicaco area for the 2nd night and once I do that I'll choose less populated areas and the farther west I go the less I will have concerns until I get there.

I know its a lot of headaches and expense in fuel to haul my own stuff out there and back but I've been planning the trip for a few years when fuel prices were more reasonable. They aren't getting any better and I'm not getting any younger either so we're going.

OP
OP
thebanjoman

thebanjoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm wondering why you asked for tips on security after reading everything you've already done.
With all the locks, chains & welding the only thing left is to have an armed guard standing next to the rig.
I'd like to think I have this though through but there is always something I could easily add to this and something I haven't thought of.

The 'Armed Guard" has also been suggested. :)

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have plans to drop off the vehicle at Loon Lake and the wife will pull the empty trailer to a place an hour from Loon to store the trailer and the wife will go off with friends. They live in Escalon CA, 3 hours away and He will run the trail with me, She will go off with my wife while I am running it. They will pick me up at the South Lake Tahoe side. That part of the trip I do have planned.

There are 'dic*heads' everywhere so parking overnight while hauling is a concern. AIrBNB is an option but I would also have to make sure there are no restrictions about parking a trailer.

I don't drive a Jeep, My vehicle of choice, I've had for 25 years is a Suzuki Samurai. Its also different driving someone else's vehicle with the potential of doing damage.

I think I have the trailer and truck prepared but wondered what other things I could do to add for the security. I've planned the trip to stop in Ohio the first night and be past the Chicaco area for the 2nd night and once I do that I'll choose less populated areas and the farther west I go the less I will have concerns until I get there.

I know its a lot of headaches and expense in fuel to haul my own stuff out there and back but I've been planning the trip for a few years when fuel prices were more reasonable. They aren't getting any better and I'm not getting any younger either so we're going.
sounds like a good plan. It really is one of the coolest trails and a must do for anyone who likes to offroad. We spend 2 nights on the trail first at Little sluice which was cool and we were the only ones there and the next at Rubicon springs which was also really nice and nobody there. Being you are driving so far try and do the Dusey Ershim on the same trip..That was even cooler than the Rubicon altho I want to do the Rubicon again once was enough on the Dusy.

OP
OP
thebanjoman

thebanjoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sounds like a good plan. It really is one of the coolest trails and a must do for anyone who likes to offroad. We spend 2 nights on the trail first at Little sluice which was cool and we were the only ones there and the next at Rubicon springs which was also really nice and nobody there. Being you are driving so far try and do the Dusey Ershim on the same trip..That was even cooler than the Rubicon altho I want to do the Rubicon again once was enough on the Dusy.
I only have 20 days between when I leave and when I have to return so I am going to do 6 days out, 6 days back and 8 days 'trail/fudge time' She wants to hit 'Mt Rushmore' on the way back so it'll probably be 7 days back. If I was retired ( soon baby soon) I'd turn it into a month or longer trip and start in CA and work my way back through MOAB and then many places on the way back.

I think I have done everything I can to secure my truck and my load on the trailer for the trip. I'm still considering renting a 'closed' trailer for two weeks to make things even more secure.

I tried renting an RV and pulling my trailer but so many places shut me down for using my own trailer and wouldn't rent to me. Claimed liability and insurance were prohibiting them renting to me.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Closed trailer is what I was going to say. Back it up until its 2-4 inches away from a wall or post or something very solid, and no one will be able to open the doors even if a lock is picked or otherwise broken. This fully secures the whole trailer from being stolen too. I agree with the Airbnb choice. I have never had an issue at any I have ever stayed at. Good luck and write back and tell us about your trip!

OP
OP
thebanjoman

thebanjoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Closed trailer is what I was going to say. Back it up until its 2-4 inches away from a wall or post or something very solid, and no one will be able to open the doors even if a lock is picked or otherwise broken. This fully secures the whole trailer from being stolen too. I agree with the Airbnb choice. I have never had an issue at any I have ever stayed at. Good luck and write back and tell us about your trip!

Vacations are supposed to be a happy time. But my level of stress over choices of where to stay and will it be safe overnight are over the top.

I've done everything suggested for safely securing the vehicle and trailer overnight, even painting the fenders on the trailer differently than black (Kubota Orange) so its easily noticed from a distance.
Its over the top and looks 'funny' but you'll know my trailer from several hundred feet.

I'll be stressed the whole time, wondering if I have everything secured along the way and won't breath a sigh of relief till we get back home.

Maybe I'm overreacting but I've done what I can. Lets just hope I've done enough.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ah, don't let it stress you out. Over worrying does not accomplish anything, and is actually harmful. Lives are for more important than things. Be thoughtful (like you already are), and have confidence it will all work out. Like you said, "Vacations are supposed to be a happy time" So Enjoy!

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
She wants to hit 'Mt Rushmore' on the way back so it'll probably be 7 days back. I
We did MR last summer. Cool to see but 1-2 hours there are plenty enough. Check out Hill City, its a good place to walk around and window shop the main street.

MuleDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im planning a 6000 Mile round trip from Virginia to the Rubicon Trail this summer. towing my 2016 RAM and 16 foot open tailer and 4x4.

The RAM 1500 will tow the load fine as we'll be about 5500lbs of trailer and 4x4. My biggest fear will be parking overnight at hotels and keeping the 'crack heads' from stealing me blind.
Thank god for Google street view maps to see where i'd be parking to assess the places I'll stop.

I think I have a decent plan to secure the trailer and rig properly with chained wheels and rig chained to the trailer itself. I've also made plans for the removal of important things to stop the 4x4 from being started on the trailer but this doesn't stop them from trying to take the whole rig, trailer and all.

I know it only takes a $100 Harbor Freight grinder to cut the chains. Bolt cutters will be hard too. My plans are to do as much as I can to make them think it isn't worth it and move on.

I'd thought about pulling the starter relay each night when I park so they can't crank the truck. With gas prices eating into my budget an updated alarm system probably isn't going to happen.

Am I right that the starter relay is unique and you can't pull another to use in the slot?

Any thoughts on what I am missing?

Thank you.
Brother now what I’m gonna tell you is gonna come off as bat crap crazy but two things about me… I grew up playing alone & I’m a RED veteran that has a strange sense of humor (that was 3 things but anyway)….
I travel a lot between KY & Alabama and to say there is a low number of crack/**** heads would be a lie & if I’m telling a lying I’m flying & my size 14 feet are too big to let me fly…
First thing I always to is use mini straps for my load… truck stops have packs of 5 or 8
Also I use chain & locks … loop chain through everything (gas cans, tool boxes EVERYTHING!!!)
Next get to a tractor supply and buy you some big tail cow bells !!! Yes I said cow bells … attach them to your load, trailer by way of lock & chain ( I use old weapon locks, due to them being flexible) ****/crack heads don’t like loud noises (I’m like 98.6 % sure that this is a known fact)
Lastly (I think ) use a tarp to cover the whole trailer & Yes secure it down…
Some other things would be to fine out what room you are in (I prefer 2nd floor or better, provides a great overwatch position) once you know see if you can park your truck & trailer right by the windows of your room. I have been know you take up 3 to 4 parking spots at truck stops.

Also, one other thing is invest in a life size dummy !!!! Yes I said a life save already stuffed dummy…

So what I had to do a few times ( didn’t have to but, it was funny) dressed the Amazon special up in regular street clothes with a hat and placed him in the front seat.

Ensure to make the dummy (we’ll call Earl for training purposes) so ensure Earl is positioned so as to look as if he is reading or sleeping.

This is a great detriment to any ****/crack heads. I pray that your trip is well & if you passing through Oak Grove , Ky and need a spot to park for the night hit me up !!!!

#freemuledawg
#Earlisthedaddy
#putthepaintehereitaint
#askyamamaboutP